PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 05-07-2019, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 414.21 MB
A couple of uploads today:

1) a minor correction of tailgate markings on the Mitsubishi Strada Police pickup after seeing the real one on my recent 250km+ road trip

2) added RP-C941 to the DC-3 folder after seeing it on the British Pathe film archive mentioned earlier. This PAL aircraft was hijacked in the Philippines on 25 February 1975, Reuters footage showed the release of passengers and crew
Old 05-12-2019, 05:21 AM

I've sourced a number of recolors from Aero Asahi, but it looks like their designer also owned the (now offline) Kurukupackn papercraft website, which hosted helicopters, rockets and a few planes.

Wayback Machine mining on his website yields some old models, notably his Fuji-Beech T-34A Mentor which inspired my PAF recolors. Compared to TSMC's Fuji T-3 (a T-34A derivative) it's simple and angular, but had easy to recolor markings.

A few comments:
1) I've added the missing rearmost bottom fuselage, I suspect it got left off to make the tail assembly easier and the lighten the tail section. The pink octagon is a bottom finger hole when flown as a glider.

2) The high visibility scheme has 2 different fins for the same aircraft and an orange spinner, while the USAF SE Asia camouflage scheme has fins for 2 different aircraft and gray or metallic shaded spinners. Both have added tires for thickening the wheels. If the wheel struts are cut out then stiffened with superglue, they should be strong enough to hold up the model.

3) Photos of the built up model show flat wings, so I added flaps to the leading edges to fold between the wings to thicken them. The lined lower flap should be folded like a Z, then the upper flap wraps around the lower wing like an airfoil. Those flaps can be cut off for simpler construction.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 PM

British Pathe/Reuters news footage after Hurricane Patsy hit Manila in 1970 showed damage to the PATS hangar and aircraft. Markings are legible only for the Stinson L-5 (PI-C247) but there are at least 3 other Pipers in the photo. This recolored Cub's registry number is my best guess given the practice of consecutive numbering and a barely visible last digit of 3 or 8. The white overpaint effect around the cockpit area is intentional.

The second aircraft is a newer (2018?) Piper J-3 from DPR-PATS, a different aviation school. The PATS Stinson L-5 will follow in a later upload.

This is my first TSMC recolor, and am quite pleased with the results. Here's my email from website owner Mic-chan:

Re: TSMC Piper J3
Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:22 PM
To:

Hello Lorenzo

Thank you for visiting our website.
I send paper models to you.
I accept that you change the color of that model and share it with your friends.
Please enjoy them.

Thank you,
Mic-chan
TSMC TSMC‚̃z[ƒ€ƒy[ƒW
Old 05-16-2019, 03:07 AM

Just uploaded my Stinson L-5 Sentinel recolors, thanks to Leif Ohlsson for the black and white file of the free Kampflieger Sentinel.

The first aircraft is the PATS Stinson L-5 that goes with the previous Piper L-4. The second aircraft is my best guess of the PAF L-5 in which the future president/then defense secretary Ramon Magsaysay dropped smoke bombs on rebel positions from the back seat. Photos later appeared in Life Magazine during the early 1950s.

While researching details for this recolor I also came across photos allegedly taken just before his fatal 1957 crash, with an unidentified DC-3 in the background. The only credible one is his Cebu arrival which shows part of a PAF DC-3 in all aluminum, which suggests 'Mount Pinatubo' was not in the standard white top fuselage and fin PAF scheme. Luckily, both versions are in my C-47 file.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:28 PM

Up next is the last of my British Pathe recolors, the PAL Bedford S type tractor. The fuel tank goes left behind the cab, the reserve tire goes right and the trailer hitch (borrowed from the Leyland Marathon of minimodel.sk) goes atop the rear chassis ahead of the rear axle. It's not clear if there are fenders over the rear wheels, but those parts are included. Find it in my Bedford box truck folder in Downloads, although it isn't really a box truck.

It pulled a split-level bus trailer for Manila airport transfers in the 1970s, which I haven't found yet. I might recolor the Minimodel.cz Skoda NO-80 civilian trailer or the Orlican N10S military trailer.

Last edited by lfuente; 05-17-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 AM

While waiting for Aaron Murphy's permission to share my recolor of his model here, I spent some time recoloring an earlier model from Gary Pilsworth and added it to my existing PAL Beech 18S folder in Downloads.

Strictly speaking it shouldn't be in civilian props, but I didn't want to create a new folder. It's a recolor of 1 of 2 Beech B18S (s/n 432) that served in the Philippine Army Air Corps just before WW2. Not a lot of documentation available, but markings were fairly simple for an NMF aircraft.

This aircraft was evacuated to Australia by Pappy Gunn after Pearl Harbor, but was destroyed when Darwin was bombed soon after.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 AM

It always bothered me that I couldn't provide more color options for models that resisted my best decoloring efforts. But after liberal use of the convert to grayscale function of my very basic graphics software, here are some new recolors:

1) Red wheels with gray body (saw this scheme somewhere) recolor for the Ford F150 Flareside pickup, so it doesn't immediately scream 'GTA Chinatown Wars papercraft'. Not that the original green version wasn't popular, 100+ downloads and counting.

2) Overall medium gray and very dark gray (nearly black) recolors for the Ford Taunus FK1000 van.

Find these in their respective folders in our Downloads section - that makes 280 distinct recolors so far, but a long way from Bruno's 3000!

Last edited by lfuente; 05-23-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:09 AM

Another one of my random projects - while browsing Rob Schatborn's website I found yet another unpaired trailer for A. Campbell Haulage of Scotland. It so happens that he also had generic tractor units on www.norbtach.nl, including Scania and DAF trucks seen in Campbell photos.

I was almost done with my recolor of a red DAF XF95 when I remembered that the DAF corporate website had a number of papercraft trucks, and one was the more correct version with the cab spoiler. Even better it was designed by Gregor Rutka whose work I really like, but that doesn't diminish the usefulness of Mr. Schatborn's models. Thanks to both of them I have this model to offer, in 1:72 and 1:87 (since I couldn't figure out how to get 1:87 with my usual multiple page printouts). It's interesting to see the difference between this and my older DAF 2800 Eddie Stobart recolor.

A couple of notes:
1) there's a choice of 2 license plates (not quite a different recolor)
2) as designed the spoiler's unprinted white side can be seen from the back. I've added fold-over flaps to help hide this, the gray edged red flaps can be trimmed off if preferred.

As usual, this will be available pending moderator approval.

Last edited by lfuente; 05-24-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Have you emailed either DAF or Gregor in order to share the recolor?

I have seen your statement in the file about permission to share is unavailable

I need for you to either gain permission to share, or not upload the files in the future if you can not gain permission to share, until you get permission, all your recolors should be regarded as private use, you can show pictures, but not share on the forum.

So, until you get permission from either Daf or Gregor, the file will sit in the moderation queue.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-27-2019, 08:18 PM

Still waiting on permissions from Mr. Murphy and Mr. Rutka, but in the meantime here're are some recolors of previous kitbashes/recolors.

These are recolors of the Fiat 600 Multipla into Italian taxi markings with the corrected front grille, the white and yellow one is a vintage tourist taxi from Turin and the black and blue-green one is a period taxi from Rome. Reference photos of the real cars were from FaceBook and IMCDB (Roger Moore's 'The Saint' TV show) albums.

Find these in my Fiat 600 Multipla folder in Downloads.

Last edited by lfuente; 05-27-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Google Adsense