PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Continuing with the Asian Spirit airliner theme I announced on Bruno Vanhecke's long-running thread, here are more recolors of Tozawa Hiroshi's uncolored YS-11.

It's not purely Hiroshi's design as I blended in the better-shaped nose and cockpit of the TSMC YS-11 from Mic-chan then added a few more panel lines to very plain wings and tail, but it's not been test built so builder beware. The simple optional landing gear included was based on Mic-chan's model, but I only have a vague idea how they would attach to Hiroshi's (gearless) model.

I didn't realize their 7+ aircraft came in many distinct schemes shown by online photos, but the YS-11 from Aboitiz Air Cargo is a bonus as it had very plain markings. Find these in my Asian Spirit airliners folder in our Downloads. Keep watching this space!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:11 AM

Just heard back from Aaron Murphy, he's graciously granted permission to upload my recolors of his free Cessna 337 Skymaster (designed in honor of Chip Fyn) into 3 versions from the Philippines, Canada and Iceland.

As usual, this will be available pending moderator approval.

Quote from his email:
Murph's Models <>
To: L de la Fuente <>
Go ahead and offer it up at Papermodelers.com. I think it'll serve Chip's memory better there than on my site. Make sure you put a note somewhere that you have my permission to put it there, or the moderators won't let it through.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Today is Philippine Independence Day!

To celebrate I would like to suggest a scavenger hunt among my various recolors. The count exceeded 300 recolors after the last upload: there are new ones I haven't announced, many I have refreshed and corrected, and some older ones that deserve another look.

I haven't created any new folders, so these are all related to existing recolors. Since I update the descriptions every time I add or correct recolors, start there. Enjoy!

In the meantime, my cunning plan for a couple of projects seem to be working.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 PM

Now that I've gotten the go-ahead from DGA's Jim Gausman, I can reveal one of my current projects is a DHC-2 Beaver to Stinson SR-3 kitbash. Can't seem to find good 3-views of the SR-3 online other than the less than 100% accurate balsa model plans, and had to use plastic model illustrations for the 27ft long SR-8/9. Planning to use the Santa TDV main cabin, cowl and engine, spinner and 2-blade prop, landing struts and fairings as traced outlines only (no interior details). Again, the brotherhood (sisterhood) of paper modelers is something to appreciate!

The replacement big parts are done, in INAEC (2nd oldest Philippine airline) green with white trim - when complete I will definitely need a test builder especially for the windscreen greenhouse I copied from a balsa model plan. Already have an idea for the second color scheme, stay tuned.

Last edited by lfuente; 06-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM

I've just come up for air after jumping off the deep end, even a major kitbash can get tough. Kudos to all designers, amateur or professional!

Anyway, I finally have the first draft of the Stinson SR-3 (straight-wing) Reliant derived from the DGA DHC-2. I'm now inviting test builders to PM me their email addresses so I can email the alpha model, hopefully there's at least 1 volunteer.

Of most concern is the fit between the greenhouse windscreen, fuselage and cowl, I'm sure there's lots of adjustment needed. There's likely alignment issues as well, and I haven't chosen a method to support the wing-fuselage attachment. Small rolled parts like the prop shaft and exhaust pipes aren't included just yet, I figure those are easy enough to make. I took the coward's way out and opted for multi-layer sandwich wheels and wheel pants.

On the plus side this is going to be a very rare and unusual subject, a 1930s Philippine SR-3 flown by INAEC in green with white trim. Monochrome photos are rare and color nonexistent, so markings are based on factory standard schemes and personal accounts.

I'm looking forward to seeing this built, then uploading the final release!

Last edited by lfuente; 06-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Tim Crowe's test build of my Stinson SR-3 seems to be progressing OK, we've gone through a couple of edit cycles.

In the meantime, I'd previously figured out how to completely decolor Mr. Paulini's Reliant Regal and did a new series of recolors. I improved the first 2 and added 4 more, so the new file replaces the old one.

Corgi collectors will recognize the new recolors. Cushty!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM

While waiting to hear back from test builder Tim I decided to do something completely different - gift boxes for my 1/72 paper model cars, inspired by the classic Corgi Toys and Husky boxes. 2POMs (yet another dog breed) is my fictitious toy company but my spokesdogs Louie and Orville exist in real life, and live in Virginia with my sister's family.

I'd like the moderators to consider this a fair use homage to the classic diecast model boxes. No infringement is intended and the design is intended to evoke the classic blue and yellow Corgi boxes (even then the proportions are for a classic Matchbox Type E box), and the vehicle side profiles are generic ones off the internet. I don't think anyone will mistake these for the reproduction boxes collectors pay for.

The side profiles are 1/72 scale, and it's surprising how much bigger the boxes are - the only ones that come close to filling the space are the AMC Ambassador and the VW T2 van. Maybe I can do a series 2 with trucks!

For a change these may be found in the Toys and Automata folder in Downloads, and should be available pending moderator approval.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Tim Crowe's beta build of the Stinson SR-5 Reliant is done, and I've announced the upload of my 3 recolors on his build thread!

One of my planned SR-5 recolors was a Civil Air Patrol/Coastal Patrol version, so I decided to create a new folder for CAP recolors which is now awaiting moderator approval.

The first file contains post-WW2 CAP markings for my Piper J-3 and Stinson L-5, plus an Cessna L-19 recolored from Cliff's O-1F at papertigerarmaments.com.

The second file is of course my SR-5 in WW2 CAP markings - my CAP Piper J-3 in the PATS trainers folder is from the same era. And since the cat is well and truly out of the bag, expect a CAP WACo EQC-6 after all bugs are ironed out.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 AM

In preparation for the WACo EQC-6 release I've uploaded the 1:72 version of my Bellanca CH-400 Skyrocket in the same folder. This only includes PATCO NPC-24 as I can't confirm whether NPC-9 also had the deep belly fuselage.

So modelers interested in golden age aviation will now have the Bellanca CH-400, Stinson SR-5, WACo EQC-6 and Beech 18S in Philippine air transport company markings.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 AM

The upload of the WACo EQC-6 recolors have been announced on Pericles' build thread, and now waiting for moderator approval.

The models are the EQC-6, J2W-1, UC-72H and YQC-6. As with the Stinson SR-5, the first poster of a build photo other than PATCO NPC-1 gets to choose a WACo recolor!
Google Adsense