PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 09-03-2018, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Kacper—A newbie question: when you talk about recoloring what do you mean by "cheat lines"? I’m not familiar with that term.
Jon
Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9B View Post
Kacper—A newbie question: when you talk about recoloring what do you mean by "cheat lines"? I’m not familiar with that term.
Jon

From wikipedia:

Among the earliest recognisable elements of aircraft liveries was the cheatline. The etymology of the term stems from "cheating the eye" because the first cheatlines aimed to streamline aircraft visually by reducing the staccato impact of their cabin windows. US carriers like the predecessors of United Air Lines and TWA (then Transcontinental and Western Airlines) adopted cheatlines as early as the 1920s.
A cheatline is a decorative horizontal stripe applied to the sides of an aircraft fuselage. Cheatlines may be in single ("rules") or multiple ("tramlines") bands, and in one or more colours. Cheatlines migrated from the window line to below or occasionally above it. They also melded other decorative elements like stylised lightning rods, feathers, moustaches, national flags and colours, and elements of the airline's title and emblem.
The popularity of cheatlines declined from the 1970s onwards and today they are comparatively rare, except in aircraft liveries which intentionally seek to induce a retro style, perhaps suggesting long tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_livery#Cheatline
Old 09-03-2018, 02:09 PM

I had no idea. How interesting.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Local also

I always thought of the 377 as an overseas machine until I found out Pan Am also used them on the Seattle-Alaska-Yukon route as indicated in table 24-25 attached. Will have to research what the scheme of the day (July 1956) looked like for a Murph's repaint. Does anyone have that info at hand?

Regards,
John
Attached Thumbnails
PAN AM Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-panam-alaska-yukon.jpg   PAN AM Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-paa-ketchikan.jpg  
Old 09-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjohn View Post
Does anyone have that info at hand?
Regards,
John
The poor scan of a magazine article has some date/livery information in my post above. I believe the attached picture would be representative of that period of time (right before the meatball). I could get you that in color if it would help. If you repaint in one of the "real" Pan Am Strat liveries, I'm in.
Jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Strat Scan.pdf (1.01 MB, 22 views)
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Thanks

Thanks Jon. Added to my research file. I have also contacted the Pan Am archives in Miami to see if they can help and will be talking to the local aviation historian who had done a Pan Am display for our local Transportation Museum. I have found out that the "Clipper Seven Seas" was renamed the "Clipper Midnight Sun" which was later destroyed (with no fatalities) in a missed landing in Juneau.

Regards,
John

Last edited by yukonjohn; 09-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.