PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Knife,

Hey, I like that. That's some great work on the recolor. I look forward to some photos of the build.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The rust/weathering looks really good Kevin. The work you did on the white part could be a photograph - it looks that realistic.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Unfortunately my printer isn't up to showing good detail at 1/250 scale. I guess I could blow it up to 1/72 scale, but who would want a 1/72 scale ironclad? :D Anyhow, here's the latest shots of the recolored kit. I added a top to the smoke stack so you can't look down the stack, but I need to trim it down some. I punched out holes for the deck light ports and filled them with glue to simulate glass.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Canonicus build report-h78679.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-100_6818.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-100_6819.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-100_6821.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-100_6822.jpg  

Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Looks fantastic-I really love the weathering. I wish I had the skills to do that sort of thing for myself.

Just a couple of notes-there's a great deal of evidence to suggest that the monitors were painted light gray during the war. This hypothesis does make sense, since black or dark gray would make the already cramped interiors quite stifling.

Before I go any further, I will say that the darker color is more aesthetically pleasing so if that's why your doing it I do apologize.

Another point of interest is the turret roof-yours looks really nice, but alas I have to say that this is the one ship where I DO know what the turret roof looked like Again, if this is purely an aesthetic decision, please forgive me...

In any case, it is looking excellent, your doing a very fine job, and I do *like* the improvements.

[email protected]
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM

The light gray paint makes sense. In fact, the weathering would show better on a lighter gray background. I will use a lighter gray for the Onondega repaint/weathering. I was mostly going off the old photographs for the darker color on the Canonicus. Plus my printer seems to add a green tint to anything light in color. Doing a quick internet search shows modelers have interpreted this class of monitors in everything from pure black to pure white.

I haven't been able to find any good photos of the turret roofs (except for the Monitor) so I was borrowing from the USS Lehigh for purely aesthetic reasons :D. I liked the look of the grating so that's what I used. I'm trying to add some depth to the look, but historical accuracy is important too. The Canonicus was in service for almost 50 years, you think that in that time SOMEBODY would have taken a photograph from the top of the turret!
Attached Thumbnails
USS Canonicus build report-canonic.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-canonicus01.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-dscf0665.jpg   USS Canonicus build report-devinpoore.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Painting these ironclads white would make sense. Working in one that was black or even dark gray would have been like working in an oven. No AC in those days my friend and these did not even have portholes for cross ventilation. Talk about a hot box, cruel and unusual punishment indeed.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

At least one was painted white, as shown below. But to my old eyes the photo above shows a darker gray USS Canonicus.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Canonicus build report-caman1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Just for kick-I read that a number of monitors built ice boxed on their after deck to receive their periodic ice rations from other ships coming from up north, or from one of DuPonts ice machine equipped hospital ships. They ran copper pipes from this box to the officers wardroom so the officers would have chilled water as well as heated water!! No AC but ice water while in season is almost as good!

Anyhow, your recolors look great! And the builds look great as always.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
At least one was painted white, as shown below. But to my old eyes the photo above shows a darker gray USS Canonicus.
I believe both of these photos were taken post war, when the remaining monitors had indeed been painted a darker gray. One shows Canonicus at Hampton Roads in 1907. The other shows the Manco Capac, formerly the Oneota, in service with Peru in the 1870s. The third, of the white monitor, depicts USS Camanche, and although she appears white, I'd guess she is in fact in gray at that point. Note the generally washed out appearance of the photo, including the sea which also appears "white."

Of course, don't mind me, do whatever you like. It's a fantastic looking model.

Incidentally, Devin's Weehawken was a major reference for my own Passaic kit. It's a fine model, and he's a great guy. He also provided plans for the Canonicus. I'm thinking I'm going to update my kit to reflect the perforated metal plate on his build, that makes more sense to me than the wood beams.

[email protected]
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Are those metal plate possible removable on the real ship? Maybe the beams are under and the plates are removable for ventilation when not in action. Just speculation.