PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th

Ahoy just got back topsides from the boson locker I have another one for you fine fellas, This built in the same way as my Victory. This is the Extreme clipper donald Mckays 3rd clipper The Soverign Of The Sea this model was built from Bluejacket plans in scale of 1/16th 17 inch,s long rather small then my usual builds. I built this When I was in High School 11th grade, One night I was watching John Wayne in the late show movie, Wake of the Re Whitch 1949 production a salty movie which at the time to influence me into joining the navy. I use to subscibe to Boys Life magizine I saw an add in the magizine Boucher models division of Bluejacket, it reviewed model plans and kits, I sent away for the plans they were only $1,00 back then , when i got the plans I was discouraged because I was hiopeing it would be a 3ft, model or bigger. but minitureization is the key to building scale models so I went ahead on the build. The hull stations were made from wood cut out with a kopeing saw filed to shape along with the keel the planking was done with cardstock decks were made from 1/64 lite sig plywood inked in to simulate deck planking. mast yards and bowspirit were made from dowling. The blocks and dead eyes were purchased from bouchers playthings AKA Bluejacket and the rest of the fittings were made by me as challenge, When finished I had a display case and stand made for it, It now in on the wall in our hallway along with 20 more such examples. I mean to tell ya my house is a museum, here are the attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0016.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0017.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0018.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0019.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0020.jpg  

Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0021.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0022.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0023.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0024.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-pict0025.jpg  

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
It seems your skills reach back to when you were
a youngster. It's as if you were born with these
modeling skills....Ron
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Beautiful. I have an old Midwest kit with a balsa hull that's still waiting to be built.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Excellent Craftsmanship

My dear Grandad Boats. She looks splendid - the rigging is a work of art and very time consuming, but for you this i NO problem. Excellent work throughout. You should open your doors and charge an entrance fee for the good folk to come on in and look at all your magnificent creations. You are THE man Skipper
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
I really could spend hours looking at these....pretty good for a young fella too, huh! There isn't a better way than building one to understand the rigging, and your knowledge base must be expansive by now..thanks again for giving us a peek of what you have made
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
A superb display of your early talent, I couldn't duplicate your skills with 40 years of practice.

Is that the USS Oregon in the background? I wouldn't mind if you took a few photos of her and posted them for us to see. Here's the model of the USS Oregon from the museum I visited yesterday. To me the model is too wide and wooden looking, yours looks much better (even if only seen in the background of your other photos).

I also including some ships in bottles photos that I thought were well built and imaginative.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-100_6769.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-100_6764.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-100_6765.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-100_6766.jpg   Clipper Soverign Of The Seas scale 1/16th-100_6767.jpg  

Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
A superb display of your early talent, I couldn't duplicate your skills with 40 years of practice.

Is that the USS Oregon in the background? I wouldn't mind if you took a few photos of her and posted them for us to see. Here's the model of the USS Oregon from the museum I visited yesterday. To me the model is too wide and wooden looking, yours looks much better (even if only seen in the background of your other photos).

I also including some ships in bottles photos that I thought were well built and imaginative.

Knife

Thank you for the pictures looks like the wrong paint schedule on the old Oregon, durring the Spanish American war they were all gray, Pre- sspanish amerocan War like mine is all Buff White hull Teak decks, After hostilities they were generally as known as the Great White Fleet all white color with Buff funnels. The pictures look great I will have to post mine in a couple days you got me started now. thanks for your wonderffull replie on my clipper nad Hms Victory I am delighted.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I knew something was wrong with the model, you're right that the paint scheme is all mixed up. Like I said, your models are BETTER than ones in museums.

The student bows to the Master.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
I knew something was wrong with the model, you're right that the paint scheme is all mixed up. Like I said, your models are BETTER than ones in museums.

The student bows to the Master.

Knife
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllllllllllllll Thanks a lot Knife I might post my rosevelts bulldog of the first steel navy. I will surprise you and everyone I might just do that along with the Olympia. I might get a Spanish American War fleet started.