PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
U-Boat Type VIIc by Kooklik/Thai Paperworks

Against my better judgement I am starting this build thread. The first couple posts will be from the thread in the design section that are actually more appropriate here. Progress may be slow due to other projects and commitments but I'll try to do something ata least once a week.

Last edited by member_3; 02-16-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2008, 06:09 AM

From my post in the Designers Corner forum:

I received mine a few minutes ago. This model is nothing less than magnificent! The instructions set a new standard for the paper model world. Kooklik has even included parts for the conning tower railing assembly jig! I may never actually build this but I'll "read" it like a good book for years to come. Congratulations and thank you, Kooklik, for what may be the finest paper model package ever published.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 AM

OK, OK - I just had to print it out (remember to use the corrected pages P and Q Kooklik e-mailed you) and touch it a little. I printed the weathered version which is done with a very light touch - it looks like a ship that has been at sea a few months but doesn't yet need to be drydocked for a hull scraping and repainting. I know it has been mentioned before but this package comes with three versions - "white paper" for your personal recoloring, unweathered for that "brand new" look and, of course, the weathered version. The value received in this package is worth every penny of the price (indeed, I was prepared to pay twice that). Back to work now on non-submarine matters (Super Corsair, SSW D.III and a couple other double-secret projects I don't want Carl to find out about).
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 AM

Well, I obviously don't have pictures of something I'm too busy to build but a very close acquaintance also has this model and dropped by this evening to show me what he had done so far.

All the frame parts for the bow section are on Page A and are identified A-1 through A-9. All the joining strips are on the first sheet of strips and are also identified with an A number, e.g. A-3a for the strip on bulkhead A-3. All the skins and other parts for this section are on Page M and are numbered M-1 through M-14. All parts requiring lamination are on their own pages, as are the joining strips. I am more and more impressed with this model, especially since my acquaintance was able to get quite a bit done in just a few hours. He assures me the fit is excellent. I can hardly wait to start on mine later this year <<wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more>> When I do, I'll start a normal build thread if appropriate.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 AM

Ok - we are up to date. My "acquaintance" will be bringing me progress reports and new pictures from time to time. As for me, I'm back to work on a Super Corsair alpha build (and nothing else).
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2008, 02:54 PM

My friend asked me to post the following:

Bow section all skinned

A minor coloring error in the anchor housing (should be light grey in the indicated area) - Kooklik has been informed and is fixing it.

The first bow plane installed. These bow planes could be made movable but I (I mean my friend) decided to glue them in place.

The other bow plane has been installed and the bow section is complete.

An interesting bit of trivia is that this is the way we build nuclear submarines today - as modules (or "rings" as they are called) with all the piping, major machinery and cable runs installed and then the rings are joined together and, presto!, you have a submarine. This method of production has even been extended to much larger ships - Northrop-Grumman Newport News (formerly Newport News Shipbuilding) builds aircraft carriers the same way.

Last edited by member_3; 02-16-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Your progress, I mean your friend's progress is impressive. The texture is very realistic and seems to be aligning without problem. Can't wait until my CD arrives.

~ Douglas
Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This weathered version looks like it's going to be a real show-stopper! Does it seem like a model that would be doable for a medium level builder like myelf? I love the kit, but quite frankly, I'm intimidated by it!
Chris
Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 PM

Chris - I am certainly no more than a medium level builder myself and I consider it within my capabilities. If I mess a fiddly bit up I'll just print it again until I get it right! Looking ahead in the instructions the most challenging items seem to be the guns and the railings. Kooklik has provided jigs for the railings and clear diagrams for them and the guns so I expect I'll be able to get through it OK. I honestly believe that this one is worth having even if you never do anything but look at it. Take the leap!!!

Added with edit - WAIT A MINUTE!!! the guy that just completed that incredible MM Lysander is worried about assembling a perfectly colored, perfectly designed itsy-bitsy submarine!?!?!?!?! Give me a break! There aren't any windows and the "wings" are little-bitty things that are nearly invisible. PayPal Kooklik NOW!

Last edited by member_3; 02-17-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Discovered the questioner to be above medium skill level.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
Chris - I am certainly no more than a medium level builder myself and I consider it within my capabilities. If I mess a fiddly bit up I'll just print it again until I get it right! Looking ahead in the instructions the most challenging items seem to be the guns and the railings. Kooklik has provided jigs for the railings and clear diagrams for them and the guns so I expect I'll be able to get through it OK. I honestly believe that this one is worth having even if you never do anything but look at it. Take the leap!!!

Added with edit - WAIT A MINUTE!!! the guy that just completed that incredible MM Lysander is worried about assembling a perfectly colored, perfectly designed itsy-bitsy submarine!?!?!?!?! Give me a break! There aren't any windows and the "wings" are little-bitty things that are nearly invisible. PayPal Kooklik NOW!

Hey!
Your building it!
I thought it was your friend.
Imagine my dismay . . .
or not.
Google Adsense