PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsW View Post
The derricks for the hatches No. 4+5 are complete and rigged. For those of you missing the crane hooks at the end of the pulling ropes: The hooks could be taken off the rope to store them in a safe place and shield them from weather and wind during a sea voyage. As the hatches 4+5 are already closed and the last cargo is being loaded into the hatches 2+3, i decided, that the hooks for the derricks here had already been taken off and stored away. The end of the rope then got "tied" somewhere.
You know, it's been so long since I worked on ships, let alone a breakbulk ship, I'm not sure, but I believe the ends of the cargo falls, the working part of the rigging to which the cargo hooks are normally attached, have rigid eye splices and use shackles to attach things to it, such as the cargo hook (either singly or in tandem for heavier loads). When done, the booms normally rest on a pedestal and the cargo falls are either left attached to the hook (and hooked to a fitting on the deck near the pedestal) or the shackle is attached to the deck fitting to secure the fall for sea. I would love anyone else more familiar with this aspect of deck seamanship to comment and correct me, as I am at a loss to clearly recall exactly how we did it, but I think my recollection, cloudy though it may be, is somewhat correct.

Absolutely a treat to see these latest photos! Outstanding work!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@Jim: Thanks for your input considering the derricks and rigging.
As i finished the back section with the loading gear, i discovered, that some shackles are included in the photo etch set. They can be glued on deck and then you can chain the cargo falls to them.

I used those shackles with the rigging of the first derricks on the forward main deck. Both derricks are lifted upward, as they have to make way for the (later added) harbour crane loading the hatch No. 3. To secure the derricks, i added 2 falls to each one ("Geien" in german, i don't know the translation). That way, the derrick is held in position. You can see this in the following pics.

The middle mast also consists of many additional details like the stern mast but has to be placed straight up in the main deck (unlike the stern mast that angles very slightly to the stern).
Attached Thumbnails
-santa-ines-118.jpg   -santa-ines-119.jpg   -santa-ines-120.jpg   -santa-ines-121.jpg   -santa-ines-122.jpg  

-santa-ines-123.jpg   -santa-ines-124.jpg   -santa-ines-125.jpg   -santa-ines-126.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Eternal Member

Always a treat to watch

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsW View Post
@Jim: Thanks for your input considering the derricks and rigging.
As i finished the back section with the loading gear, i discovered, that some shackles are included in the photo etch set. They can be glued on deck and then you can chain the cargo falls to them.

I used those shackles with the rigging of the first derricks on the forward main deck. Both derricks are lifted upward, as they have to make way for the (later added) harbour crane loading the hatch No. 3. To secure the derricks, i added 2 falls to each one ("Geien" in german, i don't know the translation). That way, the derrick is held in position. You can see this in the following pics.

The middle mast also consists of many additional details like the stern mast but has to be placed straight up in the main deck (unlike the stern mast that angles very slightly to the stern).
Greetings, Lars!

As always, a treat to behold!

Not quite sure what you are referring to as "geien"; from what I can tell i may be referring to stays, which on cargo booms are either lifts and vangs (in addition to the cargo falls). The lifts act to pull the head of the boom up, and in direct opposite to the tension caused by the falls, whereas the vangs act to control the boom transversely (most likely the vangs are what you are referring to by the term "geien").

In any event, such a beautifully executed build! Just be sure to batten down the hatchs on holds 2 and 3 before you leave port or you might be in a world of trouble.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Lars,
Great looking superstructure......... So much fine detail. It just dosn't get any better.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Hey folks,

for several weeks now, there's been no news here but as i got so many kind words and help from you folks, i feel obliged to explain the lack of updates here.

I didn't give up on the "Santa Inés", surely not.
But a well known publisher here in germany asked me if i'd be interested in "control-building" one of it's upcoming ship models. I couldn't resist that
So this ship has absolute priority right now.
It's a container ship of the "modern age", a so called feeder called "OPDR Lisboa". If you google a bit, you'll find some pics of her, i'm sure.

So to speak with a quote from one of my favorite (ooold) TV shows: "Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten". Stay tuned, the "Santa Inés" will be finished... in time.

See you soon, my friends.

Lars
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thanks for the news Lars.
I hope you will be able to share some images of your "Container Ship" someday.
Mike