PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Hi Radek,
...so the are two sailing examples of this ship type.
Tappi
There are even more, when I find them I will post the names..

@ strk
Thx for the names of the knot! Very appreciated!

In order to finish the standing rigging the shrouds needed to be attached to this triangular 'deadeyes' (please correct me about the name of this part!!). The first picture shows the shrouds and the second the forestays. After careful consideration (when the model was ready...) accompanied by some beers I came to the conclusion that the shrounds should be attached to the ledge (please correct my terminology) like the forestay in the second picture b) (the lower one). I changed the MM plans in that part of the ship anyway inspired by the stamp like seen on the third picture. :p

Those triangular deadeyes were made out of a 1mm wire. On that point of building I was not thinking about making them out of carton :o which would had a definitely better effect than those opened metal ones :o:o:o. Let's say the smith was just in the town of Elbląsk (Elbing) and suggested to make this parts out of an special Iron-whatever-alloy in order to strengthen this part since this cog was supposed to sail to the holy land but he forgot to weld them together :D....

Now, after my Elbingians lifted the yard and all the standing rigging was done, they started to pound about the braces...
Attached Thumbnails
Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_2.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_2a.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_8.jpg  

Last edited by RdK; 11-07-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 AM

By the way....The scale of this model is 1:100 in cm.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM

braces and sail sheets

Hi again!

The braces for moving the yard needed to be attached somehow to it. Since I considered this my experimental model for getting back in business and the smith was in town anyway , I made this little eyes out of a wire 0.4mm in diameter and painted it black with a marker (like the triangular deadeyes). Then I wound some copper colored stripe of metal with two holes around the yard endings and stuck the little eyes through the holes into the yard. The metal stripe is like all the copper stripes in my model cut out of a beer can :D.

On the first picture you can see my solution about the knot I used for this little eyes (again, I do not know the name of this knot :o).

Now the line going through the block needs to be somehow attached to the belaying pin. The second picture shows how my 'sophisticated' Elbingians solved the problem . I mounted the line on one end to a ring (made out of the same 0.4mm wire and painted black) and let the other end run to the pin.

The other line mounted the same way is the sail sheet running towards the bottom corner of the sail through a block attached to the sail as shown in the third picture. Hope it is more or less clear how I did it... The green line in the 3rd picture is supposed to be the sail clew garnet (is this the correct term?) attached to the 'eye' in the corner of the sail using a toggle. It is used to collect the sail. I let this one run to the same belaying pin like the halyard. The plans from MM let this one run to the beting? on deck next to the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_7.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_6.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_4.jpg  

Last edited by RdK; 11-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 AM

Sail and bow lines

Hi @ all!

The last part of the rigging were the bow lines. After the sail was made, sewed by hand (I have no sewing machine but luckily my eyes still works fine so making straight lines is still easy), colored with "Lord Nelsons black tea" and shaped, it was attached to the yard as shown in picture one.

The bow lines at the edge of the sail were attached by using a toggle. The lines running to the deck were mounted on the bitts as seen in a previous picture. The blocks holding them are attached to the end of the bowsprit. Some suggest to attach it at 3/4 length of it, I decided to do it at the end. Again I used some copper colored metal stripe with a hole and a little "eye" made out of the 0.4mm wire.

The second pic shows some details of the sail. It was actually my first sewed sail so it is not of the best quality.

The third picture shows the sail before coloring and shaping after the method with sandbags described here. And the last pic shows the result afterward.
Attached Thumbnails
Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_9.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-rigging_9a.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-sail_1.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-sail_2.jpg  
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Rdk:
These are very good images of the rigging details and the sail. It sheds much light on the techniques of the old sailing ship builders like yourself. Very nice work.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Hi Mike!

Thanks! I found it difficult to find information about the rigging of this model so I hope this thread can help others who decide to do the same model..

Regards,
Radek
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Exclamation Other problems

Hi @ all again!

Two other problems occurred with this particular model from MM. I had always problems with parts that did not fit when I built models from MM. In this one, though, the planner must have been drunken! The first picture shows why.

The second picture shows a problem which may have resulted from my scans or from the choice of material - balsa wood which made some parts a bit thicker than they would have been if made out of card. But in general this kind of problems happens quite frequently to me.

Working with balsa wood on a ship is as far as I know the most unprofessional way but it worked out surprisingly well and I gained a lot of experience in what works and what does not with balsa.

I hope the information presented in this thread will help you who decide to do the cog. If you have any questions about it please feel free to ask. I had a pleasant time building it and I really recommend this model despite those little difficulties.

My next project will be the Mayflower from MM 03/2001 made out of paper, card, carton and maybe a little bit of balsa (since I still got some left:p).

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-problem_gap.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-problem_gap_2.jpg   Koga Elbląska from 1350 C.E. - MM 9/2000-koga.jpg  
Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.35 MB
Maly Modelarz

Maybe are people interest on another model ship by Maly Modelarz.I have for disposal MM6/2001 HMS "Bounty".I don't want build ships ,architecture only.Are possibile other ship models on my"cave".
my e-mail sawjac1(at symbol)wp.pl
greetings.
Slawomir

Last edited by B-Manic; 11-22-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: email address changed to prevent spam :)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Talking

Hi @ all!

Here some pics for those who have no account for this page. Enjoy!

Rgds,
Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
She looks finished ......... if so ........Congratulations!!
The images and closups are wonderful. They reveal some great workmanship.
Mike
Google Adsense