PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Marco for the quick response.
I hope the hull fits well then, as there is a very large area to cover.
But i'm sure, you'll manage
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Excellent, I voted for her...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Just a question, if the lower hull is going to be attached allready, wont you encounter problems if you want to rig the model when it is finished building?

Just a thought..
Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Yeah, the disadvantages are the access for the rigging, and wear on the bottom plates while working. I will coat the very bottom with floor varnish to reduce this effect. The advantage is that this method allows for a very smooth hull.
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi!

Me too looking forward to see this one being build! Very promising start! And nice size!

I have myself some FLY MODEL kits in my brother's cellar (ships, planes..). As far as I know in Poland there are no waterline models. No offend, but they are seen (or were seen) as something "half done" or a "not good model" at all. I can remember how my brother and me were laughing at the waterline ships some 20 years ago. But of course we were children and today I appreciate them as well as full hull models. Especially when they are placed in a diorama like Lars his research Ship "Planet" (sehr schön gelungen, Lars!!) or if they are made as this kind of "hybrid" where one can separate or attach the lower part of the hull.

There should be no problem if you attach the hull first. Generally you can fit the rest of the model to the hull and not the other way around.

I don't know if the model description is only in polish language or not but If you need some help in translating it, I can help you Marco!

Regards,
Radek
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Thank you Radek; the question of "waterline" and/or "full hull" is one you can debate over for years. In my opinion it all depends on how you want to display the model.
Is it shown in a display case, just the ship, nothing else? Then it's a good idea to build and show the "whole ship" in a nice rack.
Do you want to use it in a diorama or with water underneath? Then waterline is the way to go.
I personally don't have the slightest problem with waterline models, as this is all we usually see in reality. You can't compare it with "planes without wings" or something like that (i heard that argument from some other modelers), as you wouldn't see those anywhere

Nevertheless, i'd really LOVE to see a full hull "Titanic" and now i'm going to get it, thanks to Marco.

Lars
Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
I absolutely agree with you, Lars! And like you say: thanks to Marco we all can enjoy the building of the Titanic and the result. Really lookin' forward to!

Regards,
Radek
Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 PM

And as far as I can see this kit has the possibility to give a very nice and detailed result... I'm sure I will have fun with this one!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:46 PM

However, the most important thing is indeed, that Celine Dion will not take part in this thread. No, I don´t want to hear this whimper again.

Marco, plaese go ahead...
Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 AM

Here are the side stiffening plates, that go across the waterline. It gives more strength to the hull, and it will be possible to get a very smooth side covering of the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
RMS Titanic - Fly/Gomix - 1:200 full hull-img_2052.jpg   RMS Titanic - Fly/Gomix - 1:200 full hull-img_2053.jpg   RMS Titanic - Fly/Gomix - 1:200 full hull-img_2054.jpg   RMS Titanic - Fly/Gomix - 1:200 full hull-img_2055.jpg  
Google Adsense