PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Beautiful!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.31 MB
i need affordable plans for bluenose schooner...antone?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Some serious modeling here Radek! The gratings are superb and I like pedestal too. The ship is outstanding and I value highly your consistancy on the build. On a big build like this there's always the danger that when you advance your building style changes and evolves. You keep good control of your techniques and she looks just fine.

Tappi

PS Ron, I got the same idea - chess pieces!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
The Bell & Rails

Hi @ all!

Thanks! I try to keep my new ideas for the next build.
I also had the idea with the chess pieces, unfortunately I do not have any..

During the last days I made some deck details, namely the rail and the bell.

Material
-1mm thick balsa wood
-paper (about 300 gsm)
-1mm thick carton from the frozen pizza box
-self-adhesive foil
-white enamel from Humbrol
-oil paints lamp black, burnt umber & burnt sienna
-black thread
-golden marker
-CA

Method
First I cut 1mm thin stripes from the balsa wood, and for the bell's rail also a 0.5mm thin stripe and painted all with the enamel. After drying (c.a. 2h) I cut them into the right length (see pic. 1) and applied on the deck. I did not assembled the rail first but instead applied piece by piece onto the deck.
The bells roof was made out of the pizza box carton taped with the foil and altered with oil paints (black on the outside and brown on the inside & edges).
The bell itself was made out of paper (bell body), some drops of CA (bell shoulder; unfortunately we had no baking soda, so I could not try out Glen's method) and card (bell tongue) and colored with a golden marker.
The bell crown and the hanging device (sry, no better English word found ) were made out of black thread. Therefore I opened the thread to make it thinner, applied some CA and formed it into the right shape (see pic. 2). On picture two you can see that I also attached a cord to the bell's tongue (whats the name for that cord?), but later rejected that idea. I am not sure where that cord would go, how long it should be and anyway, it should be made out of brownish thread.

Here some pics of the result mounted on the deck. Next are the ladders, one forgotten belaying pin and then I would like to try the rudder.

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf204.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf205.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf208.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf206.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf209.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf207.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
She's really coming along nicely, and now she is all dry s you can handle her without getting your hands dirty! Wonderful! I bet the Pilgrims probably had less to work with than you did! There were probably no two ships that looked alike. Are you considering building a Shallop? It was a 30 boat vessel the Pilgrims brought with them, dismantled, to be used in the New World. The Shallop can be seen in this drawing stowed. From what I have read, some of the men used it for housing and caused considerable damage to it which took months to repair. These drawings are from a Mayflower History Organization, your boat looks like a Mayflower to me!

Google Adsense
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Looks great Radek,
The curviture of the deck is quite evident in the images.
And John has contributed some very interesting material. That last image showing the interior is fascinating. To think people crossed the ocean in these!
Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
The Rudder

Hi @ all!

Thanks John for the pictures! I plan to build a Shallop, I just do not know exactly how, ...yet. In my plans there is a Shallop, but it does not fit 30 men (or maybe it does, but on the scale 1:100 everything looks so small... )!

@ Mike: I agree, the last image is fascinating. I have seen something similar as a model in the Vasa museum in Stockholm. It would be interesting to make such a model about the Mayflower (future project?? )

But for now I am busy with this one.. a forgotten beaying pin, some ladders and the rudder are finally attached to the vessel.

In this post I discuss only the rudder:

Material & Method:
I used the 2mm thick Puzzle-box card and glued it together to achieve a 4mm thick piece. Then I copied the rudder from the plans using a circle (see pic. 1) and cut it out with the scalpel. The broad diagonal surface became quite "furry" or felted. So I applied some of this "ERI keeper" water based glue to smooth the surface a bit (see pic. 2). Then some of the self-adhesive foil cut in shape according to the plans (pic. 3) and black oil paint for alteration (pic. 4).
The visible end piece of the tiller was made out of the same card and painted with oil paints (burnt umber & burnt sienna). Here the foil seemed to be too difficult to apply due to some rounded edges.
The pintle and gudgeon were made out of ~0.3mm wire and 0.3mm paper respectively, painted with a black marker (see pic. 5 & 6). The rivets were imitated with a needle without its sharp end (was a waste form in the needle box, but very useful!).
And some pics of the end result.

So much for now...
I will post tomorrow about the ladders and the belaying pin.

Rgds,
RdK
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf215.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf216.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf217.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf218.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf219.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf220.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf221.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf222.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf223.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf224.jpg  

In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

People were a lot lot smaller back then. I know that may sound ridiculous to some, but even flying aircraft from the 1950's you can feel it. I think a Shallop back then might hold a lot less modern Humans, and far fewer fat Americans, after all, they didn't have the Turkey potatoes, and stuffing, yet!!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 PM

What an ingenious way of mounting the rudder and it looks good too Is there a source of plans free for the asking out there somewhere? Zathros, you're right about folks being a lot smaller back then. As a kid I went through a ton of old castles etc in western Europe. Mont St. Michel is the one that really stayed with me. I couldn't believe the size of the cages in the dungeons as they were very small. The doors were made for people in the 5-5' 5" range. Over the centuries the place was continuously being built up and the doors grew in dimension right along with it!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 370.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
She's beautiful. A descendant of the Mayflower would pay a pretty penny for that ship, as would anyone!
I am a descendant of Willaim Bradford who was the captian of the Mayflower, I would love to build this model.
Google Adsense