PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Wow! You have your own ropewalk! Impressive results too, looks great. Maybe you will inspire me to pick up my last ship..... I stopped at the chainplates but had already made most of the deadeyes. You can buy very small blocks I had some very tiny wood blocks I ordered them from a gentleman in Utah, Warner Woods, Ivins UT. 2 mm double blocks!! Tiny tiny.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Beautiful!

I have a question. How do you twist the threads in your rope-walk since there are only hooks without handles to turn them?

@ Birder:
A very simple way to make paper dead-eyes is shown here:
We maken een hoeker naar Chapman
Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi!

@ abhovi: the thread gives enough friction so I can twist them by hand. I did not want to build any complicated gearing with a handle, just something quick and easy...
So after I attach the threads to the hooks, I rotate first one hook about 100 times, then the other ones in succession. All threads have some tension by now, so I give them a bit slack and do another round of ca. 100 rotations one by one. I repeat this until I have about 300 rotations each, and you can nicely see them on the thread, so if all of them look similar, I know they have more or less the same tension.

Then I move Dr. Oetker towards the three/four hooks and rotate same time the one hook on the other end, where all threads are attached together. This gives the rope a nice and even look and I avoid irregularities. Towards the end I might just twist the ready rope with my fingers a bit and give the single threads still some 20-50 rotations and at times give some slack.

Hope this is somehow understandable??

The results are so far satisfactory at a length of up to half a meter (almost 2 feet?).

Just one problem: the threads and ropes give quite some fluff and I still think how to remove that..?

Anyone any Idea??

Here are also some pictures from the rigging progress... Explanation follows soon

Rgds,

Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf324.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf325.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf326.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf327.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf328.jpg  

In the Garage: PANHARD AML20

Last edited by RdK; 08-27-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding a sentence for clarification.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds very intense. There are simple rope-walks to make, using Maccano or Lego parts. I use one for years.

How to avoid flush? Use a wax candle and draw the rope over it a few times. You end up with a very neat and smooth rope, that you can handle very easily.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:48 AM

Thanks Ab!

I will give it a try.

The ropewalk I made did not cost me anything; empty card box from my work place, clamps I had already and the hooks I've found in my tool box. For the LEGO one I would have needed to buy the parts first. I tried to find a "cheap" solution.

It is not that intense at all! I made the holes for the hooks slightly bigger than the hooks, but still smaller than their thread, so they nicely stay in place and rotate very swiftly... When I come home from work and don't feel like being able to do any other work on the models then I drink a coffee and twist some rope. It is somehow relaxing...

-R
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2018, 06:06 AM

And that's what it is all about. Compliments for you ingenuity.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is a nice ropewalk and a good way to make the line needed to rig a ship.
I use beeswax to knock down the fuzz, drawing the line along the wax like abhovi mentioned for using candle wax. Beeswax is also good for diy moustache wax.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The thing with wax sounds good! I also read about it in a polish modeling journal many years ago. Good idea!

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Yes, beeswax works well to get rid of the fuzz - this is the method also used for centuries when making ship models.

If you cannot buy beeswax, try thinning the purest wax you can find with a tiny amount of paraffin.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 AM

Hi everyone!

@birder: Glen, I hope I can motivate you the same way I am motivated by the works of all the excellent modelers here on papermodelers!

@SCEtoAUX: Dough, I use beard oil for my beard...

@JCK and Kevin MS: Unfortunately I do not have beeswax yet and use some of the tea light candle wax. The results are more or less ok, but I started to wax the threads after I've made some of the shrouds already. So my first mast (fore mast) is a learning experience and looks accordingly.

The rigging is quite time demanding and I want to do it properly so I have to figure out where to attach which of the rigging. Of course the plan is good, but I kind of had to learn to read it first. I will post some pictures in the next post.

The fore mast is almost ready and the bowsprit is done.

Rgds,
Radek
Google Adsense