PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Radek,

Sorry to hear about the battery giving up the ghost, looking forward to seeing more pictures after you juice it back up.

Arriving at the complex and delicate curves on a ships' hull is one of the more interesting parts of the build if not a trying one. Watching everyone struggle with, whittle, sand, fill and in general go through all the motions to arrive at a finished bottom end for their ship is always great fun. Judging from those last pictures it looks like you about have this one whipped into shape.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hull pics...

Hi @ all!

Here some more pics of the progress on the hull.
I used no filler in between the frame parts etc. ...just bended carton.
I don't know how well pictures can show the smoothness of a hull, anyway I am satisfied with the result.
But please, judge for yourself.

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_036.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_042.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_038.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_039.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_040.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_041.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_037.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
Yes, I think viewers will be able to see the smoothness in the hull with these images. It appears to be ready for the final coat(s) of paint. Nice job.
Mike
Old 11-25-2010, 03:04 AM

Lower hull ready

Hi!

Here some pictures of the ready lower hull.

@ Threadhead1952: Yeah...whipped into shape! That's exactly how it looks like..ha, ha... but luckily only from the back side which one can not see...

Thanks Mike! I do not intend to use any paint on that hull. Rather I was thinking about the self adhesive foil similar to Doris' her models. On that point a very big thanks for the inspiration to Doris!

All together it was not so difficult at all (except the one mistake on the frame I made). After sanding I flattened the felted surface (it felt like furr ) with one coat of this suspitious "Eri KEEPER" Universal water based glue. At least it was good for something.

Now I am going to start working on the decks.

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_043.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_044.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_045.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_046.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_047.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_048.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdK View Post
Hi!
Thanks Mike! I do not intend to use any paint on that hull. Rather I was thinking about the self adhesive foil similar to Doris' her models. On that point a very big thanks for the inspiration to Doris!

Regards,
Radek

Hello Radek,
Oh yes. The look of Doris' ships certainly show the effectiveness of that material. On top of the smooth work done so far, it should be quite impressive on your Mayflower. Watching for more.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

The hull is extremely fair. You have captured the oval essence of these types of ships in a wonderful manner. You have the basis of an excellent model here. I look forward and will follow this build. A lot to learn here.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Hello bro,

I see you´re using the green pad / base I sent you. By the way the hull looks smooth! Can´t wait ´till the Mayflower is finished.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:53 AM

Walls for the deck

Hi @ all!

@ Mike: You shall not be disappointed, but there is still some work to do before the planking of the hull (decks, gunports, upper hull, gun carriage...).

Thanks Zathros! I like this forum because there is a lot to learn from everybody around here!

@ Bro: Thanks for the pad, the 'MM Mayflower' finally arrived, too. So now I can use some parts of it as well. I was thinking about the cannons, since in the "Waldermar Nowy" plans there are none.

Here some pics from my progress so far. I made the walls and doors for the deck. The first 8 pictures show how I did it and the two last the results. It is not perfect. But I think the galleons from that time were not perfect neither (compared to the beautiful ships of the 18th century and later on). If there are any questions, please ask!

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_049.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_052.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_053.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_054.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_055.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_056.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_057.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_058.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_059.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_060.jpg  

Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 AM

Red face hinges

One small correction of the description how to make the hinges: I bend them ON the SHARP SIDE of the box cutter! Sry for the confusion...

Regards,
RdK
Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM

deck planking

Hi @ all!

Here some pics of my progress with the decks! I have not glued them on the frame yet because they are far from being ready. I placed them on their spot only for the pics...

The first four pics describes my method. Hope this is clear enough. I used the self adhesive foil color: 'Pear Medium' and altered with brown oil paint (the black one makes it appear very grayish). The other pics are made with and without the flash of my digi-cam.

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_061.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_062.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_063.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_064.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_065.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_066.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_067.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_068.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_069.jpg  
Google Adsense