PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
The brown oil paint made a difference. Now it has a real "wood" appearance.
Nice work.
Mike
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
The decking is looking really nice.

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 12-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Little progress, deck details

Hi @ all!

Thx Mike and Torakaze-222! It is not the very best, but those are my first decks made with the foil.

Not so much time lately... Busy week... Still here some pics of the progress so far, the description on "how I made it" will follow soon. I was able to attach some parts to the frame, made some details for the decks and the larboard gun ports.

The capstan is made with balsa wood and carton.

For the rings I used this thin ~0.4mm wire and colored it black with a waterproofed marker.

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_070.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_071.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_072.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_073.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_074.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_075.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM

capstan

Hi!

Here the description of the capstan build...

Material:
Balsa wood 2x 1.5mm and 1x 2mm glued together to form a 5mm thick layer.
1mm thick carton.

First I took the ready 5mm balsa layer and cut the needed piece out, made an octagonal cylinder with the scalpel and sanded into round shape. then I drilled the holes for the levers with my little electric hand drill. I needed to add a 1mm carton to the axle to get the right length... (pics1 and 2)

Then I cut the levers from 1.5mm thick balsa wood and sanded the edges round. (pic 2)

The sides (does they have a name?) of the axle were made out of 1mm carton. (pic 3)

All had been glued together with CA and painted brown (burnt umber) with oil paint. (pic 4 and 5)
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_079.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_078.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_077.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_076.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_080.jpg  

Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM

decks ready

Hi again!

After I was able to place the gun carriage on the gun deck (pic 1) the main deck and the rest could be finally put into place. Here some pics of the result.

I did not glued the Half deck and the capstan yet. This will be made when I finish the interior of the upper hull beneath that deck.

I found some pictures about the guns on the Mayflower II in the internet and tried to make my ones according to that. But more on that subject later.

Now I can start to think about the upper hull... I also started to work on the stern with the three windows there (last pic) and think on how to make that beautiful mayflower...

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_081.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_082.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_083.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_084.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_085.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_086.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_087.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_088.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_089.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_090.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
The pieces are comming together nicely. Its always impressive to see how tall one of these old ships seems to be when seen from the stern (final image).
Mike
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Your hull forming method is cool! Looking good, Rdk keep it going!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Radek,

very impressive, to build a model "from scratch". I'm still afraid of this (smaller parts, yes, but a whole ship? No way (yet)).
Thanks for the wonderful pics and for sharing your report with us!

Kind regards (Grüssle )

Lars
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
This is a fun build to follow.

Are those plans available for purchase anywhere?

One question about a particular mayflower detail. Most of the deadeyes I've seen so far are circles. But on this detail of the Mayflower II, the deadeyes are ovoid almost teardrop in shape. Are you going to follow this detail?
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-2217004620049675152pcxljq_ph.jpg  

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 AM

Upper hull and the Mayflower

Hi @ all!

A little progress on the upper hull and the Mayflower..

@ Mike: Thats true, I am impressed by this feature of those galeons too. Maybe that's also one of the reasons why I decided to build this model prior to the Papegojan.

@ Glen: Thx, this is a very old idea of mine, the thicker the carton the better this technique works! I still need to find the best tools for it, though.

@ Lars: Thx, but don't be afraid of trying, or you will never know how it is like.. This is my first scratch build of this kind so far. When I built the cog (Kogge) from MM and replaced the material with balsa wood I figured out that making a scratch build is pretty much the same. Just that your most used tool is not the scissor but pencil and ruler.

@ Ledo: In my plans the deadeyes have also the teardrop form. If I am right this was the shape in the old vessels, but I will still do some research on it. Thx for the detail pic!

Material
-1mm thick carton from the frozen pizza box
-2mm thick carton from my wife's PUZZLE box
-lots of CA
-oil paints and white enamel from Humbrol

Mayflower
- First I used the pencil and circle to copy the Mayflower on the 2mm carton and cut out with a very very sharp (hospital- sharp) scalpel. (pic 1) The 2mm carton is very hard thus proper for this work.
- Then I hardened the edges with CA and used my hand drill machine with an engraving attachment to form the depth of the sculpture. Afterward I used the pencil and a not so sharp knife to form the last details and finally hardened the whole sculpture again with CA. (pic 2)
- I removed almost 1mm of carton from the back side. (pic 3)
- I used the enamel paint for the white flower (pigments are much smaller and do not smear around like the white oil paint) and different colors of oil paint for the rest (viridian, sap green, yellow ochre). The result is seen in pic 4 & 5.

Upper hull
-First I made a stencil out of card to fit the upper to the lower hull and after some adjustment I copied it on the 1mm carton.
-Then cutting out and further adjustment to the ship in addition with some measurements of the height of the sides (wales??) and all openings in it.
-At last I made the inner part of the hull which is visible above the decks with self adhesive foil and black oil paint and painted the edges of the upper hull with brown oil paint.
-After about 24h drying it was ready to be attached to the model.
-Finally a little bit sanding and smoothing with this ominous "ERi keeper" glue...

So much for now. I got a little bit sick because of all that snow here (and Helsinki is at sea level!!)...But this gives me time to work on the ship.

Regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_091.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_092.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_093.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_094.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_095.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_102.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_103.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_097.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_096.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_099.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_100.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_101.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_098.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-bikes_in_snow.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-trees_in_snow.jpg  

Google Adsense