PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
You provided many good images of this ship. Nice job. Here is an image of the Mayflower II. This replica was sailed to Plymouth Massachusetts from England in the 1950s (if I am correct), and has been on display there ever since.

Enjoy,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mayflower-ii.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Superb RDK, this kind of build is amazing. I found myself imagining how it would be to have sailed that ship looking at your pictures, which means you have captured her essence!!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Talking Rigging !?!

Hi @ all!

Thx for the kind words, mates! Always an encouragement for the building process. Very appreciated!

The Mayflower II sailed in 1957. There is a video on youtube. How can I post videos from youtube here? can anybody help?

However, not so much progress lately...run out of CA and due to my sickness I can't go and buy new one. And my wife has no time (in secret she's happy that I do not spend so much time on the ship now ).
A little cover with the foil on the stern (I attached the Mayflower only for the picture). The uneven parts beneath the three windows will be covered. And I am not totally satisfied with the windows yet.

And who would think that I have to start with the rigging already at this stage of the build!
Anyway, later there will be no place there to handle around so I needed to make some little rope (I will describe the method how to make rope without ropewalk later) about 0.4mm in diameter and attach it to the side bitt (side cleat?). This rope is the other end of the mainsail sheet.

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_104.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_105.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_106.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_107.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
It's looking great.

Here's a few pictures of the 1957 delivery voyage, courtesy of Life magazine.
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-45ecb74bf1f02789_large.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-9dd7c83f5fb3c6d2_large.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-2ca99998edd84d9d_large.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-19452c1d8e5b163b_large.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-1cb1acb9ee4b80d1_large.jpg  

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
forgot this one of the deck
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-949513975df6f187_large.jpg  

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Hi @ all!

Thx for the pics, Ledo!The 2nd and 4th show how about the sails should look like on my model. I think that by setting them somewhere in the starboard tack between 'Broad Reach' and 'Close Reach' will display nicely her slim line.
That was one of the advanced progress made in shipbuilding that the galleons were slimmer and therefore more maneuverable than the older carracks.

Here a link to a ca. 8min long (short?) film on youtube about the Mayflower II in 1957:
Voyage of the Mayflower II (1957)

Now that I feel a bit better I was able to get to the shop and buy a new tube of fresh CA... The shop will make a fortune just because of me!

Soon some pics of the build and the description about rope making without a ropewalk.

Rgds,
Radek
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Hi @ all!

As promised, here the description on how to make ropes without any ropewalk device.

Rgds,
Radek
Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 AM

Half Deck

Hi @ all!

Finally I was able to finish the interior beneath the half deck and mount the deck itself on the ship. So now the decks are complete and I can focus on the planking of the hull...

The capstan got a 'lift' in form of a 'metal ring' made out of paper. I used the HUMBROL aluminum paint and brushed afterward with black oil paint. And I made some spots which should resemble some heavy metal screws on the capstan..

The other side was 'rigged' as well. This was done with a little bit more rope, due to the planned position of the sails (starboard tack...).

The bottom side of the half deck was decorated with some ship frame parts (pic 5). This parts will be almost not visible, though. But if someone takes a more exact look on that part of the main deck from a certain perspective, he/she might spot this little feature on the roof above the capstan...

The starboard bulwark has been braced with 1x1mm balsa wood, painted with brown oil paint (mix of burnt Umber and burnt Sienna).

So much for now. It is really fun to build a ship out of carton and card again...

Just one more note: Unfortunately I made a mistake resulting in a little gap beneath the starboard side of the wall in front of the half deck (see picture 7 on the left side of the wall). This cannot be fixed at this stage anymore... But maybe I can place a 'deck decoration' like a box or a barrel in front of it...

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_108.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_109.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_111.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_110.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_112.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_113.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_114.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_115.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_116.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
This ship has that authentic weathered look to it. Nice job. That gap you referred to in image 7 is not so bad. Perhaps one more plank might fit down there?
Regards,
Mike
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM

Hi Mike!

I like the weathered look, too. As you say: it makes it more authentic.

The gap is too small for a plank. There will be the ladder a bit next to it which will hopefully cover it to some extend. And I think I will stick to the idea with the barrel. The pilgrims need some wine for their journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Hello Radek,
Oh yes. The look of Doris' ships certainly show the effectiveness of that material. On top of the smooth work done so far, it should be quite impressive on your Mayflower. Watching for more.
Mike
My next post with pics will be then hopefully about the hull planking, Mike.

Rgds,
Radek
Google Adsense