PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Red face Bottom of the half deck

Hi @ all!

@ Mike: Sry to disappoint you, but this post here is still not about the hull planking...

I just somehow managed to make two pictures of the bottom side of the half deck and the ship frame parts there, without causing any damage to the model that has not been caused yet...

Hope you can see something....

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_118.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_117.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Quote:
And I think I will stick to the idea with the barrel. The pilgrims need some wine for their journey...
Yes! Always room for a barrel of wine! LOL

The half deck is looking great. The brown smudge wash really makes the contact paper have the warmth of real woodwork.

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Radek,

i really love those (half-) interior designs! If you can catch a glimpse of those details once the model is finished, it adds much to the overall impression.

And speaking of a barrel of wine: *Prost" but a glass would suffice as well, right next to me

Great work!

Cheers,

Lars
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Hull planking

Hi @ all!

Thx for commenting, Lars and Ledo! Now, it is time for 'Glühwein' in Germany...mmmh, nice spiced hot red wine in those cold days... We had just about -20 degree today. But the Finns have something similar, called Glögi. I wonder if there is some similar traditions in other countries around the globe...

But now, back to business...
The planking of the hull was made with the self adhesive foil/contact paper; color medium nut tree.
There are certain rules one has to stick to in order to get the planking job done correctly in wooden models. However, with the contact paper one can cut out individual planks and use this 'planking rules' as well. This, if done properly, simulates a nice wooden appearance. Some rules can be found at the Model Ship World forum. An interesting description about planking the Constitution can be found here.

Here are my rules for my Mayflower model (see pic 1):
-I chose as plank width 1.5mm (15cm or about 6 inches). Some are tapered at the stem
-The length of the planks does not exceed 6.1cm (6.10m or 20 feet) and is in general about 4.6cm (4.60m or about 15 feet)
- The joints or butts (plank ends) are seperated by 1.2cm (1.2m or about 4 feet)
-The pattern of butts is repeated every 4 planks

First, though, I draw some lines every second plank on the hull to have some orientation points for where to paste the planks at all (pic 2 & 3). I must admit that I was not able to keep exact symmetry, the starboard side is about a plank higher at the main wale between the first and third gunport...

The first 5 planks from the keel on were straight from stern to stem. After that I needed to insert some half stealer planks and some drop planks in order to get even with the markings above the "problem area" shown in picture 3. The result is seen in the pictures 5 & 6.

Following the rules I marked and cut the butts (pic 7 to 9). I am not satisfied with this step. The butts are too wide . Next time I will use a not so sharp knife to scratch them on the foil rather than try to cut out a 0.2mm wide piece... Anyways, this is my first attempt of planking with contact paper so I am still learning..

After attaching the gun wale and taping the side windows I finally used black oil paint to weather the hull. At the beginning the weathering is still shiny (pic 10) but it will get duller as it dries. Now I weathered one side and can't touch the model anywhere to do the other side...

Since we go to visit my wife's parents during the holiday, the Mayflower has time to dry...

Enjoy the holiday everybody!

Rgds,
Radek

PS: I needed to brake my rules on 3 and 4 occasions starboard and larboard, respectively. Maybe you can find out in the pictures, where...
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_119.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_120.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_121.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_122.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_123.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_124.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_125.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_126.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_127.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_128.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_129.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_130.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_131.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_132.jpg  
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Nicely Done

Radek,

Nicely done!

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Oh yes, I remember well the Christmas Bazaar @ NurnBerg, FRG and that wonderful hot spiced wine or as you called it "Gluhwein" and those delicious cookies, Leafcookeum. Please pardon if I did not spell it correctly, but those from the USA that have spent any time in Germany during Christmas, know these cookies that are only available during the Holiday. Even after all these years, I still remember those fantasy like Christmas' while stationed there. I really like the build of this vessel RdK. I did not see if anyone answered your question about the dead eyes shape, period shape f/this vessel was not round, but as you have pointed out, tear drop or almost a rounded corners triangle, point down on bottom, up on top. Hope this has been of help, and I will follow this thread closely. I happen to just love this little apple bottom vessel.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Superb work on the planking! This really is coming out quite well, and well worth the extra time and effort for recreating the planking runs.

Can't wait to see more as you progress on this build!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Color and wales on the hull

Hi everybody in 2011!

After the vacation the the pilgrims journey continues.

Thx for the comments and the confirmation about the deadeyes! Very appreciated!
I do not exactly know what kind of cookies you mean, Rick. There are so many and each county in Germany has its own traditional cookies...

I've managed to paint a little bit (Humbrol model paint) and make the wales on the starboard side of the hull. Now I have to do the same with the larboard side. It is not easy to glue this long wales made out of 1mm carton in a very straight way (stripes made out of balsa would have been easier). But I think the result is not too bad (at least in 3D).

I decided to leave the underwater hull in the wooden appearance. This might be not historically correct but nicer to my wife's eye.

Rgds,
RdK
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_133.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_134.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_135.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_136.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_137.jpg  

Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdK View Post

I decided to leave the underwater hull in the wooden appearance. This might be not historically correct but nicer to my wife's eye.
Ach te kobiety
Radek try to explain to your wife that unprotected wood rots when exposed to water. In the case of unpainted hull ship would sink, and Pilgrims did not arrive to America.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Your hull has the texture of a real boat. The plank lines are not perfect which makes it seem very real. One of the best. You are among the ranks of the very best here!!
Google Adsense