PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
That's one beautiful "beak"! The whole ship is wonderful, so far, I expect it will end that way.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Locomotives and sailboats I think is the toughest model kit. You are a master modeler. Amazing ship.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek,
Excellent results. There really is nothing here to indicate that it is your "first" scratch build. I would also add: the more images the better.
Mike
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdK View Post
Hi @ all!

@ Jim: thanks for the quick reply! Very appreciated!

This weekend I was able to finish the galleon, or beak (is it also called head?).
Yep, that is the "head" of the Galleon...but it sure looks like a beak! Want to know why it was called a "head"? It was used as the sailor's toilet area...and that term is still used today as the name for a lavoratory or men's room.

Really excellent work, Radek...you continue to treat us with your superb craftsmanship. Thank you for posting so many truly wonderful photos!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Excellent build!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Talking ...continuation...

Hi there everyone!

...It's been a long time since my last post here. The short summer time here in Finland has to be used. And the school kept me busy, too. But stepping by @ papermodelers.com, even when mostly silent, is always a pleasure and inspiration! So it happend, that inspired by Mike's work with the M.N.F. Iena I found a solution for the problem, that caused me headache since March - The Grating.

After several failed attempts during the summer in trying somehow to make the grating from individual parts, the solution came by the inspiration of Mike's precision: to take the scalpel and just cut out the grating from one piece of card! The holes are 1x1mm, and that is why I was so scared of it.

I will post later the pics how I made it and the final result. Also, I tried to make some kind of stand. It is not ready yet, but the two pictures show the idea.

Now, slowly (but not as slow as since the last post ) but surely I want to finish the details on the decks and set the masts.

So much for now...I'm back!

Rgds,
RdK
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf185.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf187.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM

This is fascinating! My only slight criticism is that to the best of my knowlege there are no contemporary drawings of the Mayflower for anyone to produce plans from. That said, however this is an amazing build. I was very impressed with your "mock-up" deck, with the planks properly cogged into the margin plank, and, as for your methopd of producing the compound curves in the hull plates, Ive never seen that technique before, but I'll definitely be giving that a try!

waiting with bated breath for the next installment,

Brian
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Hello Rdk, so glad to see you back @ it and posting again. Looking forward to your continued progress on this most wonderful build. I understand there may not be any concrete plans for this vessel, but your's looks fine to me.
Rick
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Thx, Brian!

For my model I use the plans from 1976 by 'Waldemar Nowy' (Gdańsk/Poland). I am not sure, but I think they are from the "Mayflower II", build in the 1950's. There is also a slight easier version from "Mały Modelarz 03/2001". But there are no contemporary plans (at least not yet discovered) as far as I know and you mentioned...

The method for the hull, or rather to produce the compound curves is my own one, when I remembered how I wanted to do some convex parts for a model as a child. I used an iron sphere and was able to make almost half-round parts in a thick cardboard (I believe it was about 2 or more millimeter thick). And afterwards I cut it out to remove the outer "flat parts". It was like re-making round plastic parts from cardboard... I can't remember, though, why I needed them (maybe for an airplane model??).

Rgds,
Radek

PS: Thx, Rick! More is to follow since the winter starts (which means "modeling time"!!)
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Radek,
Your talent is obvious! Thank you for sharing your efforts with us and more importantly,
your methods. Those methods are going to find a way into my ship when the time comes for the decks. The gratings scare me and I really want to see how you made yours. On another note...one of my first girlfriends was of Fin descent. One evening sipping Vodka together, she pulled out a small ceramic container of salt fish. My God, did the vodka go down nice after that! I know, I know...nothing to do with modeling at all but I just like the international flavour of our hobby

Talk soon
Ron