PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Radek, you're the closest I've seen to wizard. It is an inspiration to see how you addressed this model and various challenges. Many, many thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi there!

Thank you setnaffa and my apologies to all that I haven't been doing much here in the forum but my PhD work, which is coming soon to an end requires my full attention. I hope to be able to continue my projects next year spring...

Rgds,
Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Glad to see that this project is still active. I was afraid it had fallen by the wayside. By all means, pay attention to your studies. Real life comes first. We'll be here when your studies are done. Looking forward to the resumption of your modeling.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM

It's good to see you go on with this ship. Perfect work.

Tomek
Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 PM

Lightbulb ...to be continued...

Hi everyone!

Sorry for my long absence, unfortunately life is busy and one has to set priorities. And paper modelling was not one of them during the last three years. Meanwhile I have even less time to finish my thesis, but if everything goes well I will be done writing down everything this year and defend my thesis next year.

With all that stress I decided to come back to one of my favorite hobbies: paper-ship-modelling (sorry Tapcho, the Panhardt still has to wait a bit...) and prepared a working space for the autumn to come. I purchased also a wooden-kit model of a brigantine, which I plan to start assembling soon as well. But at the same time I would like to continue with my Galleon Neptune project and of course my 'beloved' Mayflower!

...So I took the Mayflower out of her box, dusty and in a shabby condition...few parts fell off, the paint starting to look pale... But after removing the dust and fixing the ailments she starts to look again like no day has passed since she was last time on my modelling cutting board..!

So I continue by finishing the tear-drop shaped dead eyes and I also got some wooden blocks. However, most of the blocks I will need should be still smaller! So maybe I will do them from paper like in my Koga Elbląska...

Here are a few pictures of my working desk (besides this forum my other motivation factor!), the wooden kit which I will soon post the progress on at modelshipworld.com and the blocks and dead eyes...

Next step is to start finally with the rigging, beginning with the bowsprit.

I am happy to be back here at the wonderful papermodelers forum!

Rgds,

Radek

"The pilgrims scrubbed the deck of the Mayflower diligently, helped fixing what was broken in the last storm and began to refit the rigging..They had to if they ever wanted to see the new world..!"

Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf310.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf309.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-bp001.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf312.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf311.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf313.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2018, 05:56 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek:
It is good to hear from you again.
I look forward to seeing more of your fine work.

Mike
Old 08-21-2018, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Also looking forward to future updates. Great photos of your on-going projects!!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Good luck and have fun! This will be also a very good looking model.

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 AM

Rigging...

Hi everyone!

Thx Michael, eatcrow and Jacek! I have to apologize for the quality of my pictures. My snapshot camera is still collecting dust so I have to do the pictures with my smartphone..

After seeing a picture on the internet (pic. 1) I've decided to use the 2.5 and 3.0mm blocks I've purchased from a Russian company "Master Korabel" (the same where I've bought the Phoenix wooden kit model - excellent quality by the way! ) since the size seem to be just right when comparing with the existing Mayfolwer II replica. The replica is under restoration right now and there are nice posts on Instagram, youtube etc. regarding the progress.

But first I need tons of rope...

Since my other method to do rope requires a lot of beer (and beer here in Finland is expensive) I decided to build a small ropewalk (pic. 2).

Material and method
For that I used some screw-hooks I had in store and a relatively thick card box. I screwed the hooks through the card, hardened the openings with CA so they last longer as they will wear out through the rotation of the hooks and build a small Dr.Oetker who will guide the threads so they do not get messed up (pics 3, 4 & 5). The card boxes are fixed with clamps to the table in the required distance, threads attached to the hooks, and then roll and roll...
I need about 300 rotations with each of the hooks to achieve quite some nice results of about 30cm long rope - double, triple or quadruple twisted (pic. 6).

Meanwhile I also managed to attach the necessary blocks to the bowsprit by using a single thread to fix the loops with the help of a little bit of CA superglue (not the gel!) as seen in the next two pics.

The last two pics show the ready bowsprit and as it will be attached to the Mayflower.

Meanwhile I am finishing the deadeyes and prepare the shrouds for the first mast. For that I need to prepare the mast first with all the blocks it needs and then glue it in place. I am very excited about glueing the mast in place as it has been a long while since I did it last time for a vessel with more than just one mast. After all, the pilgrims need the masts to be able to move somewher forward, right?

Rgds,

Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf319.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf314.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf315.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf316.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf317.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf318.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf320.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf321.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf322.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf323.jpg  

Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I enjoyed reading about your technique.
Very challenging. I look forward to seeing you rig your ship.
Google Adsense