PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-13-2018, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Rigging...

Hi @ all!

So here come some pictures from the rigging.

Rigging is in the easier papermodels such as for instance those from 'Maly Modelarz' not properly explained so if someone is not used to rig sail ships it is necessary to search the internet for the proper techniques.
I am learning a lot with the Mayflower and it is a basis for my future models. Also I did some research on the internet and the purchase of the wooden model kit of the russian brigantine Phoenix gives some interesting insights to proper rigging of square sail ships.
Of course the plans I have for the mayflower are good. So...

Material and methods

-threads, bocks, plans...

First I had to check the plans. They are really good with stating all the ropes with their proper names and by number (pic.1). The number then I have translated to the rigging plan to learn which rope is which... (pic.2 & 3) Then I used the approach of rigging from stem to stern, beginning with the bowsprit.

First I prepare all the blocks needed and attach them to the mast, before I glue the mast in place. Otherwise it is quite a struggle to attache them to the mast, once it is glued in place. this happened to me with two of the blocks (the ones for the uphaul) for the fore mast, as I struggled to figure out, where they are attached to (pic. 4)??
After a bit of research I came up with the solution as presented in pic. 5 and 6. Pic. 6 also shows how the shrouds (five on each side of the mast) are attached to the mast and after they are done, I attach the forestay (thick line going from the fore mast to the bowsprit). After that I started with the ratlines and am still going on with them as indicated in the plans (pic. 7).

The last pictures (pic. 8 to 13) show the result thus far on the model.

Ratlines are quite a challenge as they can change - stretch or compress - the distance between the individual shrouds if the knot is put wrongly.

All together a nice learning experience and progress is a bit slow, but steady...

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf329.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf330.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf331.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf332.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf333a.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-ms333b.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf334.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf335.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf336.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf337.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf338.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf339.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf340.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Some progress, congratulations!
Your solution to problems with rigging is perfectly correct. Blocks were fastened to stays and crosstrees. Think about the diameter of ropes - stays were the thickest ropes on sailships, ratlines were rather thin.
And try to get rid of these tiny hairs in the future. Perhaps beeswax or sparse wood glue?
I am waiting for further progress :-)))
Old 09-13-2018, 05:25 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
It is always fascinating to watch the sail ship builders resolve the issues of rigging.
Nice work Radek.
Mike
Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Hi!

@ Seahorse: Thanks for the reassurance. Is there a common way as to which blocks are attached to which part of the crosstrees or was it rather a random thing differing from ship to ship (even in the same time period)?

And now I see how the ropes look almost same in diameter in the last pictures. But don't worry, they are not. The plan shows a thickness for a scale 1:50 so I halved it (approximately) by using for instance only the tiniest thread for the ratlines, a rope made from 3 threads for the shrouds and one made out of 4 threads for the stays. I marked the amount of threads for each rope in the plan (pic. 1) I attached some pictures, maybe the difference in the thickness is better visible on these ones?

And I've bought some beeswax today and will try to make some rope for the main mast shrouds and finish the other side of the ratlines for the fore mast.

@ Mike: Thanks for the interest in rigging! I read somewhere that once you rig one ship properly (which I've never done) then it is all the same for all the other ships. I'll put it to the test!

Oh, and although I try to keep the deadeyes straight, the difference in height adds a bit more realism to the Mayflower

-RdK
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf346.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf341.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf342.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf343.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf344.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf345.jpg  
Old 09-24-2018, 02:29 AM

Crow's nest...

Hi @ all!

The deadeyes are all complete, and the crow's nests have been finished. The pilgrims need a look out point from where to spot the new land, right?

Material & Method

Pic. 1 shows again how I make the small loop for the other ropes. It is just a double loop (1.) then I pull the end of the thread through it (2.) attach it to the rope (3.) and tighten (4.). I use CA superglue but NOT!! the gel! The super glue does not stay on the surface of the rope/thread but gets soaked quickly and dries within few seconds. Hope you can see something on that picture...

Crow's nest
The next 3 pics show what I used for the crow's nest. Again I use 1mm thick cardboard and use the self adhesive foil for the wooden look. Then I use oil paints (burnt umber, burned sienna, lamp black) to alter the parts.

It turned out very difficult to attach the foil in a bended way as it can get bended only as much after which it tries to get back in a more relaxed position. In such a case I need to use CA, which can cause quite a mess...

The rail where I attached the deadeyes was painted black with an acrylic marker. The deadeyes are wooden ones which I sanded into the triangular shape. They are simply too small for my clumsy fingers to make them myself.. I used a tiny copper wire painted black to attach them to the rail with a small loop on the underside for the shrouds.

Pic. 4 shows the little math I used to figure out how to transfer the diagonal shape of the crow's nest onto a 2D sheet. Important was to figure out the theta angle (or the length of the part within the circle) so that the diagonal shape will be as in the plans. Finally my studies come in handy... The picture should be self explanatory.

The last four pictures show the Mayflower in its current state. The upper masts and the crow's nests are not glued in place yet.

Rigging continues slowly and after all the deadeyes have been finished the progress should fasten up a bit...
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf347.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf348.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf349.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf350.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf351.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf352.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf353.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf354.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 AM
POTM Moderator

It is a pleasure to see the drawings of your approach to your work.
The results are dramatic in those "blue background" images.
Mike
Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice work!

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Looking very pretty! The overall view is great, the rigging changes the look of the model so quickly! Fun to see.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Stays and Shrouds...

Hi @ all!

Small changes in the look. I've attached the 5-hole deadeye for the main topmast stay and glued the outlook with the futtock shrouds in place on the foremast (pic. 1&2).
I must say that the foremast shrouds look very chaotic and messy... The futtocks also stretched them a bit apart so I consider attaching catharpins, but need to figure out which ones. I think I've seen a description about some from that era which use a deadeye and a block. Not the easiest ones but more according to the time period of 1620.

Method for stays and shrouds

The deadeyes for the shrouds were first glued "head on" in about the same height as marked with the blue dotted line in pic. 3. Because I do not use any jig due to the small scale, this was the best way I could come up with to get them as even as possible. Of course it did not work out with every one, especially the mizzen mast ones differ quite a lot. But this was a merchant vessel so things were not as shipshape as later on in the royal navy...
Pic. 4 shows what I do to avoid them to twist:
- Once I pull the first thread through the lower deadeye the upper one twists a bit.
- Then I give it one more spin in the same direction, before
- leading the thread through the second hole in the upper deadeye.
- That way the tension from the twist will "straighten" the twisted deadeye back in place.

For the stopper in the stay foremast stay I used a drop of glue (pic. 5), because it seemed impossible for me to twist a thread around the line in that position at the bowsprit. The other stays have a thread winded around the line.

I tried to give the stays a bit of slack, after all such a heavy rope bends under its own weight and the weight of the big 5-hole deadeyes, but judge for yourself!

One mistake I made by attaching the mizzen stay (which is made out of three threads compared to the main stay with four) to the main mast as the main stay...
Had to cut it, adjust the length in several places and put it where it belongs, to the mizzen mast. Was quite some work. Puh...

Next is the terrifying ratline work which I am so bad at that afterwards the shrouds look like a hurricane destroyed the ship..! But this is a welcomed challenge and opportunity to improve...

My apologies for the quality of the pictures but I still have to use my smartphone... :/

-Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf355.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf359.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf356.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf357.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf358.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf360.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf361.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf362.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf363.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf364.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf365.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf366.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf367.jpg  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM
POTM Moderator

Masterful work Radek.
Skillful display of rigging technique on display here.

Mike
Google Adsense