PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice pics of the rigging. Ship rigging is sort of mesmerizing to me. There is a stark, functioning beauty to it.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Magic, nicely done to you, Sir.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I learned some new methodss from you. Thank you
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Smile Catherpins...

Hi @ all!

Thanks friends for the encouragement in your words! We all never stop learning new methods here on papermodelers.com That's why we are here...

Progress is a bit slow due to my busy schedule, but steady. I've managed to finish the ratlines and do some research on catherpins because the shrouds were pulled apart after attaching the futtock shrouds. And here's what I've found regarding the catherpins:

Material and Methods

I remember seeing some catherpins from the 17th century somewhere and found the following description from 'The Rigging of Ships: in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720' by R.C. Anderson on books.goole, with a figure showing the way done in the early 17th century (pic. 1), quote:

"The English method of about 1625 is described very clearly in the "Treatise of Rigging." Two ordinary 3-hold deadeyes were each stropped to a single block (pic. 2). The "legs" of the catharpins passed through the holes in the deadeyes, making six parts to each (pic. 3), and each leg was secured to a shroud. The "fall" started from one block, ran through the two blocks and was made fast between the block and the deadeye on the opposite side from its standing part (pic. 4)."

Pic. 5 & 6 show main and fore mast, respectively. I've made 5 "legs" for the fore mast catherpins and 7 "legs" for the main mast ones, according to the number of shrouds.

The blocks at the fore mast are coming very close together and the catherpins on the main mast are not even (pic. 7) because I managed to make one more row or ratlines on the starboard side compared to the larboard..

Pics 8 to 10 show the state of the Mayflower at the moment. The fore top mast is already glued in place and I hope to finish the standing rigging still this week.

So much for now,

RdK

PS:I consider to buy this book and will let you know in a future post, how good it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf368.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf369.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf370.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf371.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf372.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf373.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf374.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf375.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf376.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf377.jpg  

In the Garage: PANHARD AML20

Last edited by RdK; 10-15-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I like that last photo Radek.
It looks like a "wooden" ship.
Great work.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
'The Rigging of Ships: in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720' by R.C. Anderson . I own this book Radek. Unfortunately it's been put up and not unpacked since we moved house. I can, however, endorse its' purchase without reservation. Clear drawings and descriptions. You won't regret buying it.

Last edited by elliott; 10-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I have an extra copy. Send me your address and I will send it to you.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Lightbulb Backstays, Flags, research and knowledge...

Hi @ all!

Thanks Mike for the encouragement!

And thanks Elliott for the recommendation and Ab for the book!
I already applied it in the rigging process for the fore top sail lift (pic. 1) And with it I noticed that at a scale of 1:100 in cm such realistic details are a real pain-in-the-neck! Maybe even not worth doing as it takes very long time and very steady hands do do such small knots, which one anyways cannot see in the end result...

Nevertheless, I do not consider it wasted time because this build is a learning experience for me to get as close to the reality as possible and learn about the rigging of sail ships in this case in the early 17th century.

Methods thus far...

So I attached the whole length of the rope for the lift before glueing the fore top-gallant mast in place (pic. 2). Also the backstay had to be made. It consists of a two-threaded rope attached to some blocks as seen in pic. 3 & 4. For the blocks I used a single and a double 2.5mm and a single 3.5mm. The line was made to a loop with the help of a needle and fixed with CA before being attached to the block(s). For the double-block with the hook I used a single thread and the hook itself was made from the tiny copper wire I used before for the deadeyes with the help of the sharp pin of my compass.
Pictures 5 to 8 show the attached and rigged backstays. The running line (single brown thread) is not glued to the cleat, yet.

A question arose from studying the plans regarding the flag, as already asked in Ab's thread of the wonderful Lenox regarding the rigging of flags in these old ships. The modern replica of the Mayflower II has a line going all the way to the deck, as marked with the red dotted line and the arrows in pic. 9. But as you mentioned, Ab, there could have been other ways to attach the flag high up in the masts.

So following your advice and studying contemporary paintings and trying to do some research, I've found an interesting detail in one of Willem van de Velde the Younger's painting of the surrender of Prince Royal at the four days battle in 1666 AD (pic. 10). If you note in the picture I highlight with a red dotted line the path of the rope used for the white flag. Also interesting is to see the sailor high up in the crosstree doing the job. So I decided to do the same with my model - run the line only to the crosstree and attach it somewhere there, where it would make sense for the sailor to get well along with. But more about that in a later post about how I shape flags...

It is really great fun to do some research and study these old paintings, models and literature. I could spend more time doing that than actually building the model!

The standing rigging stands now for the bowsprit and the fore mast, as seen in the rest of the pictures, which show the model as it is for now. Unfortunately I did not manage to finish all the standing rigging last week.

Next is finishing the standing rigging and shaping the yards and sails.

Thanks again Ab for the great book by R.C. Andersson, which I will read intensely in my free time and apply to my models.

Cheers and Ahoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf380.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf381.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf382.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf383.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf384.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf385.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf386.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf387.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf378.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf379.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf388.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf389.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf390.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf391.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 10-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Absolutely stunning work Radek along with some really great photography. Love the pics of the rigging; looks like you're doing well there.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great work, Radek. I hoped, I would help you with the flag and I had a look into "Susan Constant 1605" of B. Lavery. Unfortunately he doesn't show anything about flags in his drawings:-) Go on with the model!

Tomek
Google Adsense