PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-25-2018, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Sails Part two ...Hoist the sail when the wind is fair...

Hi @ all!

Thanks Vermin_King! Indeed I tried to make the overall look a bit antique. This is also why I chose to make the running rigging a bit "brownish dark" rather than the typical bright color of hemp rope, maybe slightly dirty by darkening with a bit of black (in my next built ).

Finally the fore mast is set completely (with the exception of the top sail halliard, where I made a mistake, more on it next time).

Material and Methods
Sails, plastic foil, sand and clear varnish. In addition some single thread, twofold woven thread/rope and plenty of 2.5mm and 3.5mm blocks...

When the sail is sawn to my satisfaction, I mount it with a thread on a stick (pic. 1), attach more thread and some white synthetic packing yarn on each corner (pic. 2) and hang the whole thing on two chairs over a small cardboard box (pic. 3).
I use some plastic wrap foil or a plastic bag, filled with sand to give the sail the desired shape (pics 3&4). Then I paint the sail with the clear varnish from below and wait until everything hardens (6-12 hours). In the pictures 3 and 4 you see the first sail hanging without the wooden stick. Later I decided to use the wooden stick on the top side of the sail as seen in the first and second picture.

I must admit it worked better for my Elbing cog. This might have something to do with the varnish I use in this built. Sadly, here sometimes it is difficult to find certain products and I do not have the old varnish anymore.

The yard has to be prepared prior to attaching the sail. For the fore sail yard I needed 22 blocks (pic. 5) for the different rigging lines. Pic. 6 shows the sail ready to be attached to the yard.
The next picture 7 shows the ready fore top sail before mounting it to the mast. It shows what lines I have to attach to the yard and sail before mounting to the mast: two times clew lines (red), two times bunt lines (blue), two times brace tackles (green), and the halliard (halyard, black). In addition, not shown on the picture, were still the parrel beads on one side of the halliard. After mounting all this and other additional lines on the mast (i.e. lifts, leeches, sheets, etc.), the parrel beads went around the mast and were mounted on the other side. I will post a picture next time from the main mast rigging.

Meanwhile on the deck there was pure chaos (pic. 8) as the different lines were mounted to their destinations in the belaying pins according to the plans. Had to buy some additional tweezers to accomplish the task. Honestly, after making the fore mast, everything makes sense and rigging the next mast and next models should go more smoothly.

The rest of the pictures show how the ready rigged (except for the top sail halliard) stem of the Mayflower looks like based on the plans I use. On some pictures you can see how the thread is still fluffy despite using bees wax. Luckily this is all so small that it is barely seen. I still treat the threads with the wax after they are attached to the ship. But I've found some other yarn I will use in my next built.

I tried to accomplish a look of "sails in action" under a strong wind coming from starboard aft. Thus also, some of the lines are more loose than the others.

So much for now. Next post most probably next year as I will travel a bit to escape the dark days here in the North..

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf416.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf417.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf418.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf419.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf420.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf421.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf422.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf423.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf424.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf425.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf426.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf427.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf428.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf429.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf430.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf431.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf432.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf433.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf434.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf435.jpg  

In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-25-2018, 02:34 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Radek:
Those are excellent dramatic photos . . . with skillful use of lighting.
Your Mayflower continues to impress.
Mike
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 AM

Anchor...

Hi @ all!

Thank you Mike!The light is natural sun light, which hangs really low in the sky during the winter months here...

For the pilgrims to be able to settle the new lands, they need to be able to anchor the ship in a safe bay.

Throughout the winter holiday I've managed to make some progress on the cannons and anchors. I needed a break from stitching the sails and rigging...

Material & Methods

I used mainly a 1mm thick card, a thin card for the metal bands around the stock, the self adhesive foil, a 1mm thick wire and oil paints (burned umber, burned sienna, black).

Picture 1 shows the anchor parts ready to be assembled on the left and the individual parts in a 'raw state' on the right.
From the plans I copied the anchor shank and arms as well as the stock on the thick card (pic. 2). The anchor shank was then glued on another 1mm card, cut and glued again on another card to have a 3 layer thick anchor (pic. 3), which was then cut into shape with the scalpel. The stock was made from 3 layers as well, of which the outer layers have the self adhesive foil attached (pic. 4&5). The wooden parts were altered with oil paint, the anchor and the ring were painted with a black acrylic marker. It gives it a shiny metallic appearance, although there is no metallic particles in the marker.

Pictures 6&7 show the ready anchor resting on a 'stone' next to the captain and pic.8 shows the real anchor next to the captain...

More will follow soon!

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf441.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf437.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf438.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf439.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf440.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf442.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf443.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf444.jpg  
Old 01-13-2019, 03:01 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
It is easy to forget how big those anchors are . . . even on the old sail ships.
Your final photo puts it into perspective.
Mike
Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 AM

That's true, Mike!

I had the same thought and hence decided to include the last picture. That anchor is just around the corner of our apartment block here in Espoo.

I think the model one from the Mayflower and the real one on the last picture are fairly the same size...

-RdK
Google Adsense
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Pity this sort of anchor is 19th century.
The stock consisted of two halves, which were nailed to each other. For storing purposes a variant was invented with iron bands, which could be removed to take the stock apart.
I advise you to remove the bands.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
In fact the shape of these old anchors is quite different too. The person who made the drawing you used simply choose a 19th century one, thinking anchors have always been the same. They have not.
Here are the anchors belonging to Wasa: They show angles, the hands are half the length of the arms and the stocks don't have bands...
Fortunately with your talent it will be a piece of cake to make new ones. (there were at least four on a ship like the Mayflower, with different sizes)
Good luck.
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-scan.png
Old 01-15-2019, 01:26 PM

Lightbulb ...Time machine..?...

Thanks Ab for the professional input!

As you can see in the plans (picture 2 in my previous post), the stock is made from two halves, so at least Mr. Waldemar Nowy got that right...
I used three card pieces out of convenience since I had only 1mm card at hand and needed a 3mm thick stock.

And applying your counsel, I will make new ones. I also made a quick research and found a picture of this anchor from 1684CE (see picture by atlanticscuba/SWNS.com). This is close enough for the Mayflower in 1620CE to me...

A very interesting story about a merchant ship called the PRESIDENT. "...It was involved into a battle with several pirate vessels off the Malabar coast of India. After a lucky shot hit the powder magazine of one of the pirate vessels, it exploded and the President won the battle. Unfortunately the weather prohibited the crew to land at the coast to restock and so the weakened sailors continued their unlucky and stormy voyage until after even eating the ship's dog ('a delicate banquet') they were too weak to work the ship and shipwrecked off the Cornish coast in Mount's bay...Only tow men survived and nearly escaped death by a fine gentleman who rescued them from some local country men 'buggers' who wanted to knock the poor survivors on the head for believing they stored away something of high value, being the only ones alive... The estimated value that had been lost is about one hundred thousand pounds 'with much treasure of pearls and diamonds'..."

The whole story was published in a pamphlet and cen be read here.

So since the Pilgrims had no time machine to get an anchor from the 19th century, they will get proper ones (of low quality, as it was typical for that time) from the 17th century...

-RdK
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf445.jpg  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.0 KB
Great looking ship!!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Thanks Modlerbob!

At the moment I am forced to have a little break due to my study. But my projects are definitely not abandoned.

More progress will follow soon this year on the Mayflower and my other undertakings in paper modelling.

Rgds,
Radek
Google Adsense