Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent work!

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Old 11-26-2020, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Lightbulb ...More Sun Pictures....

Hi there!

@JCK: Thanks, bro!

Here some more sunny pictures, this time hopefully a bit better.

Interestingly, at a certain angle one can see the typical bulkhead-ribs through the tiny layer of cardboard planks. I use typically only one layer of card and then apply the self adhesive foil planks on it. Also interestingly in my model the ribs are reverse, meaning the planks between the bulkhead-ribs are concave as if the ship would be fat. Usually they are convex, giving the hull a rather skinny, starving appearance. I might have overdone it with shaping the individual card-strips or panels between the bulkheads. But you do not really see them in normal light...

Also a small update on the flags and the name-sign. After my wife noticed that freshly painted flags are too clean in comparison with the sails, I tried to alter them a bit with oil paints, to make them appear worn and dirty. Judge for yourself. The letters on the name-sign are not glued in place, yet.

So much for now!

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf522.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf521.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf520.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf512.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf513.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf514.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf515.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf516.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf517.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf518.jpg  

In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 11-27-2020, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.74 MB
Excellent work. Looks very good. A glass urn to protect the model would not be bad. Congratulations.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:08 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Looks perfect Radek, as she nears completion.
The "Rib-Bulkhead" problem you describe cannot be seen in the photos.
Mike
Old 11-28-2020, 12:49 PM

Smile ....Almost there...

Hi there!

@ Frigae 264: Thank you. A glass cover would be nice but I do not have enough space (Finnish apartments are quite small). A brush to dust it off now and then will do...

@Mike:Thanks for the kind words. You can see the Bulkhead position only if the light comes form a certain angle, almost horizontal. I'll try to make some images about it as I think it is good to address this problem, which stems from my way of constructing the hull without fillers...

Hoisting Flags: Material & Methods

-CA-gel glue
-Enamel paints
-oil paints "yellow ochre" and "burned umber"
-tiny black marker (acetone-free)
-BEER !!

I make the flags after a method I have learned from other, much better model makers than me. Instead of using fabric, I use metal, because it can bend nicely in many shapes and forms, resembling a flag in the wind. First I drink the beer of choice...
Then I wash the can, cut out a piece (Pic.1) and straighten it, because it is bent from the form of the can. I pierce through the plans onto the metal to get the right dimensions of the flag, and then cut it out with normal scissors (Pic.2) a bit like paper modelling... It is good to pierce a bit outside the lines to cut out the metal a bit inside of the piercing marks. Then I paint the flag colors with the enamel colors (for plastic models) and, as my lovely wife pointed out, if they appear too clean I try to alter them a bit with turpentine-diluted oil paints. After that I glue the thread in place and imitate the attachment ropes with some drops of CA (Pic.3). Once dry, I color them with the black tiny marker. It is important that it is acetone-free as acetone dilutes the CA again...of course my marker is not acetone-free...
Then I bent it with hands, by means of tiny brushes, and roundnose pliers so that in the end they resemble being blown by the wind...(Pic.4).

The name-tag for the stand is ready, too, made entierly out of old cardboard (the one I use for my Spanish Pirate Neptune build). I used a golden marker for the letters and the sides of the name-tag, "signed" it on the other side and attached two diagonal legs (Pic.5&6). The wooden-foil covered parts and the edges as well as the places around the letters have been then altered a bit with black oil paint to make the name-tag look a bit more like old wood.

Right now I make the rope coils, and a few I've made already I messed up by using the CA-glue instead of the CA-gel. The problem with the CA-glue is that it is more liquid and soaks fast into the thread, making it look really ugly (like chewed and spit out again...). But I learn for the future and make the ones now with the right type of glue... Hope to finish my Mayflower tomorrow or in the coming days...

In the next post I will present then the ready finished Mayflower as she finally arrives at her destination in the New World!

-Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf523.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf524.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf519.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf528.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf525.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf526.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf527.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2020, 11:25 AM

Talking ...Final Arrival in the New World....

Hi everyone!

Herby the long journey comes to an end. I've managed to mount all the rope coils with excessive use of CA...

My Pilgrims finally arrived, more or less in time for the 400 year anniversary...

Time to sign a legal document, that allows them to settle where they were not supposed to, in an area today known as Plymouth:

"...In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereigne Lord, King James, by the grace of God, of Great Britaine, France and Ireland king, defender of the faith, etc. having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honour of our king and country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the Northerne parts of Virginia, doe by these presents solemnly and mutually in the presence of God and one of another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civill body politick, for our better ordering and preservation, and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enacte, constitute, and frame such just and equall laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meete and convenient for the generall good of the Colonie unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cape-Codd the 11. of November, in the year of the raigne of our sovereigne lord, King James, of England, France and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fiftie-fourth. Anno Dom. 1620..."

Thank you all for being part of the journey!

-Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf531.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf532.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf533.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf534.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf535.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf536.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf537.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf538.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf539.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf540.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf541.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf542.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf543.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf544.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf545.jpg  

Old 12-01-2020, 11:44 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
It was a pleasure to watch this from beginning to end Radek.
The work is superb, and you have provided a fine gallery of photos.
Mayflower has never looked better.
Mike
Old 12-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Congratulations on completing the Mayflower. Excellent work. Really enjoyed your thread.

Fred
Old 12-05-2020, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! Very impressive! I feel like I´m in an online museum! Congratulations!

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Old 12-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Beautiful work, sir. I especially enjoy when you give us tips on how you achieve your outstanding builds
Google Adsense