PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question Good ol Ironsides

Hey do you know if there is any paper model of frigates and brigs in the time peirod 1750-1830? Are there any of royal navy and US Navy frigates?And are they free????
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Eddie, this about the 7th or 8th time you have made essentially the same request. If you want to build a decently detailed vessel of the sailing era you are going to have to pay for it. If you go to the links section of the forum then select publishers you find a list with links to sites that sell what you are looking for.

~cheers
Douglas
Attached Thumbnails
Good ol Ironsides-get-there.jpg  
Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Yeppers, afraid you will have to break down and fork over some bucks if you want anything really detailed and buildable. The free models are meant for folks to try their hand at card models in general for the most part. Learn your chops on the free stuff and graduate to the bought and paid for types for the really good ones.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 AM

I have the 1986 3-4 Maly production of the VICTORY. It is made of maybe 90Lb pulpy acidic card stock and instruction pages of something about equil to an American daily newspaper. The model will not last 50 more years without a pressurized nitrogen vault. The colors are off tone, with alignment shifted print, and a complete set of sails. The entire kit is the product of poor people with inkpins and french curves and an over due deadline. Computers were in banks except the Apples with B/W screens and 2k games. The kit is fantastic and look forward to having the berries to try it. There is also the Maly 2004 1-2 Cutty Sark. Laser sharp, super colors, full sails, very good paper stock, and less instructions than a Tiwan made tricycle. This will be a real sharp kit finished. I also have the Maly 2004 10-11-12 Uss Essex WWII carrier. I never opened the celophane yet. I have less the $20.00USD invested in them all on FEbay and could copy them then resale to recoupe cost...but couldnt. I like the kit and wont. I also have the Koolik 1/72nd u-boat. Want awsome? this is it. well there all awsome. You can own a paper kit and build it over and over and over for the cost of card and ink. Try that with the new $189.00USD Trumpeter ship. I have hundreds of paper kits bought about 2 dozen and only finished 2 but love the kits. The previous posters are right that most free kits ...are free. How much work how many hours are any of us willing to invest in something just to post for no return. Kudos to Gary Pilsworth and the others for douing just that and thankyou also to Kookli for the design work and the others like Dave with the repaints with them and with out builders support this hobbie would have died 15 minutes after Tojo put ink to paper on the Mighty Mo and freed up industrial production and oil for plastic to make darkside kits.
Poor observation from the third newest guy standing back at the end of the line.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
What about the downloadable Wilhelmshaven Constitution for $8?

http://www.papermod.com/esd-a-shop/index1.html
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the link. I see they have the Liberty ship John W Brown
for about $10.00. A lot of people have been looking for this model...Ron
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.95 MB
Do it by your self !

Hello everybody,

if you're looking for ships and plans

Look at there :
Quinze marins sur le bahut du mort...: Frégate du XVIII ème siècle au 1/40 ème

or french navy from end of XIX century to XX :

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.def...to/central.php

and for my american friends and for the others too :

L'Hermione, La Frégate de la liberté - Introduction - Le projet - L'Histoire

Faithfully
Valmy
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM

thanks for telling me. I forked some buckes in for some wargame models
Old 11-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I think I already responded to this basic question previously....

USS Constitution

What else is it you are looking for?

If you are looking for free, not much chance of that, as everyone has said, if you want some detail.

Regards,
Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
I apologize for not being able to be more specific, maybe someone has the link or the model, since I am not motivated enough and too tired to search my old files or do a google session.
Its late and I am going to bed as soon as I sign off.
Several years ago there was a fairly decent hand drawn card model of a sailing ship posted by a Russian children's magazine. Each issue of the magazine had stories, what looked like an educational or current events article, a how to project, and a nice paper model. In addition to the sailing ship I remember other issues had a car, airplane or a gun.
I remember that the entry page had an image of a treasure chest.
The site seems to have been abandoned in the early 2000's since it was not being updated with new issues. Probably post-Soviet children are no longer satisfied with paper models and are demanding that their parents give them Nintendoes and Xboxes.
As I recall it would build into a nice retro looking "coffee table" model.
The site might still be there, see if you can find it. May be someone else might remember the link.

Canon Creative Park has a couple of stylized late 19th century clipper ships.

The WilhelmshavenConstitution model is a bargain, well worth the effort and sacrifice required to save up the purchase price. The instructions have been Englished and guide you step by step through the building process. I purchased one a while back and it is one my build list. I am still building mostly simple freebies, I figure if I stay healthy and continue to build, might be able to tackle a more complex model a couple of years from now.
Google Adsense