PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Digital Navy's Admirable

I am building this for my son. I scaled it up 200%. There are no supports inside for this model so there is a lot of fabrication to keep it stiff. It is nice model. Not too many parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy's Admirable-img_1882.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm delighted to see you building this model. I've read several of the German build threads and started the 1/200 version last year. I made some mistakes in the process and decided to start over. Other builds and work have intervened, but it is still high on my list and the partially completed version is on the shelf above my desk. It will be my first 1/200 paper ship if and when.

If I ever figure out how to recolor and make modifications, I'd like to build a PCE (subchaser) version -- same hull and superstructure, no minesweeping gear, heavier armament -- as a Republic of Korea Navy ship. A couple of the PCEs played key rolls early in the Korean War and I cover some of these activities in my current book (the revised manuscript of which is due to the editor the day after tomorrow -- as Troll used to say, "Tick Tock").

I look forward to seeing your 1/100 scale version take shape. You have the proven ability to make it into a fine model.

Don
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

I was a little leary about the blue color, but my wife likes it. I was going to print in "black ink only" in order to get a gray version but I forgot and walked away from the printer and it printed all the pages out, oh well.

I use Rhino and I thought about importing the images then tracing out the parts and recoloring them. It is extremely laborious but I have done it before. I did it with the Lotus Europa model and redid the dash , the wheels and lettering. I was able to change the colors easily as once you "group" the parts the properties apply to all in that group. The model is about 4 years old and has endured well as my son plays with it often I am envious of the knowledge you have (in a good way) I really like reading your posts, you classes must have been a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy's Admirable-img_1883.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 132.67 MB
Hi Don; good luck with your future book y hope you realize a nice dream (the edition) and share with us your joy.

Zathros, Admirable class is a very extended one trough the world s navies. This free version model is quite nice and I think good in size and general shape, abouth the blue color, U.S. Ships often used a very bluish grey in the camouflage schemes (is possible not so intense as your model), but if you like totally grey... is OK. at least is a different version. isnīt it?
Saludazos amigo and best regards for all the other members.

Last edited by papiro; 03-26-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Banned

#157 of the Admirable class minesweepers is listed as the U.S.S. Caravan. So this model is the U.S.S. Caravan.

NavyThe US NavyTypeMinesweeperClassAdmirable PennantAM 157 Built byWillamette Iron and Steel Corp. (Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.) Ordered Laid down16 May, 1942 Launched27 Oct, 1942 Commissioned21 Jan, 1944 End service16 Aug, 1945 Loss position
HistoryDecommissioned 16 August 1945 at Cold Bay, Alaska and transferred to the USSR being renamed T-597. http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5275.html

A great website with a lot of reference material.
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 132.67 MB
Model + information = best model
Thanks for the good link Zathros.
Saludazos
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

I got a little further along. i would not recommend enlarging this ship as it has no internal structures and needs a lot of bracing fabricated. I think it is a little too blue but this could probably be adjusted before with a test print and a temporary color adjustment to the printer. It is a nice looking ship though and though I was going to stop I have chosen to continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy's Admirable-img_1927.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Bitty parts

Some guns, deck boxes, bitty parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy's Admirable-img_1929.jpg  
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 AM

Busy with the Admirable at 1/200, but your upscaling is looking extremely interesting!.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Loopy, post some pics!! Post them here or start a new thread.
Google Adsense