PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Now that is a clever solution to being able to play a fantasy game across the decks of a ship and all through the various levels. Not to mention you get to build it all up and create your own individual look by altering sections however you want. I am looking forward to seeing how you accomplish your vessel as it works itself out.

It will definitely "WOW" your fellow game players out the first time you spring it on them.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
I picked that beaut up for $4 along with the Canals set. I've started on her, only the forecastle and masts really remain, but I've a progress thread as well, if you are interested. The cost of the ink is really holding me back at the moment.

World Works Games: The Maiden

Tirick
Old 01-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Tirick,
Very cool! I went to your thread and made a couple of comments that I hope will be helpful. I like your "window sandwich" idea and I think that's how I'm going to do things as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Continuing the build

Had some free time last night so I continued with the build.

Forward Hull Sections

These went together pretty smoothly overall.

Forward Section Bulkhead

I debated doors open vs doors closed for quite a while <grin>.

Forward Section Assembly

It seemed to go together pretty smoothly but the top sections didn't want to stay put so I finally hot-glued them for extra strength.

Sides

The sides including the cannon doors and the "ratline ledges"

A "Full" Hull

The full hull assembled, now to add in the internal supports.

"Standing" inside the hull (before the supports were added)

And after adding the supports to the walls.

Test Fitting the Upper Deck Parts

Unfortunately some issues started to show up at this point.

Problem

MASSIVE gaps in the front between the hull and the bow deck plate. I'm not sure how to address this yet but steam may be involved. Everything else fit "close enough" for something that will be a usable gaming prop.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM

BTW, I'm open to suggestions because I don't really know what to do to close that gap in the superstructure.
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Yeah... I had that in spades.

I undercut the foamboard slightly, to the general shape of the outer hull, and slowly and carefully fit the 'fore' section into the hull. I started by butting it up against the bulkhead and pressing equally on each side (right near the bulkhead)smoothing the cardstock forward. In the end I also cut the bow edge at the top, maybe 1/4" down to make some room. It fits but only barely. I kept at it though, and the paper is rigid enough to retain the shape once formed. I should note that the fore section should be level and on the same 'plane' as the rest of the decking.

Tirick
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I should note that the fore section should be level and on the same 'plane' as the rest of the decking.
I guessed that....I guess I have some "forming" to do now. Now where is that scunci steamer of mine?!?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Progress continues...

The Hold

This part is essentially finished. There are some "ladders" to put in place and then some optional bulkheads that can be put in but the bulkheads are all movable/removable to give the ship whatever type of hold you want it to have. The supports along the sides hold the upper deck in place and the square blocks in the center are what hold the masts when they are inserted.

"Standing" in the hold.

"Standing" in the hold near the stern looking towards the bow.

Sterncastle Parts

The railings really slowed me down and this was the point at which I kept catching myself trying to rush and then forcing myself to quit and come back later. As with all of the other parts, the windows have been cut out and covered with transparency prints.

Sterncastle interior (aka the Captain's Cabin) nearly finished

More windows...a LOT more windows, but it looks great now that it's finished!

"Standing" at the entrance to the Captain's Cabin

Essentially a view from just inside the doorway (or where the doorway will be when I finish it <grin>). I am REALLY pleased with all of those windows!

Finished Sterncastle in place

This is the essentially finished Sterncastle sitting on top of the hull where it belongs. The "wheel deck" sits on top of all of this and can be seen in later photos.

Forecastle Assembly

Unfortunately I accidentally erased some of the construction photos, but here's the forecastle fully assembled with the upper deck in place. More railings and more windows but I'm pleased with the outcome overall.

Bowspirit and final forecastle assembly

I thought this ship was long enough before...the bowspirit makes it a little...unwieldy <sigh>

Completed Hull with all decks in place.

I still have a LOT of work to do with the masts, sails, simulated rigging, and all of the internal details (bulkheads, hammocks, furnishings, cannon, etc) but it's really coming together and I'm loving the way it looks.

I have tried to put a lot of fine work in to this point, careful cutting and scoring and doing all the "white edges" in marker and I think it has made a lot of difference overall. There are still gaps and flaws showing all over the place when you look at it closely but this is supposed to be a "gaming prop" that will get used and abused over time so I'm not looking for absolute perfection here <GRIN>
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Mr. Hawley,
This is a grand looking piece of work and the variety of wood tones sets this one apart. Along with the wonderful camera work, it is a real pleasure to look at.
Mike
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

More updates...so close to finished I can taste it!

The Escutcheon
As mentioned before, this entire project was in memory of a good friend and fellow "gamer".

Below decks with "cargo cubes"
I also plan on mounting one or two "bulkheads" but haven't gotten there yet.

Bunks and footlockers
Just a small sample of the "furnishings" included with this kit.

Captain and his charts
More "furnishings" and a figurine for scale

Prepare to repel borders!
The "crew" on deck and ready for action <grin>.

A crewman up the mast
(the masts were a PAIN to assemble!)

Nearly Complete and shipshape and Bristol Fashion!
Some more rigging, sails, and fine details and she'll finally be finished!

Last edited by Mr. Hawley; 02-01-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Google Adsense

Tags
game, maiden, ship, worldworks