PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The Maiden of the High Seas

WorldWorks Games has produced a number of pretty neat paper models that have the additional function of being props/playing surfaces for various role-playing games.

These models are designed with both an exterior AND an interior and usually more than one level involved. In many ways the models are greatly simplified (for ease of build) rendering them somewhat unrealistic and yet I find them fascinatingly detailed inside and out.

For my grand return to paper modeling I decided to do the "Maiden of the High Seas" model (found here on the WorldWorks page, cost $16). The instant I stumbled on this I knew that someday I'd have to build it and that time has finally come!

The Workspace

The Base

A 12 tile base mounted on foamcore and airbrushed with multiple coats of Future polish to help with durability.

The Upper Decking

These four sections represent the top deck. They total about three feet long. They are all mounted on foamcore and will all be removable to provide access to the lower deck (for gaming) once the model is complete. The large "vent holes" in the center were cut out and a grid was printed on transparency paper to simulate a vent.

The Bottom Deck

The Bottom Deck is also mounted on foamcore (for durability) and represents one piece.

The Forecastle and Sterncastle decks

As with the rest of the upper decks, I cut out the vent holes and covered them with transparency printouts to simulate the vent grids on a sailing ship. I also cut out the side windows in the wheelhouse and installed transparency "windows".

Everything so far

This is as much as I've completed to this point.

The next stage

Next is the sides of the hull, I'll post more as it's finished.
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

That a heckuva lot of boat for $16.00 dollars. There are websites that just give you a .pdf for that price. Nice find, and you can play with it too! How can you beat that?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Cool - the model has very nice textures. The improvements you are making really add to the model.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
"Grand Return" indeed! Huge and beautifully rendered. This is really gonna be something when finished. I had never heard of this company/site before. I'll be watching this one with interest.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.96 MB
As will I! The textures on all the models at that site are GORGEOUS! I've been thinking of laying down the cash for the lightning gun and the Maiden. I thinking watching this build will convince me. Btw does anyone know a source for this black foamcore stuff in the UK?
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Wow. Great details and texture, Sir. I'm hoping to see the finished work soon.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Wow!

As Zathros said. That is one heck of a find for the price. Really looking forward to seeing this completed. Thanks for sharing this nice model with us.

Cheers
Jim
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 AM

To avoid confusion, for $16 you get a .PDF file (actually a bunch of .PDF files), I had to provide all the materials and printing and foamcore and mounting spray and so forth.

The great thing (from my perspective) is that most of the aspects of this model are "simplified" in one form or another. Hexagonal masts rather than round, simulated rigging that is printed on transparencies to give you an "impression" of rigging, and so forth, in short it's kind of a "minimalist impression" of a sailing vessel.

But with the clever construction and the awesome textures the eye tends to "fill in the blank" and the overall result is just way cool! Plus it's complex enough to challenge my skill level (for example I had to re-print and cut out the ship's wheel THREE times before I got it right), but not so bad that I quit in frustration. That's a compromise I really need right now <grin>.

Oh and when it's finished and my friends come over to game and I plop this on the table their heads will explode in amazement <evil laugh>!

(Side note...printing this monster killed a new color cartridge. I have GOT to get a continuous ink system or something!)

Last edited by Mr. Hawley; 12-31-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looking forward to seeing this monster come together!

Wyvern
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I sense a terrific project taking shape here. Definately worth watching.
Those are beautiful colors and patterns in the wood planking.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Google Adsense

Tags
game, maiden, ship, worldworks