PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
U.s.s. Ward dd 139

Ahoy
I ma back at it again for a action packed year of model builds i am all fired up ready to go. No time for a model sabbatical this will never happen with old boats it was a long Rr rest and recreation. now it is time for buisness, I just finished repairing a liberty ship for a client of mine i built this 7 years ago he broke the display case moveing it for the carpet cleaners the glass came down and busted up the whole model 5 ton booms and all the rigging it was a mess now it restored back to the condition it was in when i sold it to him I will attach the picture next to this build.

U.S.S. WARD DD 139

Ok this ship needs no introduction she is the first ship that fired a a shot in the beginning of the second world war. this is a build I have almost finished needs the rigging and i will have this done tonight for ghe finished pictures, the model was built useing Edward wiswessor plans in the scale of 1/192 20 inch,s long built useing cardstock and some wood mostly paper i made it a waterline model haveing her in her elemnets the mighty sea. with her 3 inch open gun mount fireing starboard at the jap midget sub on the next pictures i will have the sub next to her being fired on i havent installed it yet. the paint measure is 5d dark gray with light pale gray uper surfaces after Pearl she was repanted pertaining to opperation rainbow 5 color coded war plans in the measure of 5s sea blue that resembled the color of non spectuclar blue, here are the pix/
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0009.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0010.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0012.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0013.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0014.jpg  

U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0015.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0016.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-pict0017.jpg   U.s.s. Ward dd 139-patrick_henry.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Boats,thank you for posting this. The story of the Ward at Pearl Harbor has interested me for a long time as the crew were mostly naval reservists from Minnesota. Here's the story of the 4" gun from the Ward which is displayed on the state capital mall here in St. Paul MN.
http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conserv...s/ward_gun.pdf
Wayne
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
As yet another Minnesotan that is intrigued with the USS Ward I would like to chime in. The gun mount from the Ward that sits on the Minnesota State Capitol grounds was removed and preserved when the Ward was converted to a fast troop transport.

By coincidence, She was sunk on December 7, 1944 when a crashing Betty bomber passed through her hull and started uncontrollable fires. Read the fascinating history of this gallant ship here: DANFS: USS Ward (APD-16)

My eyes well up with pride whenever I pass that 4" gun mount - and that is a frequent occurrence for me. I met the gun crew at an airshow some years ago.

Boats, I would like to thank you for sharing your build! I think that you did a fantastic job!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Attention the Skipper is back on deck - great to see you back Grandad with some more splendid models - Great restoration on that beauty
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim G View Post
As yet another Minnesotan that is intrigued with the USS Ward I would like to chime in. The gun mount from the Ward that sits on the Minnesota State Capitol grounds was removed and preserved when the Ward was converted to a fast troop transport.

By coincidence, She was sunk on December 7, 1944 when a crashing Betty bomber passed through her hull and started uncontrollable fires. Read the fascinating history of this gallant ship here: DANFS: USS Ward (APD-16)

My eyes well up with pride whenever I pass that 4" gun mount - and that is a frequent occurrence for me. I met the gun crew at an airshow some years ago.

Boats, I would like to thank you for sharing your build! I think that you did a fantastic job!

Jim
your most welcome shipmate I believe this is the first four piper that has been posted on this here thread. the story of the ward has always stired contrtevery over where ever or not she did fired the first shot. this was confirmed when one of the crew members went down below 1200 ft to the sea floor to explore the last midget sub found and confirmed. there was a 4 inch hole on the starboard side of the sail or conning tower very very good footage of the expedition. Dr, John ballard tried to find the missing sub that the Ward sunk, but never acheived success. later they said he was to close to the channel entrance, he didn,t go out far enough. durring the war she was converted to a high speed transport, i am honered to post this byuild i am not finished with her yet i will post the finish build this evening all is left is the rigging and I am on it as of now. Thank you again I am honered.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boats,
Good to see you returning from your sabbatical. Good job
on the Ward....Ron
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks great, your a ship man I am sure you know of John King who USS John King (DDG-3) is named after who won two Congressional Medals of Honour. well do you know if there is any card model kit of that ship? Are if there is any plans so i could try and do a scratch build?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
Looks great, your a ship man I am sure you know of John King who USS John King (DDG-3) is named after who won two Congressional Medals of Honour. well do you know if there is any card model kit of that ship? Are if there is any plans so i could try and do a scratch build?
She's a nice vessel for sure
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Ron grandson Peter and all

thank you for your welcomeing me back to the forum good to be back, also thank you for your reply on my four piper destroyer WARD, I will have this done by tonight and shoot some better pix. after this i will catch up with my AD6 Skyraider build and get her done then I am a free man to go to something else. thanks shipmates
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post

Doctor Max
thank you for your reply as to the DDG U.S.S. KING I am not certain if there is a card model of this vessel out thewre there prablay is, but I am in doubt. If you need plans to scratch build one of these into card plastic or wood, go to the floating drydock website www.floatingdrydock.com They can help you on this I get a lot of model plans from them . you can check with the papermodel store also they might have it.