PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
@John Wagenseil: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by flat spots between hull formers on the lower hull. Could you elaborate?

As for transferring the plans to the cardboard, I print the plans on plain printer paper and glue them to the cardboard using UHU Stic. If you use very small amounts of glue, then the paper will easily come off after cutting, without damaging the cardboard (but I guess you could also leave it on). I find this method much more precise then transferring the plans using carbon paper.

Since I mentioned UHU Stic, I should also mention other types of glue I use - UHU Super and UHU Flex&Clean. For example, I used UHU Flex&Clean to glue the frames, and I used UHU Super to glue the plating. I mostly use UHU Super for all other purposes (my favorite glue ).

HMS Hunter (1797)-glue_assortment.jpg

For frames I use 2mm cardboard, which is rigid enough and yet not too hard to cut. For plating, I use plain old card I find on cereal boxes, barilla pasta packaging, and stuff like that
It's thin enough so you can bend it easily, but not too thin.

For sanding, I use a nail file (stole it from my wife ), and a mini grinder similar to the one in the picture below. And to answer your question, yes, I was worried a bit
If you use sand paper, maybe it would help using a finer grain size?

HMS Hunter (1797)-mini_grinder.jpg

BTW, here are some pictures of the stand:

HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_018.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_019.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_020.jpg
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Greetings

What I meant by not having flat spots is that your hull looks smooth.
In wood ship model forums they talk about "plank on bulkhead" models that have a "starved cow" look. The ribs stick out, and have flat or depressed places between them. That happens when the wood planking is too stiff and does not take curves.
The package card you use to cover the hull seems to avoid that problem, you know how to shape it and it it has the right amount of flex.

I tried using coarse sand paper which removes a lot of paper but tears up the surface, the fine sand paper I tried did not do much.

Thanks.

(Like a lot of others in my part of the world I am being cautious and filled the pantry and got a couple of movies in the event that the ice storm predictions turn out to be accurate. Drat, the last couple of days were almost nice. Could be worse, if I lived in the UpperPenninsula, spring would not arrive until mid July, and summer (mosquito season) would be over by the end of August.)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM

The deck was cut from 1mm cardboard, and to make it more realistic (same as I did on my bracera), I cut a bunch of card strips measuring 2.5x60mm (thin card) and glued them one by one to the deck, to form a deck planking pattern.

Time consuming and tedious work, but I think the end result is well worth it.

HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_021.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_022.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_023.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_024.jpg

Before gluing the deck to the frames, I did some preparation - first I made a box-slot of sorts, to hold the mainmast in place (otherwise it would flip-flop around), and I glued paper strips on the inner side of upper hull plating - this is suppose to hold the deck plating in place.

HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_025.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_026.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_027.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_028.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_029.jpg

Next, I need to plank the whole thing...
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am so enjoying this thread. The deck planking looked just wonderful and is just enough to make it look proto-typical.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 AM

I'm back, with a new update

Did some work this weekend - I cut two false keels (and a rudder) from 2mm cardboard, which I will later glue together to form a 4mm thich one.
Also, planking is halfway done... it's not perfect, but it will do. When I finish the other half, I will lightly sand the entire hull.

Here are the pictures:

HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_030.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_031.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_032.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_033.jpg

Now, onto the other half of the hull
Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.23 MB
wow, that looks great Krivukov, I love the planting on the hull.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 AM

The other half of the hull is done, and I installed the keel.
Now it's finally starting to resemble a real ship

Next is painting, and then I'll work on the deck furniture.

Here are the pictures:

HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_034.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_035.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_036.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_037.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_038.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_039.jpg

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks very nice, beautiful shape of the hull!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:43 AM

Thank you Doris, I am honored
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Here's the latest progress - basic color scheme is up, but still needs detailing, especially on the stern.
I think the deck looks pretty nice, don't you?
Speaking of the deck, you may have noticed I widened the gap between the deck house (moved a bit to the fore of the ship) and the companionway (shortened and moved a bit aft). This was done to accommodate the water pumps.

Here are the pictures:

HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_040.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_041.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_042.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_043.jpg HMS Hunter (1797)-hms_hunter_044.jpg