PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Atlantic Jamaican from Kartonowa Flota in 1/600 scale

Hi, Everyone!

It's been a while since I did a thread, work being the bear that it has been (and continues to be), but I did have a chance to do a bit of relaxing modeling the last two weekends so I thought I'd build a ship I have been meaning to build for a while. It's an interesting merchant ship of the container ship ATLANTIC JAMAICAN produced by Kartonowa Flota. It features an interesting shipboard container crane and a ro-ro ramp at the stern, both of which allow the original to handle containerized cargo without the need for shore side container cranes. I imagine the stevedores drive a container chassis up the ramp and the shipborne crane deposits the container onto the chassis, and then the loaded chassis is driven off the vessel...I could be wrong, but that seems to be the discharge procedure using this setup.

In any event, the original model comes in 1/300 scale but I scanned the sheets and reduced them to my usual scale of 1/600. Luckily many of the build steps don't involve parts that when reduced are impossible to work with, save for the stanchions used for the forward container stow brackets, so it wasn't too difficult to work on at this scale. I was so happy to get the few free hours to build this model I didn't take the usual set of construction photos until today, so I apologize for the apparent jump ahead to an almost completed model.

Thus far the hull is just about complete, missing only a few deck items such as the anchor windlass, the life boats and the mooring bitts. Still trying to work out how to do the mooring bits at this scale, but that sort of challenge provides a bit of the fun I find in building paper models. The shipborne crane also needs to be completed, adding the spreader bar part which is lowered by the crane onto the top of the containers to handle them.

Anyway, here are some photos showing her almost completed state. I anyone has any questions about this build, just let me know. Here's an overall view to start.

Here's a view showing a closer view of the partially completed shipborne crane.

This end on view shows a bit of the flare of the bow I mentioned.

This view shows the forward container stowage locations; a few containers (I gather about four) will fit on the athwartship supports.

I had a bit of difficulty in joining up the hull sides as the designer split the bow section into three parts, something which seemed a bit odd given the shape but I suppose there was a reason. It did make putting the parts together seamlessly impossible, but I did what I could using a bit of backing paper to hold the sections together and tried as best I could to eliminate the seam. It does seem to have a rather extreme flare in the end but, given the shape of the interior formers that seems to be the original design.

And here's a final view showing the after house area with a view of the ro-ro ramp.

I hope to get some time during the week to finish up the container crane, install the anchor windlass and perhaps some of the mooring bits...then it's on to the containers!

Well, thanks for stopping by to take a look.

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
You're Back!

Hi Jim,

I've been wondering where you've been. By the looks of it you're building models with names of places you'd rather be..., in "squint scale" no less!

+Gil
Old 06-23-2008, 04:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice model of an interesting ship. Very fine work in that very small scale!

Don
Old 06-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Container ship

Wotcher Jim

Good to see you back for a little while again and with yet another miniscule masterpiece to see. Got to try one of these one day. I look forwars to the next batch of pics old mate.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:50 AM

Well worth waiting for!

Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM

That's very nice, thanks for sharing! I like container ships.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Looking good, Jim ! Interesting choice of scale, are you modeling at 1/600 in the interest of saving shelf space for more future builds ?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Thank you, everyone!

I'm glad you stopped by to take a look at my latest project. It's slow going, though, as I can't dedicate but a few hours every so often to work on her these days.

Thanks, bazzer! Here's a few more update photos, which I hope you'll like, mate.

Gil, thanks for the kind words, mate. I've just been so darn busy at work these last few months it was driving me crazy not to take a break and cut and glue some paper! Luckily I have had a chance to work on this one lately...it is really is a wonderful diversion from the grind at work!

Steve, I started reducing my ship models to 1/600 for a few reasons. Space is one but it's more that I like working at this smaller scale. It's a bit of a challenge, but that's part of the fun I have building them this size.

I love container ships myself, redhorse, but there are surprisingly few models available of this genre of ship. I plan on building the JSC Mary Artica container ship soon as well and reducing it again to a common scale will provide a nice comparison of the two ships, I think. I've got a few other projects in mind, but I really want to finish up on my Constitution which as been sitting idle on the shipways for too long.

Anyway, I was able to spend a few hours over the last week or so building up the containers that go on her deck. Afterall, that's the whole purpose of this ship, to carry containers from port to port! I just finished up the last tonight and decided to put them on the deck just to see how they look. Unlike the JSC Mary Artica kit, and the freebie NYK line ship, this design requires you to build each separate container...after a while it becomes a bit of an assembly line, but there are about 46 or so containers to be built...and it still doesn't give you a full load! I might have to print off another sheet to give her a full load...I would hope business is going well enough to give her a full cargo!

Well, here's what it looks like with the containers just placed on deck, not glued in place yet.

I still have to finish the anchor windlass and life boats, and I'm thinking about rigging up a few railings for the forecastle after deck and the bridge deck to add a bit more interest to those two areas that now look a bit bare. I have to add the flagstaff as well, but I'll wait until the end because my sausage fingers tend to snap those things off when I handle the model while working. I also am trying to figure out whether I should add a bit of container lashings, but this ship carries containers only two tiers high, and many ships doing that use locking twist ties which, only two tiers high, doesn't need lashings. I didn't find a photo of the actual ship so I can't tell whether they used lashings in normal practice or not.

Here's another view with the containers on deck.

I figure I'll also put together some sort of seaway base to finish it up...after all, it's a waterline model so it should by all rights be sitting in the sea.

Here's one last shot for tonight, showing her sailing off for her next port of call.

Thanks again for stopping by and taking a look. If any one has any questions, comments, criticism, please don't hesitate to post them.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a very good-looking model of an interesting ship, Jim.

These self-loading/Ro-ro ships are really fascinating. I suppose you have seen this photo of the Atlantic Jamaican? http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...maican-01.html

Although I most like pre-1950 merchant ships, anything that floats on the sea is of interest to me and I see a lot of container ships, as well as bulk carriers, and crude carriers steaming up the Delaware when we stay at Cape May.

I hope that you will be able to find time to build and share photos of more 1/600 ships.

Don
Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks JIm I hope we are lucky enough for you to have another few hours to spare soon.

bazzer
Google Adsense