PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Venetian Gondola

A friend of mine came back from a vacation in Italy and upon his return, he showed me some photos of the Venice canals and the Gondolas. He asked me if I was able to construct one and of course I said I would try. I thought that it would be easy to get info on the Gondola but it is scarce to my surprise. I gathered enough info and with some low resolutions plans, I started on the project. I used some wood spars to open the deck area and made some ribs out of laminated paper strips. The floor under the red rug is made of boards made from heavy card stock. The oar control column is made from a carved piece of wood. The seat cushions are made from foam and the dimples are made with a toothpick pushed in to depress the dimple point. After the dimples are made, I went over them with a touch of dark red to accentuate the depression. I made two types of oars, one from a metal rod flattened at the wide end and another from a long swab stick thinned at the end and wrapped a paper strip and formed the wide part of the oar.

The display stand has wooden trim around a foam core board. the boat rests on a strip of foam and the floor is made from a prismatic cardboard sheet which I also used as a background in some of the photos. The details are hand drawn with a metallic pen and the foot area of the gondolier is from a strip of aluminum foil with dimples on it. The rear scroll ornament is made form a paper clip flattened but a strip of flat brass would have done as well.

I usually make a build thread but in this case I did not but there are a couple more Gondolas in the making as well as fishing vessels of Venice, of which I may do a build thread on. As for plans, that will be up in the air. Gondolas have artistic license and each one is different from each other.

I hope that you enjoy the build and see you around the forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Venetian Gondola-imag0001.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0002.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0003.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0004.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0005.jpg  

Venetian Gondola-imag0006.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0007.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0008.jpg   Venetian Gondola-imag0009.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's a beautiful little model. I'd love to see more of that type.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Eternal Member

The Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
That's a beautiful little model. I'd love to see more of that type.

I have a covered passenger gondola and a two gondolier version in the back burner. I rather enjoyed building this little fellow and it is about 1/32 scale. I have been considering doing a larger version about 1/16 scale. But that is for another time. Glad you like the build, enjoy and see you around the forums.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Wow, that really is nice. Artistic license, after seeing your Buggy and the "plans" afterwards, Artistic license might be read as Artistic ability. The way you grab something out of the air and then make it is ,well, incredible.

I was at tractor Supply and when I saw the collection of collectible horses they had there, your buggy came right into mind.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Very nice little project.

I have to go to the Venetian Hotel and wander through their canal area every day where they have full sized gondolas for the tourists to take a ride in. Quite similar to your model in layout. Theirs are all polished wood pretty much though with red velvet seating and trim.
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Eternal Member

The Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Very nice little project.

I have to go to the Venetian Hotel and wander through their canal area every day where they have full sized gondolas for the tourists to take a ride in. Quite similar to your model in layout. Theirs are all polished wood pretty much though with red velvet seating and trim.

This was originally painted gloss black but it looked too glaring, so I toned the color down to a satin sheen. The seating is basic but I am going to try making some cushions out of sculpy. The clay can be formed to represent the fringe edging, and a mold made. I also plan in making some seats for the center as well, but that is for another thread in the future.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Very well done! I was in Italy three years back but the gondola rides in Venice were around $75 per person if I remember correctly. I wanted to visit the Naval museum but kept missing the visiting hours. I was hoping that there was a replica of the Doge's barge to photograph. It would make a great scratchbuild.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This is a fine and lovely piece of work. It has a very artistic look.
If you make more variations of this, I plan to be in the audience.
Mike
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Wonderful original work, beautiful displayed!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Wow, that really is nice. Artistic license, after seeing your Buggy and the "plans" afterwards, Artistic license might be read as Artistic ability. The way you grab something out of the air and then make it is ,well, incredible.

I was at tractor Supply and when I saw the collection of collectible horses they had there, your buggy came right into mind.
Thanks for the compliment Zathros, There are many models that I would like to build but I look at the compound curves and complexity and view them in my mind as to how to manage the curvatures. In this model I had to force the paper to take the curve/concave shape at the bow and the stern. There was a kink at the bow and I was worried that the shaping would have banana the structure. I sanded the kink and placed some spackling compound to cover the small holes and shaped it out. Trying to keep the keel in line was one of my worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
Very well done! I was in Italy three years backbut the gondola rides in Venice were around $75 per person if I remember correctly. I wanted to visit the Naval museum but kept missing the visiting hours. I was hoping that there was a replica of the Doge's barge to photograph. It would make a great scratchbuild.
It is remarkable how prices have gone up. I remember when I took a ride in the Gondolas in 1969, the price then was about $10.00 and I thought that was expensive then, but then I was making around 300.00 a month. It is the same as NY, I also remember when the buggy rides were around 15.00 as well around Central Park and lasted longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
This is a fine and lovely piece of work. It has a very artistic look.
If you make more variations of this, I plan to be in the audience.
Mike
Like my horse drawn series, There are a few more in the works and they are not as complicated as my coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatcrow2 View Post
Wonderful original work, beautiful displayed!!!
Thanks, I am glad that you like the little fella.
Google Adsense