PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
U.s.s. California bb43 1941

Ahoy
in between breathers of my beta build I can catch up on some of my finish up projects that were left in limbo. i went down in the boson locker smokeing my cigar, I wondered what was in that box I opened it up. wel another one i got to finish. not much to finish up on this one. This what i can remember is a scratch build 99 and 9 tenths card model of the Battleship U.S.S. CALIFORNIA BB43 Pearl Harbor 1941 in the scale of 1/16 equals one foot scale 40 inch,s long. I made her a waterline model in display at Pearl Harbor, with her mooreing quays and and a harbor seascape. I built her from edward weswesser paln in the 1/16th scale plan. she is wearing the measure of 5d Dark gray with light pale gray upper surfaces, I have a few things that need to be constructed on her before she gets weighed down at Pearl. Ok you 1/200 scale airplane builders I built this OS2U Kingfisher from scrach I carved it from wood, this is the only small airplane I have. After I build my B-17 letting dry I can work on this and go back to my beta build ,I made the cage mast from wire that i weeved useing a jig. here are some pictures of her.
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0001.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0002.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0003.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0004.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0005.jpg  

U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0006.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0008.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0009.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0011.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0012.jpg  

U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0016.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0017.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Very nice. The cage masts must have been terribly difficult.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Very nice. The cage masts must have been terribly difficult.

Ahoy PAPER FAN
Thanks for your reply the mast toof a couple days to do i had to build a jig and do the weeving.the ship is very dirty needs a spring cleaning. needs a lot of ships work touch up painting here and there and few parts need to be adjusted and redone a lot more work then i surmised. but old boats will knick it out, these models keep me busy always something to do. thanks again.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. California bb43 1941-78-44.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-popeye2.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-popeye-590x442.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice. I'm just curious. It is a very impressive model. You certainly are a prolific builder of ship models. Have you ever seriously been into other types of models? Not that I think you should be distracted from what you are interested in and are obviously an expert in.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Concratulation

Hello Deckape,

Congratulation to this beautiful model.
As there are only a few models of this period of time, it is good to see that there are some modelers doing a good scratch built.
The american warships but especially the battleships were of a certain elegance. The Bow, which was later copied by German naval engineers, the cage masts especially.
I really wonder, why there are so few models of that period. On the other hand there are quite a lot of models available of warships at the end of the war, when most warships looked like hedgehogs with all calibers of anti aircraft guns.

I have just one question, how did you model the cage masts, could you please explain it?
It would be really interested!

Once More, a really beautiful model

My Congratulation

The Oldenburger
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S. View Post
Very nice. I'm just curious. It is a very impressive model. You certainly are a prolific builder of ship models. Have you ever seriously been into other types of models? Not that I think you should be distracted from what you are interested in and are obviously an expert in.

Greg
I build RC mnodels too. I have a pretty good collection of radio control model planes and ships. I will attach a couple ship models. I habe atleast 60 more examples out in the spring house in back of my house. here is a very small sample what i have here in my computor den or mancave. It could be even the crowsnest.
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0001.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0002.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0003.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0004.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0005.jpg  

U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0006.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0007.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0008.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0009.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0010.jpg  

U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0011.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0012.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0013.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0014.jpg   U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0015.jpg  

U.s.s. California bb43 1941-pict0016.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 AM

Deckape,

I am blown away with all your models built over the years. From what I can see, the workmanship is excellent. You must be obsessed even more than the rest of us with ship models. There are so many of them and some are quite large, apparently. Interesting stuff.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Love the Tugboat San Pedro! I think we're going to have to call you Admiral Deckape with the fleet you sportin.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Love the Tugboat San Pedro! I think we're going to have to call you Admiral Deckape with the fleet you sportin.
Totally agree Zath

ADMIRAL DECKAPE

Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenburger67 View Post
Hello Deckape,

Congratulation to this beautiful model.
As there are only a few models of this period of time, it is good to see that there are some modelers doing a good scratch built.
The american warships but especially the battleships were of a certain elegance. The Bow, which was later copied by German naval engineers, the cage masts especially.
I really wonder, why there are so few models of that period. On the other hand there are quite a lot of models available of warships at the end of the war, when most warships looked like hedgehogs with all calibers of anti aircraft guns.

I have just one question, how did you model the cage masts, could you please explain it?
It would be really interested!

Once More, a really beautiful model

My Congratulation

The Oldenburger
Oldenburger
Thank you sir, i can answer your questions with absoloute honesty. The reason why hobby maufactures and modlers alike dont model the Battleships of this type and period is that the entrest, and demand. most modlers who like modeling this type of Battleship are from my generation who were born before the second world war, who were raised with the navy of the past in to the future. the only battleship model of this period that most young modlers like to model is the old Arizona, reasons that the she is a memorial At Pearl Harbor and some historian dug up some new dope on the color measure the Arizona wore at Pearl Harbor, Another kit By a Chinese company Trumpeter I think reproduced a 1/200 scale kit everyone is modeling and makeing a RC job out of it, sporting the new measure of 5s all Seablue with light gray fire controll stations. The Arizona has always been a popular model by far by all ages, But in modeling the Colorado,New Mexico,California class Battlewaggons there were no demand for it. I am a old old school modler I enjoy building models of this era. I was raised with ships like this and the aircraft of the second world war. I be 71 years old in 4 months my age will tell you what kind of a world I use to live in.

As to the cage mast they were made from brass wire and soldered, maikeing a jig is very important the fire controll station mast or cage mast were weeved and bolted. makeing a jig by a sewries og disc which were fire control staion platforms they had a ladder way from the weather deck up to the fire controll house tops. a very very time consumeing job to weeve these like the real thing. I have a 10ft U.S.S. MARYLAND BB46 1941 out in the springhouse next to my 10ft U.S.S. MISSOURI BB63 all radio controlled models they require a boat trailer to transport them,

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. California bb43 1941-popeye-590x442.jpg