PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Steam Tug Anglia Working Model

TAPCO built the Walden Models Cleopatra's Needle Barge recently and I commented on that thread that I was going to build a working model of the famous Watkin's steam tug Anglia which towed the obelisk to London in 1878.

1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge

And build it in paper!

Well I reached a milestone today and it's time to show and tell.

A plan and basic instructions are presented in G. H. Deason's book Simple Cardboard Models (MAP 1969) AKA Cardboard Engineering with Scissors and Paste from 1958.

The technique is initially intimidating but ultimately not that difficult:

1. Make a plug mould. I used blue foam off a building site; acquired on a windy day when it was a nuisance to the workmen and freely given. 6mm depron foam was used for the parallel portion in the centre of the hull and all was glued together with UHU POR foam glue. Carving was a skill I thought I had lost but with construction lines and templates I got there.

2. Cover the mould and make the hull. The plug was wrapped in kitchen film/wrap and a layer of wet model aeroplane tissue laid over this (blue in this case). Then the hull popper was laid using gum-strip or parcel tape which is/was sold on rolls dry and the glue (gum) activated by immersion in water. The layers were laid along the hull then laid diagonal fashion to port followed by diagonal to starboard then straight again. Seven layers were applied in all allowing each layer to dry over night.

Card modelling experience was very valuable when cutting and fitting the stern and bow pieces which required a bit of finesse.

Once dry I built a "gizmo" out of thick card and marked waterline, datum and deck line around the trimmed hull then fitted the rudder keel piece and covered it too. Position for the paddle axles were also marked as all other setting out will be offset from this.

After sanding and sealing with Deluxe Material's Eze-Kote resin (three coats) then it was off to the bath to see if she would float or leak. The answer is yes and no.

For detailing the Walden model of the Anglia will be a useful aid. However, the next stage is to fit her out with electric power and radio control for the rudder.

And after all that the photos!

D

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-p1190903.jpg

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-p1190907.jpg

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-p1190908.jpg

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-p1190909.jpg

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-p1190911.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Finally! I've been waiting for this. Good start and should be an interesting journey. And since it is an working model it most definately must tow something, maybe a barge? ;-)

BR Tappi
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an exciting project! Paper modeling, 19th century steam, maritime history, and tugboats! A splendid combination.

And strips of parcel tape! Shades of D. H. Deason!

Best wishes for great success on this voyage.

Don
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
its good stuff that brown parcele tape have used it to make a corigated cardbord shark and a panio for the local carnival.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
D-H

Great to see Deason's technique in action. I was able to borrow the book through Inter-Library Loan several years back. Not too many left in circulation.
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks guys. Well lets see if i can finish it!

RMKS, a colleague spotted my copy in a charity shop and £1.80 later I had a used but serviceable book of great wisdom! Mine had an original pre-decimal price of 15/ (shillings) or £0.75 so I reckon its a bargain.

I should also relate that although I am still card modelling I am also finding my feet in radio controlled model ships, so far just sailing vessels but the Deason method just had to be tried with the option to build something wind powered based on the same technique.

Anglia's drive will be through belts and pulleys and the latest thinking on power is to use either a 6v electric motor from Meccano (Constructor Sets in the USA) which is not too costly or, employ two disposable electric toothbrush motors which are of unknown performance but slot car sized and free.

In both cases I was planning on gearing down through a pulley wheel(s) on a lay-shaft before driving the paddles via another belt and pulley. I do not want a speed tug. However, I will discuss this with my "boat people" before I glue anything in. I suspect there will be a clever electronic way to do the above but I doubt it would be as much FUN!

David
Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
What a fun project! That will be cool looking driving along. I made a RC sailboat quite a few years ago, and it is very relaxing to get it out and direct it about the water. It needed an amazing amount of keel weight to handle much breeze..now I've lowered it a bit and has the center of pull too far forward and in stronger breeze although it doesn't heel clear over so the rudder is ineffective, but noses in and fills up a bit with lakewater.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Paddle Wheels

Probably last work I'll do for a few days, just a mock up with the paddle wheels built per the Deason's article on a wire axle.

I thought plastic card or even litho-plate might look better and be rather more graceful. Also not sure how I can 100% waterproof other than submerge the entire paddle wheel in thin varnish?

David

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-anglia1.jpg

Steam Tug Anglia Working Model-anglia2.jpg
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.46 MB
very interesting project, I see Deason's method of waterproofing the paddlewheels was to use shellac,for years I have successfully used thinned polyester resin on card/paper hulls to achieve strength and waterproofing, I like your thoughts on using litho plate,it will make the wheels more scale like!I look foreward to your next build installment.
Cheers Col.
ps:my copy of the book cost 12/6 in 1958
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent paddle wheels!

I am so happy to see these techniques actually being applied.

Don
Google Adsense