PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking CSS Atlanta

Hi,

I have begun "ANOTHER" ironclad project the CSS Atlanta. I juz love building models and I will be starting the paper model as soon as I get the computer model finished. I believe I have developed a complete understanding of how to go from 6 view pic to finished paper model!

Anyway here is the first pic!

Sincerely,
Ironcladman
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Atlanta-css-atlanta-iso-01.jpg  

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Talking Color Update!

Hi,

Ok here is an update: I have put on some color and a smokestack, laid out some of the vents.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Atlanta-css-atlanta-iso-02.jpg   CSS Atlanta-css-atlanta-iso-03.jpg   CSS Atlanta-css-atlanta-iso-04.jpg  

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Talking Da Guns!

Hi,

Ok, update time.....I just love adding the guns, it gives you the feel like.....you just want to sail up the Potomac and bomb something!

I have a question for all the research buffs.....the gun shutters on the back two guns "seem" to be reversed from the plans in the picture of the CSS Atlanta in 1865 on the river. Is this correct?

And, there are no photos of the starboard side of the ship.....and I know the second gun is forward of the stack (the position that most people don't put it in, in all the models I have seen, but it is in the plan), so another question would be which way would the shutters go on the starboard side and what position would the gunport have been in?

Also, looking at the pic on the river, they have built a gunwall on the roof of the casemate for snipers and troops to hide behind, was that there when the ship was in battle before it's capture?

Let the research begin!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Atlanta-css-atlanta-iso-05.jpg  

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.25 MB
When you get this ready to build I'd like to get a copy of it. I've always liked the Atlanta. About your reversed gunport question could that be because of the reversed view aspect of early photography?

The Paperboy
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Talking Reversed Brain!

Hi,

I don't think so because the front gunport shutter is facing the correct way as the plans. I have noticed this alot on alot of models and drawings people have shutters reversed and other stuff, compared to what photos show. I don't think people are building scale models so it doesn't matter, but I have seen books and reference material that is just wrong in depiction, when clear photos show what parts actually looked like.....which it maybe juz me and a pet peeeevy of mine, I try to pay attention to details. The Photos, Paintings, Drawings, Plans, Descriptions, and Timelines should all match.

In the plans for the CSS Atlanta, you can see no gunwall on the top of the casemate, but in the 1865 pic there is a gunwall, so I am wondering was that an addition during build, during CSN service, or during USN service.....these are the questions that puzzle me.

I will be building it with out the gunwall since all the drawings and paintings don't show it, and I believe it was added by the north after it was captured.

Yes, you will get a copy, I always try to release 2 versions, a blank and colored one so people can build it their way. but I need todo a bit more research on the hull. This is the main problem why I haven't really started the paperwork on the models I have started because I want to get the computer model as "correct" as possible first, then unfold it, then paint,......well you know the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
When you get this ready to build I'd like to get a copy of it. I've always liked the Atlanta. About your reversed gunport question could that be because of the reversed view aspect of early photography?

The Paperboy

Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Smile

Cool! Me likee new models
Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Talking More Input!

Hi,

Hey I started work on the hull but realized I don't have any rib information.....does anyone know what ship the CSS Atlanta was built upon, or was this a ground up build, from the pics and drawing I have it looks like a raft on top of a hull of a ship.

Without anymore info I am juz gonna design my own hull.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Atlanta was build upon the cutdown hull of the iron hulled steamer Fingal. the knuckle was stairstepped up the the waterline and armored from there up. I'll try to find some good accurate pics for you.

Vernon
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Talking Step UP!

Hi,

I found a nice model on the net (museum quality 58" long would make a grrrrrrreat RC model) it looks like they have it right. But if you got some good pics post them. I think I have a picture in my mind now of how they did it.

Yep, the steamer Fingal is correct.....is there any plans of it any where, that would give us what we need to build the bottom of the hull. I have from the armor up nice, it is the transition between the hull and armor that was funky. Your right looks like they just whinged that part with fill in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
Atlanta was build upon the cutdown hull of the iron hulled steamer Fingal. the knuckle was stairstepped up to the waterline and armored from there up. I'll try to find some good accurate pics for you.

Vernon

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Talking More Hull!

Hi,

Here is a new pic I did some more on the hull.....the bottom is easy, the top is easy, that middle joint between the two.....priceless! But, I have no clue if it is right.....but I am gonna build it and find out!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Atlanta-css-atlanta-iso-06.jpg  

Google Adsense