PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I kind of remember that the class did have this of paint scheme over it at some point, but not sure about the exact colours though
Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've found a photo of Mutsuki which probably solves my problem. It was taken probably between 1938 (after the modernization in which different torpedo launchers were installed) and 1941 (when new painting was added).
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-mutsuki.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 AM

Update

Hi,

I'm still struggling with the hull because I decided to engrave the deck which takes me more time that I expected. And because all last week I was preparing my other model for the display which was conducted in the weekend I didn't have time to work on my Mutsuki.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3776.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3778.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3780.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3790.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3791.jpg  

IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3792.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 AM

Update

Hi,

I made few parts of the deck (on the aft and bow). I also engraved the deck. I deliberately made those parts before painting because I wanted to cover any visible remains of glue (if any) and I didn't want to use up the spray-paint during separate painting of each part.

I changed the depth-bomb launchers to more modern since I'm building the ship from 1938 and not 1926 as it is in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rimg_3804.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rimg_3807.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rimg_3808.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rimg_3809.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rimg_3810.jpg  

IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3815.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-rrimg_3818.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work on this famous destroyer.

With regard to the overall gray color, except for some wartime camouflage schemes, Japanese ships tended to be painted overall dark gray. Each naval shipyard had its own version of this color. Since Mutsuki was built at the Sasebo Naval Arsenal, it would have been painted in "Sasebo Grey," which is available from White Ensign models as number WEM-IJN01. There are a number of vendors who sell this paint, and I am sure that other companies that specialize in maritime models also produce this color of paint. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of White Ensign's paint, but it seems to be widely used among some very good ship model builders. WEM Colourcoat Paints

I suspect that the base color in the camouflage scheme that you posted earlier was Sasebo Grey.

Other, more knowlegable members of the Forum will probably weigh in on this.

Don

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Beautiful work on this famous destroyer.

Since Mutsuki was built at the Sasebo Naval Arsenal, it would have been painted in "Sasebo Grey,"

I suspect that the base color in the camouflage scheme that you posted earlier was Sasebo Grey.
You are right. In fact, I have found a sample-color in one Japanese web-page and I managed to buy a similar spray-paint in the paint shop. So, luckily for me, my problem is solved.

But I still lack of Mutsuki drawings or plans. I have found sth on the Internet and it helped me in few cases but I'm still looking for more accurate drawings.

Thank you for all replies. They are very helpful and elevating.

P.S. If some of you are going to ever build Mutsuki I can post the drawings and plans I've found. It could save you a lot of effort in finding it by yourselves.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Update

Welcome after a very long brake,

The assembling of the model still continues. But after a long debate I decided to change the type of the ship from Mutsuki to Nagatsuki because I have more materials on the latter.

I also managed to paint it using a spray gun and after that I added linoleum on the deck.

Below I present the hull (before and after painting) and the main tower which is still under construction and designing.

Enjoy,
Jake
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-42-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-43-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-44-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-39-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-65-.jpg  

IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-66-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-71-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-73-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-68-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-69-.jpg  

IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-27-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-28-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-33-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Jake,

After a long summer and a move, I am almost ready to get back to modeling myself. It looks as if you have been busy with your Mutsuki, nice work.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Update

Hi,

It is true that I have been working whole summer. And I hope I will finish my work 'till November. Will see. Today I present you the bow which is almost finished.

Jake
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-78-.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-nagatsuki-76-.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Excellent work. What did you use for the linoleum seams to represent the brass?
Google Adsense