PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)

Hello,

Few days ago I've started The Mutsuki kit from Answer. I decided to keep you updated as far as the building process. I am going to add few parts to the model itself. For now I made the frame. I used my own technique of covering the frame with the stripes of paper. The hull is more stiff and it is easier to stick the parts (especially, when they are not well designed and don't fit to eachother).
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3146.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3147.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3132.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3142.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3144.jpg  

IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3149.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3150.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3151.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3172.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3175.jpg  

IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3177.jpg   IJN Mutsuki (Answer)-resresimg_3178.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Your technique looks like one I might have to try on my next full hull build. Your efforts look really good! Thanks for the tip!

Greg
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
I'm interested, I have used balsa to fill in the spaces on 2 models successfully, Maddox and DeRuyter. I am interested to see your results.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
I'm interested, I have used balsa to fill in the spaces on 2 models successfully, Maddox and DeRuyter. I am interested to see your results.
I used this technique in two ships already. It works very well as if I used balsa and it is much cheaper
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
very interesting. Question on the technique - doesnt this add a bit of thickness all the way around the hull making fit a bit more difficult? Or do you factor this into your hull formers and cut them a teeny bit smaller?

Cant wait to see the rest come together! I have always liked ships and always falter on the hulls...
Chris
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
very interesting. Question on the technique - doesnt this add a bit of thickness all the way around the hull making fit a bit more difficult? Or do you factor this into your hull formers and cut them a teeny bit smaller?
Chris

It is not thicker at all. Many designs suggest to add a stripe of paper around each rib in order to be easier to sick the parts. I just did it in a different direction. After I covered the hull I used an abrasive paper to remove any roughness.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
good point! thanks for sharing might give that a go when I try a ship again
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Another hull skinning technique, thanks for sharing this and I'll keep following this build
Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Looking good, I'll be following this one.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Another angle on under/double-skinning...makes sense from a strength point of view to run the strip at 90 degrees to the outer skin...like others, I will have to try this on my next ship build (but need to finish the current one first...)
Google Adsense