PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Today, April 10th, is the 99nth anniversary of the maiden voyage of RMS Titanic, but she wouldnīt have got very far if it wasnīt for the tugs that pulled her out, and stopped the S.S. New York from coliding with her stern..

So today I made some new additions to the tug models like the masts and the rigging.
I also made the upperhull a bit larger to reach up to the upper decks

Altough they do not entirely look the way I had intended them to, they do look nicely;

And I also did a comparrison photo with my 1:200 Titanic.

I thought that the tugs would have been smaller, or the Titanic much larger,
after all, she was the largest moving object made by the hand of man in 1912..
Had I made an error in scaling the models?...

So I looked for an actual photograph of a Olympic class liner accompanied with some tugs and came across this picture of two tugs at the stern the īTitanicī scale vessel;

Looking at this picture the tugs didnīt look that bad at all, but there was only one way to find out..
Recreate that image..;

And In my honest oppinion, I do think that doesnīt look wrong at all..

The footage shown isnīt actually Titanic but her sistership Olympic after arrival at New York,
The footage was shown in a 1912 newsreel, the names on the tugs were scratched out to hide the fact that this is Olympic instead of Titanic.

Comments are welcome!

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Awesome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry V View Post
Today, April 10th, is the 99nth anniversary of the maiden voyage of RMS Titanic, but she wouldnīt have got very far if it wasnīt for the tugs that pulled her out, and stopped the S.S. New York from coliding with her stern..

So today I made some new additions to the tug models like the masts and the rigging.
I also made the upperhull a bit larger to reach up to the upper decks

Altough they do not entirely look the way I had intended them to, they do look nicely;

And I also did a comparrison photo with my 1:200 Titanic.

I thought that the tugs would have been smaller, or the Titanic much larger,
after all, she was the largest moving object made by the hand of man in 1912..
Had I made an error in scaling the models?...

So I looked for an actual photograph of a Olympic class liner accompanied with some tugs and came across this picture of two tugs at the stern the īTitanicī scale vessel;

Looking at this picture the tugs didnīt look that bad at all, but there was only one way to find out..
Recreate that image..;

And In my honest oppinion, I do think that doesnīt look wrong at all..

The footage shown isnīt actually Titanic but her sistership Olympic after arrival at New York,
The footage was shown in a 1912 newsreel, the names on the tugs were scratched out to hide the fact that this is Olympic instead of Titanic.

Comments are welcome!

Jerry
Jerry.... if the tugs hadn't stopped the collision, the Titanic probably wouldn't have set sail that day - the whole story would have been different, possibly the great ship would be a museum now instead of the wreck at the bottom of the ocean. One will never really know for sure - but a delay in her maiden voyage would have been JUST THAT - Her maiden voyage, and COMPLETED. The tugs you have made are very nice my friend, well worth the trouble that you went to, to create them. I guess the next thing here, will be the display case to keep them all clean - trust me... you really do need to do this, otherwise you will have endless hours with a small brush cleaning them - wish i'd have built a case for my ships Once again Jerry.... thank you for this most splendid build thread, of one of the most fascinating vessels every to leave our shores. Bravo Sir
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Thank you Peter, I have allready have plans for the case, but the tugs havenīt been finished yet

As for the Titanic not having set sail that day, I think, in the end, she would have been scrapped just like Olympic was.. As far as I know, due to īthe Great Depressionī the shipping lines came in financial trouble. The government would help them out, on one condition, the Cunard and White Star Lines needed to merge. After doing so the Cunard White Star Line scrapped their overtonnage of ships, being the older White Star Liners, including Olympic. Also the prices payed for scrapped steel were very high at that moment.. And not to forget, most of us would probably have ever heared of her...

Jerry
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM

In the Titanic topic it was posted that I
Quote:
always go the extra mile or more to get things right

Well Iīm certainly trying to keep that standard here, Today I have added more details to one of the tugs, like the bridge, and rails aft on the upperdeck. The lifeboats are there for fitting only. Instead of using the printed rolled down windshield, I cut up an old pair of trousers which didnīt fit me anymore.. Rolled some strips of fabric, tied it together and attached to the small vessel;

In the 2nd photo you can also see the attached ladder (left over from my Titanic build) to go up the upper deck;

The same thing will be done to the other tug, to the left, but it is there to show the difference..

Jerry
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Nice - and a "different subject" for once!
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks Kevin, Iīm glad you like the models, well the subject is not totally different.
I am planning to put them in a diorama with the large Titanic you see in the background in some of the pictures.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mauiman Send a message via MSN to Mauiman
Now what you need is that display case that I told you about.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 AM

Well I am planning on building one myself, I have been informing about buying one, but it needs to be at least 150 cm long, 50 cmīs high and wide, the only case available for models is only 42 cmīs high, and would be around 300 euroīs. So I am thinking about building one myself.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
They're not cheap, that's for sure. I had one made for the Bredford Dolphin drilling rig. I ordered it from Plexiline in Heemskerk, I was able to pick the case up myself during a leave trip to NL (PLEXILINE kunststoffen en kunststofproducten). He did a nice job at it.
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Jerry... you have gifted hands, a D.I.Y case is well within you. Perspex instead of glass would be less expensive, but attracts the dust more and when cleaned it gets very fine scratches easily. Fine work deserves a Fine case Sir
Google Adsense