PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
USS New Ironsides

Hi Everyone

It's been some time since I've done a build thread let alone finished something. I figured it's time to change that poor record and put my rusty skills to the test building the Heinkel Models USS New Ironsides
in 1:200 scale. The model can be found at Ecardmodels.com of course and was just recently released. The USS New Ironsides was a wooden hulled 'broadside' ironclad that was propelled by both steam *and* sail.
Wikipedia has a great write up on her. USS New Ironsides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She even played a part in blockading and bombarding the hometown of our favorite Admin here at Papermodelers!

The kit is immaculately designed and illustrated all in Photoshop. 10 pages of parts (3 of them for the most part formers to be laminated to 1mm and 1/2 page of .5mm). The deck itself is a work of art with enough detail and weathering to satisfy the pickiest of us. The instruction diagrams are on par with any of the best publishers out there.

I started with building the hull. It is a very sturdy egg-crate design that I was itching to have a go at. All the formers fit perfectly without any errors at all. By now, the entire planet has heard more than enough about 'laser cut frames' but I am a little proud of these ones I did all the conversions from hi resolution raster images to vector in Corel Draw and did the first trial cutting today. The images are dry fit only with glue being used to bond the main keel former halves. The hull plates are printed and ready to go so after this all sets up by the morning, it's fun time!

More tomorrow!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
USS New Ironsides-uss_ironsides_fullhull_1_20.gif   USS New Ironsides-frames0.jpg   USS New Ironsides-frames1.jpg   USS New Ironsides-frames2.jpg   USS New Ironsides-frames3.jpg  

USS New Ironsides-frames4.jpg   USS New Ironsides-frames5.jpg   USS New Ironsides-frames6.jpg   USS New Ironsides-frames7.jpg  

Last edited by Ron0909; 09-01-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Cool! And a ship with a storied history........... should be a nice build thread to keep up with.

My Drawings
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM

Welcome aboard John

I couldn't help myself. I *had* to get the deck glued on tonight. It's 3:12am and I've finally had enough. It was a pretty straight forward process. The deck was 2 large 1mm pieces that get butted together and then the actual 'skins' get glued on to the deck. A little edge painting and some WeldBond white glue and down it went. I really wanted to show the deck coloring as I thought the art was first rate. Please ignore the part numbers
on the bow (B4 & B5) They are wrong in case you grabbed the model and are crazy enough to follow my build. I've re-labelled them on the former sets to what they should be. It was me in a daze when I was changing out the font for the part numbers

More tomorrow!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
USS New Ironsides-deck1.jpg   USS New Ironsides-deck2.jpg   USS New Ironsides-deck3.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 01:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Just because you are the one selling the frames doesn't mean you can't jump into the sandbox and play....looking real good.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Great photos showing off the laser framing!! Definitely a build to follow..
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
That was superb work you did with the hull of HMS Bellona.
So I look forward to this one.
Mike
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the support guys Looks like I will have a full crew! Mike thanks for the compliments. It means a great deal! Dear Bellona will be back in dry dock as soon as I get the kinks out. I just took her down and got a face full of dust after I made the mistake of blowing on the decks. I hadn't touched her until you mentioned her and now I feel guilty...

All the best!
Ron
Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks good. I bought the full hull model and ordered the laser cut frames today. Something more to look at in the ever growing stack-o-paper models.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Looks good. I bought the full hull model and ordered the laser cut frames today. Something more to look at in the ever growing stack-o-paper models.
Thanks Doug! I really appreciate it as does Fernando I'm sure Sure you don't want to join in on a joint build?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Hi all

Someone mentioned somewhere recently that 'hulls were a separate hobby altogether' and I tend to agree. No matter how careful I am, I can never get it as good as I want it. One good thing is that all the mistakes are going to be on the bottom! The fit on all of the hull plates is perfect. I have never been able to come up with a system of gluing them down that doesn't leave the hull looking like it's ribs are poking through like a starved horse.
In the images I started with the provided strips that were printed along with the plates on 70lb paper. I started in the middle thinking that any mistakes would only be amplified by 1/2 on each end instead of a gaping wound should I have started at one end. The spaces are where I screwed up the plates anyways and I will be printing some more. I have a nice can of satin black spray that will fix up the imperfections when nobody is looking

More to come tomorrow!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
USS New Ironsides-ironside08.jpg   USS New Ironsides-ironside10.jpg   USS New Ironsides-ironside13.jpg   USS New Ironsides-ironside14.jpg