PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Uss oklahoma - uss arizona

I decided to go for a big bite this summer. Trumpeter's USS Airzona and Modelik's USS Oklahoma in simultanious builds. Trumpeter's 1/200 Arizona is an amazing kit with excellent mold qualities, highly reccomended. Modelik's Oklahoma is so far a perfect fit model. To "catch up" the Oklahoma will be the most work initially since I have to actually build the hull. Two days work is seen here, I will finish her hull up to the deck before commencing work on the Arizona.

The frames are laminated over balsa, I laminated paper on both sides of the balsa to reduce warpage, this worked very well, allowing easy cutting and trimming.

I will finish the lower hull, take a break to top off the Junyo then come back and get going on the dual build from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p3260050.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p3260048.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p3260051.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good news for us pre-war U.S. Navy fans, that you are bginning this dual build.

Looks like you are off to a great start.

Don
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, I didn't even know Modelik made a USS Oklahoma! Looking forward to following your build.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Interesting!

Compare the size of the kits' packaging. Printed paper is much more compact, electronic even more so - unless you take into account the space occupied by the printer & computer!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM

The lower hull of Oklahoma is nearing completion. I used no additional support for the framing and except for plate #8 every piece has fit the rather complex shape well. I added wall filler for a few of the seams and the bow tip. The bow lower tip is made of 4 pieces and has a surprisingly nice fit.

About the real ship. The hull form likely did her no favors at Pearl when torpedoed 3 times in rapid succession there was little chance to counter flood leaving the ship woafully unbalanced with water entering the very wide bulged hull quickly on the one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4100001.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4100002.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4100004.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4100005.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4100006.jpg  

Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4100007.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.47 MB
Hello Paperfan,

I have recently recieved my USS Olkahoma Kit from GPM. I have also purchased the frames and the gun tubs. I like what I see that you have completed so far and will be following your progress as you build. When I first looked at the kit and frames the torpedo bulges on the sides gave me sum concern. But looking at what you have done it seems they work very well.

I think it is cool that we now have two of the three Battleships totally lost at Pearl Harbor in Card. Although the USS Utah was no longer classified as a Battleship, she had been built as one. Keep up the good work for you are doing a fine job.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Most of the outer hull is plated, I still need to add the keels, shafts, and some platform supports along the upper deck extension at mid deck. The 8th lower plate did not it at all correctly and was completely replaced. The bow plates were cut into two parts to aide in alignment and I has to add a slit at the bow to allow the paper to wrap properly. I will touch these up with filler to help conceal.

I have decided to paint Oklahoma to represent her time at Pear leading up to the Dec 7 attack. I have not been able to find the turret recognition colors used at the time, if anyone knows please tell me.

Airzona's were red according to the box art and some images I have seen on the net.
Attached Thumbnails
Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4160008.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4160009.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4160010.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4160011.jpg   Uss oklahoma - uss arizona-p4160011x.jpg  

Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
According to this source, USS Oklahoma's #1, #2 and #4 turret tops were Red, Red, Blue:

Researcher @ Large - Battleship Turret Top colors on December 7, 1941

Here's more information on USS Oklahoma and her sister, USS Nevada. Could be useful, especially comments concerning the false bow wave:

The Ship Model Forum • View topic - Calling all USS Nevada class fans

David
Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks David for the help.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Both ships look great, but I really like Oklahoma.

Excellent turrent recognition color information and and very useful sources.

Don
Google Adsense