PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-25-2008, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 MB
HMS Victory, Shipyard, 1:96

Hello friends,

This is a catching up of my building thread I begun in october 2008. As many of you know the previous reports I will show only the new progress. For all of you, which don't know the further steps I give you a link to a small austrian page, where you can see the thread from the beginning. The text is in german - but there are a lot of self-explanatory pictures and if you have any questions - here is the right place.

http://www.sc2web.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=204

After finishing of the channels next step was building the keel. But before I reduced the glossy shine with a cloud of colorless flat finish.

The keel is a very important step it's accuracy is important for the final look of the ship. To get a stable and strong connection I used some pieces of 1 mm iron wire in the glued connection. Here you can see the front part of the keel, made of 4 mm cardboard.

Between the front and end section I used two aluminium profiles as a help to get a straight line for the big middle part.

Also here I used some pieces of iron wire to get a strong connection. The 4 mm cardboard were created with some smaller sheets: 0,15 + 0,4 + 1,0 + 0,9 + 1,0 +0,4 + 0,15 mm = 4,0 mm. In the sheet with 0,9 mm (just in the middle) I cut some slices with 1,0 mm before gluing to create a jig.

The result was a very straight and centric keel.

Here you can see the symmetric alignment of the channels. Each side contain 5 pieces of them.

As exclusion for the keel I adapted this connector to the bow deck (gammoning knee).

With the keel the body of the ship don't lay even on the table anymore - so it was time to make a pedestal.

After this time I have to push myself especially because there is a prominent and competent observer to my reports. Mr. McKay (the author of the well known book 'Anatomy of the Ship ... Victory) will take a look at my work from time to time. The last weeks I had an agile email contact with him, because I wrote him about my wish to buy large scale copies of some drawings in the book. It was a very nice and trouble free contact with Mr. McKay and I will send him in this way my kind regards and a big 'Thank you!'. At ghe moment the drawings are on their way from Canada to Austria.
At the moment I'm working at the copper of the underwater area and will come back with further results of my work.

Kindly regards

Josef
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That is beautiful work! inspiringly nice sailing ship, thanks for the pics (I'm gonna have to do a ship someday...)
Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
An excellent model and many useful techniques, as well.

Many thanks for posting.

Don
Old 05-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 132.67 MB
All right... something different !!!!
Be wellcome with your beautiful model.
Saludazos
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm hoping to dive into sailing ships soon and this is very good inspiration and information. Beautiful workmanship.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.97 MB
Gorgeous! Very nice work!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! Great work!