PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hornblower's Hotspur

I wish I could delve right into the model-related waffle and faff on and on about the design and build process, but unfortunately, this particular build is one marked by tragedy.

On Friday, October 2, 2015, at around 0700 local time, the cargo vessel El Faro sent a distress signal. Today, at sundown, the search was ended. My service, the United States Merchant Marine, and the seafaring trade in general, has been dealt yet another tragedy. It has been a week of mourning for us here at the academy, and this was the last thing any of us have wanted to hear. As you may know, I joined this academy over a year ago, and since then I have learned how tightly-knit the seafaring community is. Names travel quickly, as do stories. These past few days I learned just how quickly grief spreads round the scuttlebutt as well. Every day our training reminds us of how small and fragile we are compared to Neptune's might and the whims of the Midgard Serpent. That at any minute, King Neptune can choose to recall these machine-gods of the sea back to Davy Jones, and the crew with them. But, to finally experience firsthand the grief and agony over this loss goes beyond any emotion that any STCW class can convey. The femoral artery, when severed, can bleed out a man within three minutes. In frigid waters you can expire in just a few more. When your brothers and sisters perish, a part of your own soul dies with them. And that, in my view, is just a bit more agonizing.

It's a strange yet fitting coincidence then that my latest model should once again be maritime-related. What's more, it comes from a series of tales which were among the first to inspire me to look to the sea. And so, I present to you my version of Horatio Hornblower's Hotspur.

Being a fan of the moving picture, I based the model largely on the setpiece seen in the Hornblower miniseries, with structural detail drawn from actual sixth-rate vessels of the napoleonic era.

Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Can't beat a good sloop - looking forward to this

Tim
Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Huge fan of Hornblower, I was raised on that series!

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your community, and the family of those lost.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
excellant choice. I was raised on cs forrester, and loved the miniseries as well.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Sounds like my kind of club -- first read the Hornblower books almost 60 years ago, and the recent TV series was very well done. And the 1950s classic "Captain Horatio Hornblower," starring Gregory Peck, remains great fun, too. Let me also recommend the Lord Ramage stories of Dudley Pope, whom I think deserves far more recognition than he received.

But I don't want to highjack this thread -- will be delighted to see the finished Hotspur.
Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
Bryan,

I am so sorry. The pain of loss is deep and your story of the El Faro touches me; I share the grief because it is your grief. Making a loss personal this way is important. Thank you.

On a different note, I really love your models. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Christine