PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Massena, French pre-Dreadnought Battleship, 1:400, Golden Bear Models No. 2

This is my second scratch build after the Hoche. In contrast to the Hoche, the Massena has very little superstructure. She has a magnificent long bow, not for ramming but for additional flotation under the front of the ship.

I've been working on a CAD model for a few weeks now, trying to get all the problems solved at that stage rather than later during the build. I'm not quite done but I wanted to see how my fit was going to come out and I assembled the hull frames to check it out.

The first picture shows the frames dry fit with the Hoche in the background for size comparison.

The second picture shows my design technique. I don't like those hull frames where I am uncertain about whether I've lined up things in the correct spot or not. So the entire system interlocks. It holds together without any glue.
Attached Thumbnails
Massena, French pre-Dreadnought Battleship, 1:400, Golden Bear Models No. 2-p7200001.jpg   Massena, French pre-Dreadnought Battleship, 1:400, Golden Bear Models No. 2-p7200004.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2007, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Man, you don't even loose a minute between the builds :D
Old 07-20-2007, 06:25 AM

Well, I started modeling it while taking shoulder breaks from the Hoche. There are so many things that I learned from that first effort that I want to try to do better this time. I got eager to test things out.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks good (as always ).
Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Eternal Member

Looking good Carl they were interesting ships
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Nice Carl! I would have to agree with the interlocking system! Definately helps get it right! Having built a wooden ship model where I was a bit off on the alignment, I know what a disaster it can become! Keep up the great work!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 AM

Brilliant! The interlocking baseplate/frame/"keel" idea is brilliant! I think I'll modify the ship models I have to incorporate that idea when I start building them. Errr...you haven't patented it, have you?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:48 PM

I had a little problem... the first start was about 10% to small! I've been fighting with the scaling coming from Rhino into PSP and Rhino won that round. Doh! I'm caught back up now and on to newer screw ups! I'd show a picture but it looks the same as the previous... just longer.

Carl
Old 07-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
I had a little problem... the first start was about 10% to small! I've been fighting with the scaling coming from Rhino into PSP and Rhino won that round. Doh! I'm caught back up now and on to newer screw ups! I'd show a picture but it looks the same as the previous... just longer.

Carl
Ugh, I know what you're going through. I must have enough mis-scaled parts sheets to build 3 or 4 complete ships (if they all matched, that is.) Nothing like finishing a time consuming eggcrate framework, only to find that the hull sides don't fit! I was lucky that time, though, the framework was OK, just the hull parts sheet was too small (whew!). Still, what you've got so far looks promising. I just might have to steal your idea and add it to my ships.

Scott K.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Looks like a great start to another superb build, Carl!

It's a great idea to use slots and tabs to help with the alignment of parts, and it clearly has given you a simple but effective method for setting up the formers accurately.

We're all looking forward to seeing another great design and build from you!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense