PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Calm seas best economic speed looks great

bazzer
Old 07-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Squinty Goes Public..., Says Ex-Governor Not All Bad...,

Hi Jim,

Ok, you got me to go searching around for "RO/RO". The following site brought me up to speed:

http://njscuba.net/artifacts/ship_freighter.html

It's one of those items, below public awareness, that is largely responsible for enabling World Trade. RO/RO's being a response to reach low level infrastructure ports.

By the way I would guess that you've become adept at making "little tiny" container boxes by now...,

The railings and anchor chain add a great deal of "visual effect".

Thanks,
+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 07-27-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Thanks, bazzer! I figure the sea base is similar to the calmer seas on the Caribbean run this ship probably was engaged in.

Gil...love the heading! :D

Yes, this is actually a hybrid container-RO/RO vessel, as it probably used the onboard crane to lift the containers off of the chassis which rolled onto the ship with the containers. The more common true RO/RO are the car carriers folks have probably seen from time to time...the big, boxy lumbering ships that look more like floating shoe boxes.

I sure have become well trained in the container box construction...I wondered why the designer decided on making individual boxes, rather than a block of "containers" like most kits I have seen do. Sure gives you the flexibility to set up your stow, but this kit does require quite a few containers to be built.

Thanks for the comment about the rails and anchor cable...without those tidbits it would look rather bare, I thought.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks much for the thread, I really enjoyed it. I like freighters in general, and this is a really interesting one. Now I'm trying to think of where I can find fly tying thread.... maybe Bass Pro sells it, ah another excuse to go there
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Hello Jim,
I’ve gone through your thread this afternoon since I was very much interested in small scale ship model.
May I ask one point? I guess CA glue you mentioned is a kind of instant glue which dries in a moment after applied. Am I correct?
Last time I made railings I didn’t stiffen threads using glue so after painted the threads it crooked and since then I didn’t want to make it myself and always used photo etched railings. So, the smallest scale was 1/400 that I can build because at that scale photo etched railings are available.
I’ll try your method so that I might be able to build smaller scale
Thank you for showing your method
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Hi, Yu!

Thanks for your interest in this thread, and I am happy it might have provided some ideas that could be useful to you in your builds.

Yes, the CA is what is sometimes referred to as "crazy glue", and is the also referred to as "instant glue". I don't work with it much but wanted to see how it worked in stiffening the threads for the railings; I normally used acrylic paints as the stiffening and binding agent but with some shortcomings. The binding aspect is sometimes not good and the parts flake apart if handled too roughly.

I saw the use of CA for making rails on the Modelshipwright webpage and elsewhere and thought I should give it a try. I was pretty happy with the results, particularly how it bind the joints and stiffened the threads. It did tend to flow between the openings on occassion if applied too thick and set so fast I didn't have time to attempt to correct the error.

Overall, and with a bit of practice, it would probably become my preferred method at this scale. Just be very careful of the fumes as they are very harmful to lungs and other human parts! Seriously, the have been known to crystalize cells in the lungs which could lead to very serious consequences, so use in a very well ventilated area at all times.

Hope this helps and answers some of your questions. If you or anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to drop me a line or post it here.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 09-04-2008, 01:41 AM

Hi, Jim
Thanks a lot for your clear explanation and precaution against Crazy glue.
For the first time, I began to feel a ray of hope
Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
That's a dandy cargo ship you have there Jim. Great work at micro scale. It just floors me how you do the fine details at these scales.

If patience is a virtue, then you are the most virtuous person I know...
Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Thank you, Yu! I'm glad my words were helpful.
I look forward to seeing one of your builds!

Thanks, Eib! I'm glad you enjoyed this build, it was fun for me. I really do enjoy the challenge of making those details at this scale, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. I do appreciate your very kind words, my friend!

Thanks to all who visited; I hope you enjoyed the thread.
Thanks for stopping by and having a look!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Just found this. I must say Jim, you are the master when it comes to building small models.

I love this little container ship and would love to build it but I would leave it the original scale or even scale it up.
Google Adsense