PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
The CSS Columbus Ironclad

CSS Columbus

Amongst CT’s Civil War Ironclads is the free download (find it in the download section here) of the CSS Columbus – an early attempt by the Confederates to build a vessel capable of attacking the Union ships on the rivers and waterways of the States. For CT’s original post see here http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ct-ertzs-projects/10831-css-columbus-ironclad-1-250-scale.html

Whilst waiting for CT to complete the finishing touches to Macon III prior to my test build, it was suggested I had a go at building the Columbus and take some photos of the end results (I’m on a bit of a ‘build fest’ at the moment!). I know that ‘knife’ built the vessel a little while ago but there don’t seem to be any pictures available of the vessel so, hopefully, mine will fill the gap.

Like knife, I made the casemate a cut-away (otherwise the inner walling etc remains hidden). The only thing I would have done differently is perhaps to have blocked off the gap between the inner and out walls visible in the cutaway. There’s a little twist in the hull – due entirely to the fact that I didn’t pack out the hull void with card stock as in other builds. I need to work a little on my cannon rolling too - but I guess practise will make perfect (eventually!)

All that being said, it was an enjoyable build and, if you haven’t tried one of CT’s models why not give the Columbus or the Texas a go? Both are available in the downloads section.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos (apologies for the slight blue tint to the pictures, due i think to the background I used).
Attached Thumbnails
The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-1.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-2.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-3.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-4.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-5.jpg  

The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-6.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-7.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-8.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-9.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-10.jpg  

The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-11.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-12.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-13.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-14.jpg   The CSS Columbus Ironclad-css-columbus-15.jpg  

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
That is a sweet model! I cannot imagine how loud it must have been in there when shooting those canons, the smoke, and heat. The cut out really gives an insight into the time!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very nice model indeed. The base and plaque with the ship's history is the perfect finishing touch. Well done.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Just got back from work. Awesome build again. And, as mentioned, the base is great. Thanks again for a great build!
CT
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words.

I must admit, when building the casemate I couldn't help but think of the similarities between the confines of space on the Columbus and those encountered by the men on the gun decks of Napoleonic warships over fifty years earlier. There really wasn't any room in that pyramid - just imagine the noise, the heat and the total commotion when all six guns were brought into action. It must have been total hell!

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM

It is likely that the top of the pyrimid may have been covered by a wood grating but with out a reason such as a pilot house, I do not think the top would have had any solid covering. It is also possible that with such a small opening and the total lack of accurate plunging fire, that the top would have been left open so the gunners would of had maximum ventilation and light. Even so, i would wounder if such a gun lay out would have been more practical with the broad side guns being served by one crew? Switching from port or starboard gun as needed.

Anyhow, excellent model! I like the added details!
CT
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
It is a very fine build of a certainly interesting model.
This is, oddly-enough, one of the more modern-looking Ironclads, as far as I am concerned.
That is because I am heavily biased against Stern-wheel and Paddle-wheel propelled vessels of any sort. To me, that type of propulsion is grossly inefficient, and thus anachronistic, even when it was new. I thus find them unappealing.

A propeller-driven ship, on the other hand,is aesthetically "proper" as far as my sense of appeal is concerned.
This model of the CSS Columbus again piques my interest precisely because I find it appealing and interesting.

A fine model has resulted from both good design and good building, with obvious care taken in each aspect of the processes. I am impressed.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM

It is amazing that they were building NEW paddle wheel ship into the 1900s! For river use there was the argument that they were less vulnerable to snags and entanglement. Rather this was true I do not know. I suspect that the real reason was that screw still had some way to go to get the pitch right for the RPM of the engine and so on, and the old paddle wheel was just cheaper. So manny paddle wheels were used inland by both navies I think just because they were so available. But even during the war, the screw propeller was seen as the future.

I like the looks of all of the screw driven ironclads. Low, and sleek. If they had had better engines for some good speed they would have been even meaner.

Shawn's build sure makes this ship look good.

CT
Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
CT, I'm not usually given to "what if" type notions in this context, so here's an unusal question for you.

If there had been a Parsons (UK steam engineer) style steam-turbine powerplant with screw-propulsion, available to either ACW Navy, what would the resulting vessel have looked and performed like, all other matters of weaponry and armour etc remaining as they had been?
Ie: a Turbinia powerplant scaled up for use in an Ironclad?

Just a curious thought, and I suspect a rather "steam-punk" result, though that is far from my intent in asking.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
The priinciple of the steam turbine was known in the 1860's, but had to wait for the right technologies to come together. Parson was the 1st to produce a practical unit for seagoing use, but not the only one developing the turbine. Both USA and Germany had experimenters working on turbine variants.
On the question of efficiencies, paddle wheels, particularly side wheels are nearly equal to screws in still or riverine conditions and do allow fro much shallower draught vessels. The Admiralty used sidewheel tugs to manoevre aircraft carriers in Portsmouth Harbour for many years until the advent of modern diesel units with concentrated power in small spaces.
Google Adsense