PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild

Hi Guys

Attached are a few photos of my test build of the latest Ironclad model designed by CT – the ‘Wrecked Selma Vessel’.

Alas, I’m unable to provide many details regarding the vessel apart from the fact it was wrecked on launch – CT or rebelatsea will, hopefully, provide us with further details regarding the ship.

Anyway, enjoy the photos – the last few show a comparison between the Selma Vessel and the Macon.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0149.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0150.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0151.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0152.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0153.jpg  

Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0154.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0155.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0156.jpg   Wrecked Selma Vessel Testbuild-sany0158.jpg  

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Not much is known other then it was a side wheeler and was wrecked at launch. The wreckage was sold off to help pay off the contract. I used an average length of other sidewheeled armored vessels. large and wide, with a thin depth of hold, one can see how this vessel might be suseptable to damage. I hope it meats with y'alls satisfaction. Shawn once again did a wonderful job with the build! Thanks Shawn.

CT
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Sadly I can't add anything to Corey's comments above. the historic assumption is that Anderson was constructing her to John Luke Porter's plan, in which case she was another CSS Nashville. What happened at her launch, whether she fell off the ways, or broke her back is lost in the mists of time now.
Interestingly in light of subsequent Union reports on the Nashille having been hogbraced, Admiral Franklin Buchanan was extremely pleased with her, she was not with him in the action at Fts Morgan and Gaines because she had not received all her armour, nor her ordnance. What armour she did have was taken from CSS Baltic.
I have serious doubts about the ability of the sponsons to carry the projected 4" iron anyway, I think the angled faces were far too "fussy" and would have imposed too much weight outboard. I suspect that, if the ship had been taken to completion, a much simpler scheme would have been substituted.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 AM

By the way Shawndymond, that's a great model - well done.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 AM

I cannot say that Corey is wrong in his assumptions either, that is an interesting variant on Porter's Nashville.
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Well, I might have over did the paddle housings but I was kind of just taking general average info and combining it. It had to be heart breaking for the builders to have it break after so much work.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 AM

How long would a vessel like this have taken to build? I guess they were constructed pretty quickly?

However long the build, like Corey said, it must have been totally devistating to see her break up on launch....

There seem to have been many ACW vessels built and abandoned or half built - was there any reason for this? Surely, whatever the circumstances, to complete a half-built ship would make more sense than start building another...

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Terrific design, and a beautifully built model. You and Corey make quite a team, Shawn. It's sad, but I'll admit until Corey started reproducing the Union and Confederate states ironclad fleets, I had absolutely no idea that there was such a number and variety of ironclad warships. Even more amazing is that all these different vessels were conceived, designed, and built over a period of just 5 years. Necessity really is the mother of invention.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Well, as best I can figure, it was do to lack of good overland roads and railways. No matter how fast the foundry at Port Columbus Georgia could make naval fittings or the Tredager foundry could produce iron armor or Brookes rifels, if they could not transport these things to the shipyard then all the builders end up with is a big wooden block.

A second problem would have been man power. Labor strikes helped doom the CSS Mississippi. Some times even the paint was impossable to get.
CT
Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks Don!

Like you, my knowledge of ACW vessels was practically non-existent until I discovered CT's models - to be honest being a 'Limey', my knowledge of the ACW period was pretty scant. I can't help but get 'sucked in' when I start building these vessels, wanting to find out more and more - Amazon.co.uk has done really well out of the Dymond account lately!

That being said, Corey has a different build for me to work on later today (I hope! My workbench is cleared off and ready for action CT!) - so, watch this space...

Google Adsense