Skillful and clever work.
Your ship is going to be a beauty.
Mike
Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeefe View Post
How about sponsons?
... thats the name i´ve been looking for, thanks a lot.

@ all
Thanks for the nice comments.
As tricky as the JSC models somtimes might be, they very often provide exotic niche models, away from the mainstream of Bismarck & Co.

rgds
Peter
Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 AM

His Imperial Majesty, Tsar Nicholas II., is not amused about the slow progress on the cruiser NOVIK ... thus the shipyard now tries to recover the backlog ...

The shipwright department managed to complete the three deckhouses, which are making the only remarkable superstructure on the middle deck.
As you can see from the scanned portion, the design of the parts is much more complicated than necessary - again
If built like that, you´ll never get smooth edges.
Consequently, I have removed the tabs, and cut the radii of the roof a little smaller.

During dry-fitting the middle deckhouse, i discovered, that the side doors will be blocked by vents later (clearly visable on the attached pic)
To overcome that mishap, i covered the printed doors with a piece of plane white paper. To find the correct position for the doors, i consulted the GA-Plan in the Gangut brochure, and found out that there were doors on the port side only.
Actually there were double doors, but i glued one only.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-scan01.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3395.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3396.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Outfitting work on the deck continues ...

To add some extra detail, i´ve created a locker for the "ready-to-use ammo", which i found on the GA-Plan.
Further, i redraw some skylights, manholes and entrance huts on the aft, following the drawings in the Gangut book.
The original parts are very simple, just square boxes.

I found one notable mistake on the aft part:
There are 2 glue marks side-by-side for those small manholes - which is wrong, but only one part to built - which is correct. NOVIK had only one entrance there. I covered the starboard side mark with a piece of scanned deck texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3403.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3406.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3397_.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Meanwhile in the armory ...

I don´t like the simple, box shaped gun mounts, which come along with the model.
Once again i´ve consulted the GANGUT brochure.
With the excellent drawings of the 4.7in main guns as a template, i created my own mounts.
I think, I captured the basic layout pretty well
For the "final" version i plan to add some handwheels (for the training gears) and maybe some kind of recoil brake ...

The barrels are from the GPM barrel set for the 1:400 JSC HMS Norfolk. Being the 8in main battery in that scale, they perfectly fit the 4.7in in 1:250.

The splinter-protection shields are a bit to large and do not really match the shape of the originals. Again, i redraw them.
I´m not yet sure, which colour they will have. Both yellow and white are possible according to contemporary images.
Maybe i omit them entirely, if the final guns come out nicely ...
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-2view_org.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3411.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-2view_rew.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fine work on the improvements!

Don
Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Quote:
His Imperial Majesty, Tsar Nicholas II., is not amused about the slow progress...
...never mind; I like your progress - all comes out well and the improvements too ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 09-26-2011, 03:43 PM

One large "White Spot" on the NOVIK´s deck is the aft gun.

The gun mount was placed with a little elevation above the deck, compared to the other guns on the middle deck. This was necessary because of the raised deck lines and the after bulwark.
To compensate the difference in height, the gun crew stood on a platform, which was mounted around the gun.
The real platform consisted of a grating, resting on tiny stanchions.
(Images from the Gangut brochure)

The part of the model is made up very simple. Just a platform and a stripe to wrap around - njet!

Further, an entrance hood, leading to the officers quarters below deck, was situated on the after port side of the platform.

Once again, CorelDRAW was needed ... I redraw the platform, with the cut for the entrance hood.
Then placed it on small card strips, resembling the stanchions.
Finally two pieces of LC ladder - the lords don´t need to jump ...
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3415.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3416.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3417.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3413.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 04:00 PM

... there shall be light !

Starting from the aft, i´m going to equip the cruisers deck piece by piece.

The first step is the aft searchlight post.
To be made of a simple, circular truncated cone, it does not match the original. The original post on the NOVIK was a truncated cone, but with an oval shape.
With the GA plan as reference, i created my own post, adding doors to the ammunition hoists on the front and a locker for the ready-to-use ammo on the rear.

The searchlight i replaced with the one from the kit of the german gunboat (HMV) PANTHER, which comes along much more detailed and does match the size far better.

Added some bollards as well to the deck ...
Rgds
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-searchlight_aft_.jpg   Light Cruiser NOVIK / JSC / 1:250-img_3420.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Superb detail work!

Don
Google Adsense