PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
I should do more on it, but am kinda bummed out due to a heavy work schedule. And I am still working on my own designs, which are Total Annihilation models:

They are quite simple, but take a heck of a lot of work, as I'm texturing 1 face/polygon at a time... The latter two are Air Repair Pads, which are originals from the game. The ship and the two fighters are my own design. The ship has several 100 polygons... close to 400, in fact.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Just a quick progress update. Only going to link a few photo's, but you can find more through this link: Album 6 Gallery 63 Current projects TA papercrafts

Here's the finished armoured bridge:

And the first level of the boiler room:

Once again, I thank Mainpirat for his thread that warned me for the too shallow cut-out in the boiler room deck where it meets the main bridge. What I almost didn't notice was the wrong location of the ladder platform, it was too far forward. It wasn't lining up with the space reserved for it in the wall of the deck-house. It would have been right over the printed ladder if I had left it that way!

What I now need is the location of railings for this particular deck. I have 5 pieces of plastic railing labelled 112aR, 112aR, 112bL and 2x 112c. Previous rails all had the number of the corresponding deck piece. I could safely say that they go onto deck part 112, but where is the big question... I doubt that they go around the 3 white numbered areas though. Those are for the catapult and the 2 large cranes.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have enjoyed readng your thread and I know 1st hand, these are not easy kits to build from this mfg, one must be willing to go the extra mile to acheive these outstanding results. One word keeps popping up: clean build, a true mark of a craftsman. Look forward to more and how do you like the UHU glue?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Best glue I tried. The bottle you see on my desk is almost empty though... Good thing I have a spare. My building skills aren't up to those Halinski builders standards though. I tend to make errors, spill/smear glue everywhere and place things wrongly... But so far, it has actually been easier to build than my 1:400 Shimakaze build.

I'm also doing a few 'commission' builds for my sister's PC store, like this Canon Halloween mobile:
Attached Thumbnails
Scaldis/JSC 'De Ruyter' light cruiser, 1/250-dsc02163.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Best glue I tried. The bottle you see on my desk is almost empty though... Good thing I have a spare. My building skills aren't up to those Halinski builders standards though. I tend to make errors, spill/smear glue everywhere and place things wrongly... But so far, it has actually been easier to build than my 1:400 Shimakaze build.

I'm also doing a few 'commission' builds for my sister's PC store, like this Canon Halloween mobile:
Yea, I like their glue too, and also have the same as you, get from local craft store. I also like to use Duco, which I use alot and another UHU glue, albit had to be order from Japan, go figure, glue from Germany ordered from Japan????????
Anyhow, if you can get your hands on some, you will be pleased, not as runny as the type you are using, UHU All Purpose Adhesive, tube type.
Thicker, easier to control and will not soak paper. One must be careful, things we use to assemble with and and do cause shirnkage over time, and glue is a main suspect, then comes water color paint. The H2O make-up of these glues and or paints cause the reaction. However used w/care, our models will stand the test of time. I am very selective of what type glue I use. Many use PVA and it is a good glue, but for some reason, it works best for me on my RC models gluing balsa! But, use what you can get, I have a easy time finding Duco cement, others here have stated it is very hard to get in their neck of the woods. I also use thin CA wicked to harden up areas of card and lite assembly. I also have learned a lession while on this Forum from a Master builder, spot glue, ie: use only what is needed.
Like the mobile, and don't sell yourself short, your work looks just fine. One of the things about paper modeling, we learn from each project and each other, we get better with each build under our the belts. Rick
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 AM

White glue and school type glue (DO NOT USE THIS, it's that bad) is the easiest to get here, lots of DIY stores and book stores that sell it. UHU I only found in a single Rotterdam store called Harolds Grafik. It is the big daddy of art supply stores. I do like my glue to be a bit thin, as it won't dry up as fast as the stronger stuff like Bison-col (the other bottle on my desk). The wood (pva) glue is good for edge gluing and small parts, as it grabs better than the UHU glue.

I do learn from the other threads, even if they are mostly images. But most of all, I am having FUN. It is also more rewarding than plastic models, despite them being very good hobby subjects! What I really need to do is finish up old models though...
Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 39.40 MB
I build the Veritas model off the Ruyter. That was an old one from the sixties.

Your work is more detailed, a very nice ship.

Fred
Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Okay, got a LOT done on the De Ruyter. I finished the boilerroom and the smoke stack and the engine room deckhouse. And I found the places for the railings I talked about in my previous posts.

And then I ran into trouble. The skin of the second funnel tier wouldn't fit around the former. So I went at it from the other way, I glued the skin to the funnel and then slotted the former in. The end result isn't that pretty, but it workes:

And how it looks on the ship:

I keep thinking that the smoke stack is on backwards... But on with the show and the engineroom deckhouse:

Onething I also added were the supports for the boat cranes and their platform. I didn't use the supplied paper parts for those though, too small and hard to roll. So I used a chopped-up toothpick and some paint.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Quote:
I keep thinking that the smoke stack is on backwards...
Nope - you got the smoke stack right.
Something that bothered a lot of designers of that era was how to handle smoke. On a passenger ship they didn't want it drifting down on the passengers or collecting on deck. On a warship - they didn't want it interfering with the optics of the ship's range finders. The baffles on the De Ruyter were among the more significant, but certainly not unusual.

By the way - you can find very similar baffles on steam locomotives of the era as well. They were sometimes called "Elephant Ears."
Old 10-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Great model and build.
The aerodynamics of the smoke stack is interesting, it looks like they designed it with the help of windtunnel research. The superstructure also looks deliberately streamlined. Interesting, I didn't know that.
Google Adsense