PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
My brother's wife could sink the state of Florida if she just drove through it, and the resulting change in the gravitational field would wreak havoc with life as we know it!

I flubbed that Hull!! I am working on it right now and found the mistakes, near the stern. The Hull is "Interesting, for something that seems so simple, there are a couple of spots that will be interesting to do in paper, but the should be workable.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
My brother's wife could sink the state of Florida if she just drove through it, and the resulting change in the gravitational field would wreak havoc with life as we know it!

I flubbed that Hull!! I am working on it right now and found the mistakes, near the stern. The Hull is "Interesting, for something that seems so simple, there are a couple of spots that will be interesting to do in paper, but the should be workable.
I built a large scale sub about 18 years ago (forgot which one) that featured some compound stern curves that were represented by too many pieces of paper that just made the stern look like a series of straight lines.

I used some metal working skills that I developed restoring my 55 Chevy to cure the problem. I laid some japan tissue over the affected area and cut a rough outline. I transferred that outline to regular cardstock, cut the shape out and "rolled" the paper.

Though very limited compared to mild steel, paper card exhibits a certain degree of malleability that can be exploited when making paper models. Working with some really basic tools, I managed to roll the compound curves into the paper. Making a series of minute cuts, I got the part to fit exactly where it was supposed to. Wish I had photographed the whole process, but that was the days before the Forums.

I was wondering, Zathros, if you could do the same thing. Develop and build bulkheads of the affected section, then develop by hand the correct part shape which the modeler will eventually roll into the correct shape.

Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Interesting, but I was able to produce the parts by manipulating the position of lines and angles and whatnot. The building of the hull will be the final test,but as of right now, on the pictures attached to this post, every part unfolds. The lines you see in the Render do not show up in paper, it is just a way that Rhino talks to you. There is one area towards the Stern that I have to do more research into, it will be easy enough to smooth the transition, but according to the blueprints, it looks like that. I have no pictures of the underside or "wetted" surfaces.

The day people can accept and deal with painting models, instead of wanting "everything" printed out, a whole new world will open up to them. One other reason I don't make a lot of paper models is because when you have a machine shop, and welders etc, you tend to make a lot of "real things". Like exhaust systems, and too many other things to go into. I tend to enjoy this Hobby more when there is 5 feet of snow outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Uss simon lake as-33-r4.jpg   Uss simon lake as-33-r5.jpg   Uss simon lake as-33-r6.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

I believe the Hull is done. The sides unfold as one piece. It looks "fair" and the hull will go together in the usual manner. any tweaks will come later on to the hull. I realize there is the possibility of making a waterline. I have decided to follow the methods of other and accept absolutely no opinions as to what anyone may prefer.

Only kidding!! Yes, that's baiting! It seems logical to offer a waterline version or this ship, but since I understand both sides, I will accommodate us. The only people who will get this model are those who show interest. It will not be for sale. I will be making a one piece Hull for those who have large format printers, as you can set your printers to cut at whatever length you want it to. That is true of most printers.

I would ask anyone who is too sensitive to take what they put out not post in this thread. Otherwise, feel free. Stupid comments will be dealt with harshly. Questions are not stupid comments. I am personally getting tired of all the babies here, and as I have just discovered that I have an extremely low "Reputation", I have decided to act in that manner. Of course, those who are friends of mine will notice absolutely no difference! I did not even know the forum had a reputation mechanism, how droll, now I understand what the popularity contest is all about. I will struggle to please those who are friends and satisfy those who feel they must "complain" all the time.

Here's is where I am at with the hull. I have to make the formers now, but basically, it is done. This model is being made from blue prints. it is not being made out of someone else's model, a game rip, or, a repaint. It is not some distorted cartoon-ish version of a vehicle, it is based on a "real" ship, so, the concept as to what is going on will be foreign to many here, except for certain people, and you of course know who your are. A sampling of of these persons can be found in my friends list, which of course is not at all inclusive of those people who are my friends. Now, some of you may start pushing or lodging you complaints. Band-Aides and Milk and cookies will be available in the Nurses office.
Attached Thumbnails
Uss simon lake as-33-r7.jpg   Uss simon lake as-33-r8.jpg  

Last edited by Zathros; 10-01-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Eternal Member

looking good
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
I am already dreaming of the detailing possibilities of this model!

The hull looks excellent.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgifford View Post
I am already dreaming of the detailing possibilities of this model!

The hull looks excellent.
I totally agree - detailing possibilities are that's what I like, filling in the model with my own constructiveness ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
PS: waterline is a good option ...
Old 10-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

The waterline option then is official! I have to look at the different era's this ship came in and maybe if some had a consensus on what to do, or, maybe just do the main superstructures, cranes, lifeboats, and leave the rest up to those who will be getting the model, seeing how the list has grown since yesterday. Please feel free to post any ideas.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
My thoughts would be to do her as delivered and then if someone wants to do a different era then they can go from there.

I like the thought of just the basic ship (hull and superstructure) then letting the individual model to their hearts delight.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgifford View Post
My thoughts would be to do her as delivered and then if someone wants to do a different era then they can go from there.

I like the thought of just the basic ship (hull and superstructure) then letting the individual model to their hearts delight.
I like that idea also, for different reasons probably, (much less work!).
Google Adsense