PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.47 MB
Scaledecks

I was undecided as to where to post this thread, here on Ships and watercraft, or Found it on the internet. I decided on Ships and watercraft for I think it is more interesting to the ship builder in general. I will not be affended if Rick thinks I am wrong.

For a long time I have been unhappy with the decking included on many ship models. My biggest complaint has been color. I think Orange is totally unsuitable for a deck. I have been all over the net looking for a paper supplier that offered a deck looking matterial for decks. I finally stumbled on, www.scaledecks.com.

Scaledecks offers decking in Natural Maple, Natural Teak, Tinted Wood, and Matte Photographic Paper. Yes this is real wood backed with Thermal Fleece for strength and glueing, and is super thin like card stock. Perfect for papermodeling. They each come in scales of 1/700, 1/400, 1/350, and 1/200. The 1/200 can also be used in 1/250 and 1/192 scales. The deck sheets are offered in sizes 5 X 14 in. and 10 X 16 in. By cutting out the deck from your kit and using it as a pattern you will be able to achieve a degree of realizm not seen before. I speak from experiance.

Scaledecks have been in the plastic ship model field for years and have wanted to get into the world of paper. They offer precut decks for many plastic models on the market today. When I say precut, they lazer cut and print there deck pieces just like the lazer cut frames for papermodelers.

One of the sevices offered is custom deck cutting. For a fee of $100.00 and a high resolution image of your deck they can custom cut your deck, including all deck openings.

John Digiantomasso is the force behind Scaledecks and is a super friendly guy, willing to help and work for you. Check out his website, www.scaledecks.com.

Respecfully,
Dennis
Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another method might be to print your own! It seems there are quite a few folks selling paper backed veneers starting at under $2.00 a sheet. I've seen some specifically formulated for inkjets, some for laser and many others general purpose. Check this out
Sheets-Paper Backed
Old 11-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Had a quick look at their website. My worry would be that the samples they show are very grainy, and if you print out your deck on any of them, it is going to look like a deck printed on one piece of wood, rather than individual planks plus the grain pattern is going to be vastly overscale.

Brian