PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
IJN Hosho 1:400

- HOSHO CLASS AIRCRAFT CARRIER -

HISTORY

After the first experiences of aviation naval sorts with the portaidrovolanti Wakamiya in the war 1914-18, Japan decided to build two aircraft carriers, or you officially classifies better «deposit for airplanes», the Hosho and the Shokaku.

The before, whose name means flying phoenix, you/he/she was planned in December 1919 and completed in December 1922; the second, was not built instead, and you/he/she was removed by the programs to allow the construction of the two Akagis and Kaga and to reenter in the limits of the essay of Wasbington.

The Hosho was the first planned aircraft carrier as such to enter on call, because the English Furios, Argus and Eagle were converted ships and the Herme, although projected as aircraft carrier, didn't enter on call that in July 1923.

As all the aircraft carriers of the first generation, had a bridge of flight separated by the hull and sustained in the part prodiera from a series of pylon pylons, in the part instead poppiera supported on the sky of the hangar.

This bridge of flight, that was completely clear of, measured m 155,15x28.0.

Initially you/he/she had been provided of a small superstructure on the right side in which the bridge was systematized but in 1923 the superstructure you/he/she had been eliminated and the bridge moved in the superstructure prodiera under the bridge of flight, as in the American Langley and in a lot of other Japanese aircraft carriers.

The chimneys were three, on the right side, out of the bridge of flight and all abbattibilis toward the outside; also the only tree was abbattibile toward the outside.

The principal armament, constituted by 4 guns of 140 mms, you/he/she was systematized in four postings systematized to the sides of the bridge of cover: two to proravia of the bridge and two to proravia of the hangar, that resulted so you place to center ship.

The two pieces from 76 mms a.a. they were instead on the bridge of flight, one for side, to proravia of the chimneys.

To the beginning of the war such guns were disembarked and replaced with 8 gunner by 25 mms in four postings binate.

The ready airplanes in the hangar were 7 from hunting, 10 from bombardment and 4 from recognition for a total of 21 instruments; other S could be transported gotten off, for a total of 26.

To lift the airplanes up to the bridge of flight and to bring them in the hangar there were two elevators; there were not vice versa crane to lift the hydroplanes from the sea as on a lot of the aircraft carriers English and American of the epoch.

On this ship the first appontaggio of a Japanese pilot was performed (however you/he/she had been preceded on February 22 by the pilot civil English Jordan): the day May 16 th 1923 the T.V. Shunichi Kara piloting an aerial Mitsubishi 1MFl was placed on the bridge of flight.

The apparatus motor was constituted by two groups of whirlwind with gears reduction gears, that operated two helixes; the vapor was produced in 8 naphtha boilers that unloaded in the three chimneys abbattibili.

The Hosho was in China in February 1931 during the Japanese unloading to Shanghai and his/her instruments they allowed the Japanese aerial supremacy on the area of the operations.

To the beginning of the war, in December 1941, together with the Zuiho it constituted the 38 Division aircraft carrier to Admiral Kuwabara's command and takings part to the battle of the Midway of June 1942.

In 1943 you/he/she was turned to training of the pilots and you/he/she was removed so that the war operations.

For such reason you/he/she was not sunk as the other aircraft carriers and it survived since after the end of the conflict.

Its last employment saw her/it declassed to the role of ship transport for the repatriation of the Japanese troops from the territories of the Pacific.

OK, as I had to suspend work in a voluntary manner on the IJN Akitsushima :O here I am with this wonderful project created by Ted. On a scale of 1:400, not yet published, I have the honor and the burden of making the beta testers of this model.
Soon with the start of construction photos.

Marco
Currently Building: RN Zara 1:400
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see you building this one, Marco!

Don
Old 10-30-2011, 02:28 AM

Thanks Don, I hope to be worthy of this great model. Time to warm up a little 'muscles here is the flight leader's aircraft fleet of the ship.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4942.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4943.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4944.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4945.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4946.jpg  

IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4947.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 AM

Here the parts of the hull cut and ready for installation.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4954.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Marco:
All that history was a pleasure to read. I have never built one, but I always watch with fascination when another builder goes to work on an IJN aircraft carrier. They have always interested me. And this one has the double winged aircraft! All the better.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work on that tiny little Mitsubishi 1MF fighter.

Don
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Wow! that fighter is awesome! Just a quick note on the hull, the top piece with the logo goes between bulkhead 17 and 13. they should be full height while the bulkheads in between should be .5 mm shorter. Also when starting to apply the hull plates, start with the back piece first lining up the tall part with the bulkhead # 13 the proceding aft. You can trim alot better that way. Going towards the bow should be routine.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Very nice Marco, and thank you for the detailed history, I am not very familiar with naval vessels, but recently saw a history channel show on aircraft carriers, and noticed a bit of overlooking these Japanese ships which were certainly as advanced for the time as any..watching..
Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 AM

Mike,Don,Glen thank you very much!

Ted, thanks for the advice.

The skeleton of the ship is ready. How long is this ship. Definitely the longest I've ever done.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4955.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4956.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4957.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 AM

The Hull is completed, I had a little problem with the upper deck that I was slightly too high,but with the trim work and awards I was able to draw well enough.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4958.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4959.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4960.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4961.jpg   IJN Hosho 1:400-img_4962.jpg  

Google Adsense