PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 518.43 MB
When Liverpool was Dixie

I recently posted an article on how I did the water effects for Burghead. I showed a frame grab of the Mersey and on the left was a view of a ship yard. I realised that this was Lairds shipyard that built the CSS Alabama which was crewed by Liverpool sailors. I see a lot of interest in civil war ships on this site and plenty of models are available on it. We have exhibitions on at the moment as it is the 150th anniversary of the war. Liverpool was the confederations biggest supporter. The first shot of the war was on a cannon built in Liverpool and the last surrender took part on the Mersey almost 6 months after the war ended. I am posting a few screen grabs of sites of interest for civil war fans. The confederacy had its own embassy in Rumford Place and the plaques off the wall are pictured below. There was talk of raising the Alabama a couple of years ago and bringing it back to Liverpool and putting it on display in one of the dry docks.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
When Liverpool was Dixie-bbc-liverpool-local-history-american-connections-liverpool-confederate-connections-cop.jpg   When Liverpool was Dixie-lairds-shipyard-css-alabama-builders.jpg   When Liverpool was Dixie-liverpool-home-confederate-fleet-liverpool-wiki-copy-copy.jpg   When Liverpool was Dixie-when-liverpool-dixie.jpg   When Liverpool was Dixie-www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk-maritime-collections-americancivilwar-documents-american-civil-war-t.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 706.99 MB
Thanks for that bit of history, Bob. It reminds me that I'd like to see more models of the blockade runners of that era. The later ones were apparently on the cutting edge of technology when it came to speed.