PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Tired of waiting

I am a pretty patient guy but I have waited long enough. I have looked and looked for a good yacht model but there are none out there. Been waiting for years hopping some one would design one but no one has. I finally got tired of looking and decided to try my hand at designing my own. After designing the container cranes I got the design bug so figured I would try my hand at some thing more challenging.

I am basing my design off the well known yacht, "Pelorus". It is the world's nineteenth largest luxury yacht at 115 metres (377 ft) in length.

My design is not going to be exactly like the Pelorus but close, I am adding another lower deck on the aft and doing the bow differently. I have printed all the skins on photo paper and glued them to card stock, they are nice and thick but not to thick that I can't work with it.

I do have one question to ask of you guys, I am planing ahead and am worried about the radar domes (pic added) and how to design them, does any one have any tips they could give me or know of any models with that rounded shape I could go by?

I will post pictures of my progress as I go along.
Attached Thumbnails
Tired of waiting-608248.jpg   Tired of waiting-radar-domes.jpg   Tired of waiting-dsc_0062.jpg   Tired of waiting-dsc_0061.jpg   Tired of waiting-dsc_0064.jpg  

Tired of waiting-dsc_0065.jpg   Tired of waiting-dsc_0066.jpg   Tired of waiting-dsc_0068.jpg  

Last edited by Inky; 11-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Never mind about the radar domes I figured some thing out, I will use 6mm plastic airsoft bb's and paint them white and for the big one I will find some thing laying around. Finaly realised not every thing has to be made of paper.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hi, Inky!

Looking real nice!

I have to admit not many out there, but there are a few. Not sure how many commercial yachts are available, I know WHM offered one called "Christina", or something like that, but that was an older vessel.

BTW, I am still trying to find time to build those container cranes, just didn't have a spare moment last weekend, but I will and provide you with build pictures, very nice design!

On this one, those radome are so round that it is difficult to replicate them in paper at that size...I have seen (and used) small beads to represent spherical structures, but have also seen designers use a long strip with a deminishing width along the length so that when rolled up it comes close to making a sphere, the widest part of the strip being the middle, the narrowest being the outside edge of th sphere. Hope that explanation clear enought to give you an idea of what I am talking about...

Just curious, what is the method you used to design hull shapes? I have followed Wilfrieds wonderful tutorial a while back and have a dormant project for a 1960's-ish merchant ship in my files using his method, but was wondering how you tackled the initial shapes.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this new one!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Doing a fine job. I don't remember the post, but someone else was looking for spheres and Dave gave a link to a site that had various shapes. Maybe he will help us out again here. There are a number of Geometric shapes out there. Do a Google search for sphere papermodel, and I'm sure you will find what you are after.

Nevermind
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
Hi, Inky!

Looking real nice!

On this one, those radome are so round that it is difficult to replicate them in paper at that size...I have seen (and used) small beads to represent spherical structures, but have also seen designers use a long strip with a deminishing width along the length so that when rolled up it comes close to making a sphere, the widest part of the strip being the middle, the narrowest being the outside edge of th sphere. Hope that explanation clear enought to give you an idea of what I am talking about...

Just curious, what is the method you used to design hull shapes? I have followed Wilfrieds wonderful tutorial a while back and have a dormant project for a 1960's-ish merchant ship in my files using his method, but was wondering how you tackled the initial shapes.

Thank you Jim. I figured with you being a ship lover you would be the first to post on this.

I do understand your explanation on making sphere's and that is a great idea, I will have to remember that. I did decide to use 6mm plastic bb's and some other art beads I have.

As for the design of the hull, for the front bow I mainly copied the design of Schreiber-Bogen's, "Meteor". I found it to be pretty close to what I was looking for. I went through allot of model designs looking at the hulls to get ideas. As for all the rest I am just going by trial and error.
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Paper Models of Polyhedra has a pdf paper model of a globe available near the bottom of the page. You can resize it.

Another thing to think about is to use styrofoam balls. They come in many diameters. You could even skin one if you want paper showing.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Thank you Scetoaux.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
About the only comment I have is that , (this is my opinion now) you may be a little flat on the sides for the length . It,s been my experience that a slight curve slips through the water a little easier . papersurprise50
Old 11-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersurprise50 View Post
you may be a little flat on the sides for the length .
So you are saying the sides of my vessel are to much of a 90 degree and they need to be rounded out more? You have a very good eye.

After reading your comment I thought about it and couldn't agree with you more. Bare in mind though, this is my first time to design a ship and I am learning as I go.

Thank you for you tip, I will keep it in mind and apply it to my next ship design.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
you are right. not everything has to be paper, unless one is a purist. usually such things are done (according to scale) by "petaling up", "petaling down", or by "circular graduation". multi-media does have advantages. good looking yacht project, btw...